G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

which exhaust sounds like the stock one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which exhaust sounds like the stock one?

I was just wondering which exhaust out there retains that sweet sound like the stock one but is a little louder. Looking to free up the exhaust system by taking out cats, putting on headers and going with an exhaust but I love the sound of the stock exhaust so much.

Old 04-04-2004, 07:19 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: which exhaust sounds like the stock one?

That's why I like my Borla. It's similar to the stock sound but just a little louder. Looks great too.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 04-04-2004, 07:26 PM

You wouldn't have to have some audio of your Borla, would you? )

-Chris

Old 04-04-2004, 07:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Chris,
Don't think they'll post here, but send me your email by p/m and I'll send them to you.
Colin

<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 04-04-2004, 08:28 PM

I believe the nismo exhaust is closest.. I have a clip of before and after with the nismo exhaust and rt cats being after..I can send em to ya through email if you'd like

Old 04-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Out of all the exhausts I've heard so far, the Borla is probably the closest to stock, not to mention it has rather impressive power gains with the true dual configuration too....

Justin @
EverythingG35.com

Old 04-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Stillen also has some impressive power gains, although it doesn't sound quite as close to stock as the Borla does.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 04-05-2004, 07:01 PM

Say, tonio, I might agree with you that the NISMO exhaust comes close to the stock, G35C exhaust sounds. But, with RT cats? Haven't heard that setup, but everything I've read re the RTs are that they make a large improvement in power and sound. If that's correct then the sound's got to be way beyond stock, yes?

Waiting for your words.

BONDg35c

Old 04-05-2004, 07:37 PM

hey gixxer,

You might want to try putting the headers and high flow cats on your car BEFORE you buy the exhaust. The sound of the air intake and the RT Cats alone has made my car sound so much different than stock two times now. It may/may not be the sound you are looking for, but unless you hear the mods you won't know. This weekend I'll be adding the Crawford Plenum to the mix, and expect a different exhaust note yet again.

So far the order went...

1. Z-Tube/ JWT Popcharger - cool sound at anything above 3500 rpms during acceleration in lower gears. Also, a cool sound in 5th or 6th at low rpms like 2000-ish when I give the car gas. The sound is like a lions growl, deep and addicting.

2. RT Cats - (Added after the intake) Made the car sound more "raspy" (don't know of a better way to describe it). Not as deep as the intake mod alone, but more aggressive and much meaner. At WOT (in first and second gear getting onto the highway) the car sounds so darn mean. Much moreso than stock.
3. Plenum - I have no idea, but am 100% sure that the exhaust sound will change again. The same goes for the flippin Y-Pipe that AL503 and I purchased over a month ago.

The point above is that Each INDIVIDUAL mod regarding air entering and air exiting your system can change the exhaust note a substantial amount by itself. If you like the stock sound, you'll need to add all the mods you want and THEN add the exhaust that gets you back to the sound you're looking for. If you need a deeper tone, maybe you'll choose the Injen, or maybe the BORLA or Stillen. If you spend your money on the exhaust first, you will have no idea if you want sound you'll end up with.

Again, if you pick an exhaust solely for sound I recommend WAITING until you've done the rest of your mods FIRST. If you want an exhaust solely for the purpose of performance enhancement, then you can add the exhaust whenever you want.

I hope this message is clear, after two 7&7's and an 11+ hour day at work (following a time change) I know what I want to type, but am not sure if the message is coming across as clearly as intended.

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR | Willow | Premium | Aero | Splash | BSM
30% Lumar Tint | Invinca Shield (C-Bra)
Z-Tube | JWT Pop Charger | RT Cats
JIC Y-Pipe & Crawford Plenum (on order)

Old 04-05-2004, 09:13 PM

anyone willing to host these files? I'm going to try and email them tonight but I just figured I'd try. The sound of the car with the nismo exhaust and rt cats is unbelievable..it definitely turns heads.. theres days when I get no less than 3 or 4 people asking me to rev the engine on the road. The clips I have are right after I got the exhaust swapped out..since then the sound has changed a little bit..its a little deeper so it doesn't seem as loud

Old 04-05-2004, 11:27 PM

Go to the FAQ/DIY forum, and there's a thread in there called "Exhaust Comparion" or something like that. It has a link to a page with tons of videos of exhausts. They're all on 350Zs, but it shouldn't make much, if any, difference.

And here's a link to a site with some other exhaust clips:
http://www.zfilms.org/SportZMag/DynoDay2003/

2003.5 G35 Coupe 6MT Black/Willow
- Texas Tech Mechanical Engineering - Texas Tech Advanced Vehicle Engineering -

Old 04-06-2004, 09:15 AM

Does the Nismo sound higher pitched than say Borla or Stillen? Sound files I've heard from the dyno day seemed to sound this way.