G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Vdc????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
I will ALWAYS leave vdc on.

teh VDC will only go off if you do something you SHOULD NOT BE DOING.

e.g. if you lose traction for whatever reason, you SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Lost traction in the rain and VDC kicked in? Either your tires are way too low, got the wrong tires, or you're going TOO FAST.
Uh, revving to redline in first and then shifting to second is not something I would say I should not be doing, lol. Especially if I'm at the track or trying to beat oncoming traffic. I think VDC is great in the rain if you are really pushing it, but other than that I don't see the point of it. Even in dry conditions it seems it's only useful if you're pushing it through twisties and want to see the limits of your sideways traction.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have mine off on nice days when you want to occasionally stomp on the gas and slam a couple gears without looking like you missed a gear, cuz if you redline it your def gonna set off the vdc, but on rainy or wet days i always keep it on,

and sometimes i think it can cause an accident more than prevent one, you'll get that driver that uses his signal late or never and you slam on your brakes with someone close on your tail, so you downshift and floor it, but the engine dies thats when i think it is useless.

VDC is good/bad for many reasons, though there have been some studies that there have been less accidents with cars equiped with vdc than not

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
You are right, K, but remember that to some folk this may be their first rwd car, or the most powerful car. OR to some people, they don't actually need to 'get the rear out' at every opportunity.
I wasn't suggesting getting the "rear out" ever I think its stupid and not to mention very dangerous to do on a open roadway for many reasons. I just find it funny the posts saying that if you had VDC off that if you slammed on the gas that the G would just be uncontrollable you guys should go drive some American Muscle and then drive your G and you would see what I'm talking about. My first car was a 66' Mustang with a 351 Windsor in it. After I hit a large animal and totaled it I got a 02' Ford Lightning truck S/Ced now those are some raw power that if you just stood on it, it would get away from you very quickly. I ate my first set of tires on the Lightning in about 1.5 Months. All i'm saying is that anyone should be able to handle this car with no problems if not go get a civic or a moped or just quit driving all together.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by falconey
Uh, revving to redline in first and then shifting to second is not something I would say I should not be doing, lol. Especially if I'm at the track or trying to beat oncoming traffic. I think VDC is great in the rain if you are really pushing it, but other than that I don't see the point of it. Even in dry conditions it seems it's only useful if you're pushing it through twisties and want to see the limits of your sideways traction.
Redlining is fine. Chirping means you're shifting is inprecise. I can shift at redline resonable quickly without chirping the tires, and WITHOUT setting off the VDC.

If you're at the track, it should be off anyways, shouldn't it?

I have a question for you. Do you wear your seatbelt when you drive? Do you know how much resistance there was to seatbelts, even when the government required all cars to have it? All cars will be required to have some sort of stability control, and eventually, it'll be accepted as well.

Originally Posted by KRoyal
I wasn't suggesting getting the "rear out" ever I think its stupid and not to mention very dangerous to do on a open roadway for many reasons. I just find it funny the posts saying that if you had VDC off that if you slammed on the gas that the G would just be uncontrollable you guys should go drive some American Muscle and then drive your G and you would see what I'm talking about. My first car was a 66' Mustang with a 351 Windsor in it. After I hit a large animal and totaled it I got a 02' Ford Lightning truck S/Ced now those are some raw power that if you just stood on it, it would get away from you very quickly. I ate my first set of tires on the Lightning in about 1.5 Months. All i'm saying is that anyone should be able to handle this car with no problems if not go get a civic or a moped or just quit driving all together.
It's not necessarily hard to keep the car going straight, but all it takes is a single small pebble or tiny patch of dirt and you're done.

Bottom line is, VDC in a AT should never be kicking in unless you do something you shouldn't be doing.

In a MT, if you set off VDC, well, you're doing something you shouldn't be doing.

To those of you banging off shifts, do you think chirping is cool? I can chirp shifts in a 20 year old civic if I wanted to. Do you see cars chirping at the drag strip? No. If you set off VDC by chirping shifts, perhaps you should re-examine your shifting. DSG/SST/SMG systems all have very precise shifting.

Last edited by mIKE; 05-22-2008 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So thats the thing right? VDC is the law and enforces the way you drive because it kicks in when I'm pretty much breaking traffic laws.

Cool, so theres no need for police now too!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 PM
It's a safety thing, not a 'breaking the law' thing...

I mean, it wouldn't be very hard to hard limit all cars to 70 mph =P

Old 05-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't agree with the statement of VDC being set off when you are doing something wrong in an MT.....that's too blanket of a statement....it is set off sometimes when that's the case but not always....I am an excellent driver on the road and on the track.....the VDC is set up to provide a safety perimeter around the driver/car to babysit them and prevent the car from getting out of control. My VDC is triggered in the way I describe in my post above when I am pulling out into traffic...with the Hp of our cars and with the front wheels turned in the direction I want to go, IT IS NOT HARD AT ALL to break the rear wheels loose and have the electronic baby-sitter (VDC) kick in....also when I am cutting the apex on a banked interstate exit, my VDC grabs the brakes and pulsates them. I am not doing anything wrong....it is called driving. But on the other hand, the first time that I take a left turn in a wet intersecton and the VDC triggers and saves my A$$ from doing a 180 into a light pole, I will be the first to sing it's praises!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by Memphis
with the Hp of our cars and with the front wheels turned in the direction I want to go, IT IS NOT HARD AT ALL to break the rear wheels loose and have the electronic baby-sitter (VDC) kick in....
That is EXACTLY why I always say VDC always on

You know the concequences of that happening

Breaking the rear tires loose for a quick turn is not hard at all, but it is still an unintentional loss of traction, which could potentially turn into a hazardous situation.

It's rare for the VDC to completely cut power; usually it is just a reduction. The reduction itself is so sudden that it *seems* like a complete cut.

The 2nd gen G has a far far super VDC; the 1st gen's tend to cut power a lot more liberally.