G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Do I need a tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Do I need a tune?

Just put on the Stillen intake with the z-tube today! Took about a 1.5 hours. Aligning the z-tube with the throttle body and the airbox all the while making sure the OEM hose fit in the bottom of the z-tube was a BI@TCH! Nonetheless got everything done and took the G for a test drive. First impression: didn't notice too much performance gains and not much of a sound increase!

My question is: my current list of mods include MD 5/16 spacer, MREV2, Stillen intake w/ z-tube, and HKS catback exhaust.

I have an '05 6MT (REVUP). Do I need a tune or to get my ECU reprogrammed?? Or am I okay without it?? Just looking to make that final tweak so I can enjoy the ride and performance for the next few months before the mod bug hits me again

Old 05-24-2008, 01:34 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
if u want any "noticeable" gains then tune it but no u don't "NEED" it.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
if u want any "noticeable" gains then tune it but no u don't "NEED" it.
How much would it cost for a tune and how much HP increase are we talking about??

Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by DOCSG35
How much would it cost for a tune and how much HP increase are we talking about??
the cost is about 600 if u go with uprev Osiris, check the tuning section there is ton of info about this expect anywhere between 10-20 peak hp and a nice power curve.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:47 AM
Truly, If I had a choice to do it all again, I would save my money from the modded world unless your going FI. It seems that tunes will make only a slight difference with many mods on G's. But I will say your car will sound nice after you do a full exhaust. But if you must go with all mods then get yourself a Greddy ULT emanage and have a shop install and tune, it will help make those mods come to life on the car. Good Luck

Old 05-24-2008, 01:50 AM
^well if i could do it again i would just do it exactly how i did it. Shaved off 0.5 seconds off of my 1/4 mile time and added another 2-4 mph on my trap speed also never have to worry every time i go WOT thinking which shop is going to be open if my turbo/supercharger fails.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:54 AM
So if I understand you guys correctly: by getting a tune, I'm essentially "unlocking" the full HP/performance from all of my after market mods. Am I correct??

Then my next question is: which is the best tune (i.e. Technosquare, Osiris, etc.)??

Old 05-24-2008, 01:56 AM
first part of ur questions: the answer is yes
As far as which one should u go with: I would personally go with the one that a local shop is familiar tuning with.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:03 AM
first part of ur questions: the answer is yes
As far as which one should u go with: I would personally go with the one that a local shop is familiar tuning with.
Thanks so much for answering my questions and helping me out. I'm pretty new to all of this. One more thing: If I get my 'G tuned, will this void or effect my warranty at all??

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by DOCSG35
Thanks so much for answering my questions and helping me out. I'm pretty new to all of this. One more thing: If I get my 'G tuned, will this void or effect my warranty at all??
It shouldn't, especially if u go with Osiris.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 AM
^well if i could do it again i would just do it exactly how i did it. Shaved off 0.5 seconds off of my 1/4 mile time and added another 2-4 mph on my trap speed also never have to worry every time i go WOT thinking which shop is going to be open if my turbo/supercharger fails.
Sounds like you got yourself a winner, if 0.5 secs is all your looking for. I guess it all depends on your goals in how fast you want to go. Are cars stock are in the low 14 sec 1/4 mile. Then you go out and spend $3,000-4,000 on many mods to stay away from FI only to run in the mid 13's and maybe and just maybe the low 13's,,,,congrats you can beat a heavy a$$ Dodge R/T Charger....LMAO

Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by kennyb
Sounds like you got yourself a winner, if 0.5 secs is all your looking for. I guess it all depends on your goals in how fast you want to go. Are cars stock are in the low 14 sec 1/4 mile. Then you go out and spend $3,000-4,000 on many mods to stay away from FI only to run in the mid 13's and maybe and just maybe the low 13's,,,,congrats you can beat a heavy a$$ Dodge R/T Charger....LMAO
ok........... First of all, i could give a rats a$$ how fast my car goes in strait line. I have spent minimum amount of money on my strait line mods. Most of my money has gone to this car's suspension. The only reason i have done the
"strait" line mods is because of the deals i got on all of them.

BTW i seriously doubt u really understand how much of a difference 0.5 seconds is in drag racing so there is no point of trying to explain anything to u.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Check out the ECU reflash offered by altered atmosphere. I heard good reviews about it.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 AM
When did this post talk about suspension?????????? Which I'm in support of much if that was what this person asked. Stick to the topic and don't try to be such an internet thug. And I know all about drag racing but once again did that person ask that?????? This person wanted an opinion....Like I said it all depends on your goals......

Old 05-24-2008, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by kennyb
When did this post talk about suspension?????????? Which I'm in support of much if that was what this person asked. Stick to the topic and don't try to be such an internet thug. And I know all about drag racing but once again did that person ask that?????? This person wanted an opinion....Like I said it all depends on your goals......
another noob that talks out his a$$. Good job douche.
Now ur free to GTFO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do I need a tune?