We have an air silencer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have an air silencer?

From this post:

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

i wasn't aware of it, anybody have a picture of it? i cut my old one in the mustang, and noticed a much improved sound tone. hmmm, wonder what would happen if we have one.

www.ironpumping.com
^^Bodybuilding Made Simple

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 03/10/03 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-10-2003, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: We have an air silencer?

I think they're talking about the resonators. That is the thing that looks like a catalytic converter on your exhaust piping. It's in the middle of the piping. The intake also has a resonator, it's the airbox.
they just keep the noise polution down.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-10-2003, 03:35 PM

i don't think it's the exhaust they're talking about. Like on the mustang, it was this snorkel tube thing that was before the air filter. Hmmm, i would go an look, but it's like -30outside

www.ironpumping.com

Old 03-10-2003, 04:20 PM

Actually if you read all the way through the thred there is one guy or two guys that really know. I helped my friend remove the silencer/pre-muffler/resonator from his Supra. It was located after the catalytic converter but before the muffler. It did exactly what the guy described in the other thred. Increased the sound just enough (that's objective), and added a little more HP not alot but you could feel the differance mostly in the top end. It's and interesting idea to try. Three worries though, 1. Cali Drivers: Will it smog? 2. Will it decrease low end back pressure which could affect low end torque? 3. Surely it will void the warranty. More studying is necessary for me.

Jason
Laser Red 03' Prem/Aero/6MT/SnRf

Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM

okay, well then i shall change my question- is there an AIR SILENCER before the air filter

www.ironpumping.com

Old 03-10-2003, 05:31 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the air box apart in both the Sedan and Coupe and no sign of any removable silencer. I expect that's built into the design of the air box which holds the filter.

I fixed your link to F/A----You had inadvertantly used upper case url........[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L8r

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>

Old 03-10-2003, 05:41 PM

ahhh, thank ye good sir- i was wondering why the url tag wasn't workign

www.ironpumping.com

Old 03-10-2003, 06:08 PM

I know the part you are talking about and it does help to silence the intake. Hence the reason that an already loud S2000 will scream like yer little sister when you add mandrel bent intake with cone filter. I the only thing that I see on the G is that it looks like it has a 2 stage intake system. A smaller intake duct with more surface area above the center grill area and a larger deeper chamber with a larger intake off to the right on the drivers side for more air when the car needs it. I think this works like a old school 4 barrel carb with smaller primary intakes and larger secondary intakes. Gives the power when you really gas it but better fuel economy and not so loud when you drive moderately. Of course I could be wrong but I think that's how it works. In the case of that other thread I'm pretty sure it's the resonater on the exhaust. I'm gonna try and get under the G tonight after work to check it out. Peace.

Jason

Old 03-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you red

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 03-10-2003, 07:43 PM
O.F. Administrator

I've just looked under my Coupe and there is a smaller type muffler about mid point between the cats and the big muffler at the back, that I believe is a resonator. Don't know how this would affect back pressure, or noise, but it probably would yield some h/p if removed. Not sure of the lagal ramifications.
L8r [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2003, 07:52 PM

correct me if i'm wrong here, but wouldn't the sound become quiter without the resonator?

i had an off-road setup with resonators on my last mustang, and you could her here from like 4 blocks away when i got on it......if anything, the resonator would make the tone louder?

www.ironpumping.com

Old 03-10-2003, 08:27 PM
O.F. Administrator

I can't imagine anything looking like a muffler would do anything but 'muffle' [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img].
Not sure about your Mustang set-up but I think it would be louder still without resonators.
I'm no expert on these things (perhaps there's a 'Muffler Man' in our midst).... just my 2 cents bro.

Old 03-10-2003, 09:14 PM

I'm just going from experience again here but if read above when we remove the resonator from my friends '89 Supra Turbo it actually got a little louder. Sounded nice in my opinion and seemed to help just a little in performance. I think that the word "resonater" my not fit best. I have heard called the pre-muffler as well. Logic would say that all it does is add a bit of sound deading in between the cat and muffler. Who knows maybe that was the only way they could get that great sound. I do love how it sounds! But you might be right about it being quiter. Although if you really think about it I don't think they would have many problems with too little sound coming out of a great engine like the VQ. More likely too much which required a little pre-mufflging. Maybe I'll ask the Service manager when I go in on Sat. Sorry guys I love to blab about this car! = D

Jason

Old 03-10-2003, 09:25 PM

i also think resonator is the wrong word- pre-muffler is best

i had resonators put in instead of mufflers, and basically what it did was take the sound an amplify it (like add more bass). it even sounded louder than magnaflows (for those who've heard those on a V8 mustang)

www.ironpumping.com

Old 03-10-2003, 10:08 PM
O.F. Administrator

could be dude, yeh I had 'glass packs' way back and they were pretty loud and throaty. Maybe these resonators are supposed to make the sound lower and mellower, not sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: We have an air silencer?