G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why not... Boxster S vs. Gcoupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Why not... Boxster S vs. Gcoupe

Two very different cars. Straight line performance is as others have commented, a drivers race. I've driven my friends Boxster (nonS) quite a bit. It is not faster than my G. It's definetly fun and tossable though. More direct road feel through the steering wheel and an overall more visceral feel than the G. Also the quality is not there. Porsche has had many nagging quality issues too. That said the G has comparable performance, great looks and quality, and a back seat. It also handles great as well. Anyone shopping for a Boxster probably wouldn't be looking at a G, however I think the G, despite the price is a step up. The Boxster is more of a weekend toy.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:29 PM

The G35 is not exactly a bottom of the line Infiniti. I don't know about you, but I bought it with full knowledge that this was the 350GT Skyline in Japan. Have you looked at the Q45? That thing is hideous. Boxster on the other hand is a cheap (relative) Porsche. Just like a 330ci to an M3.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The G35 is not exactly a bottom of the line Infiniti.

<hr></blockquote>

Sure it is! What's beneath the G35? One could argue the I35, but I think they're comparable - at least they are in price. Technically, the I35 is a notch up on the luxury ladder over the G35 (but not in performance).

Technically the G35 is simply a rebadged Nissan. A top of the line Nissan, but a Nissan nonetheless.

The Q45 is the flagship Infiniti product, whether you like the looks or not - it is the top dog among the Infiniti line.

What makes the G35 different than your typical luxury car food chain is that it has the best performance of any Infiniti model by far, yet its also the cheapest. But if you were to follow the traditional luxury car buyer's path, you would start out with an entry level G35 or I35 to get you accustomed to Infiniti products, then trade it in for a mid-level M45, then trade that in for a top of the line Q45. All the luxury car makes want you to do the same thing, and they have their products stratisfied the same way.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 05-05-2004, 10:05 PM

As I said, that is what I find unique about the rear quarter panel design of the current Boxster -- this same relationship between it and the rear deck. It has the same downward slope between the fenders which emphasizes the extension of the latter. Put headlights where the tailights are... squint your eyes and there's perhaps a plausible front end there.

<hr></blockquote>

Looking again at the pic of the 550 you posted I see better what you're referring to specifically. The Boxster doen't have as much of a sloping rear deck as that though, which is why I was comparing it to the other cars I mentioned. In either case though, sloping deck or "haunches", it does echo classic designs, and is a modern classic in its own right IMO. I think we see eye to eye on that.

Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 PM

z2g and dragoncoupe both said what i was thinking. i have nothing against the performance of the boxster s. in fact my friend has one. yes the g35 is one of the cheaper models in the infiniti line but its friggin nice! also its quality is still up there. hey, car and driver car of the year. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] infiniti does have other vehicles for more practical use n such.
whenever i'm out driving i usually see a regular boxster driven by some lady. some hot blonde girl in my highschool had one too, back in 97-98?. she supposedly wanted to be a **** star. lol, anyway...i look at the boxster of the porsche models similar to that mercedes weird hatchback thingy. you're paying all the money for the car's logo. i guess the boxster s pushes itself up a bit, but its still a boxster to me.
hope no one takes offense. this is just my opinion so i'm not hating on anyone.

[ 2004 G35 coupe ] - | 6MT | Black/Graphite | Premium |

Old 05-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Team Transport Member

Zo6 Needs to just stay on a straight road for a G runs him off a canyon!

Old 05-06-2004, 03:24 AM
In Search of Magic

Zo6 Needs to just stay on a straight road for a G runs him off a canyon!

<hr></blockquote>

What kind of a dumb ***, ignorant comment is that.

Z06 is probably the most knowledgable guys here and he does own a Gcoupe. So you should stay off the road before he runs you off a canyon with his Z06 [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------------

03 CB Coupe 6MT
www.itclan.com/g35

Old 05-06-2004, 08:55 AM

it might sound a little far fetched, but i rather have my g35 than the top of the line q45. i'm only 21 so a car like that is a little on the more mature side. also, out of the infiniti line, i've liked the fx45 best, but that is also a little on the more mature side since its more practical. i'll take either car in a few years, but for now i'll enjoy my G35. now if it was at the level of a porsche, i'd take the gt2 over the boxster s right now. i'm sure you all would as well. hehe
ok, and enough of the off topic discussion. sorry [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 2004 G35 coupe ] - | 6MT | Black/Graphite | Premium |

Old 05-06-2004, 01:13 PM

I had an '03 Boxster S manual prior to my auto Coup and can tell you first had that it would be a drivers race.

"Some people see thing as they are and ask WHY? I dream of things that never were and ask WHY NOT?"

Old 05-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Z2G

how in the world is the g35 sedan or coupe just a rebadged nissan?!?! i don't recall any line-up within nissan that has anything remotely similar to the g35 coupe/sedan. now you can say that the qx4 is just a rebadged pathfinder, which it totally is. the only thing even close is the 350z but even that doesn't share the same chasis, wheelbase, etc. they only share the same vq engine which was so successful that it's a no brainer to use in other vehicles.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:44 PM

A Z06 is just a rebadged C

OG 03.5

Old 05-06-2004, 02:43 PM

The Z does not have the same wheelbase, but I think our cars share a lot more than you seem to think. Also, as stated above, the G35 is sold as the Nissan Skyline in Japan. Most Infiniti cars are sold under the Nissan name in Japan. The "Inifiniti" brand is just a marketing tool, just like Lexus and Acura.

gunga

Old 05-06-2004, 03:18 PM

how in the world is the g35 sedan or coupe just a rebadged nissan?!?! i don't recall any line-up within nissan that has anything remotely similar to the g35 coupe/sedan. now you can say that the qx4 is just a rebadged pathfinder, which it totally is. the only thing even close is the 350z but even that doesn't share the same chasis, wheelbase, etc. they only share the same vq engine which was so successful that it's a no brainer to use in other vehicles.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm sorry, but you're misinformed.

The G35 Coupe is the identical car the Nissan Skyline in Japan. The G35 Coupe also shares the same chassis, suspension, engine, transmission, practically everything with the Nissan 350Z. Basically the only difference is the G35 Coupe's frame was stretched to make the car longer to accomodate a back seat.

Another example of a rebadged Nissan, besides the QX4 as you mentioned, is the I35, which is simply a Nissan Maxima with Infiniti badges and some extra luxury features.

Cars like the M45 and Q45 I don't consider rebadged since there is no Nissan equivalent sold of such cars, although anything produced by Infiniti is technically Nissan anyway.

I'm not saying that's bad - just pointing it out. Like someone else said, the Infiniti brand is simply a marketing tool in the U.S. for Nissan. Sometimes the cars are unique to Infiniti, but mostly they are variants of the Nissan line.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:19 PM

A Z06 is just a rebadged C

<hr></blockquote>

Hey, I like my Cheby!! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-06-2004, 04:17 PM
Z2G

of course, we all know that the nissan skyline is the exact same car as the g35 coupe. but it's known that here in america, certain car maker's have to introduce a totally separate car company like lexus, acura, infiniti, etc. to sell their higher-end cars since people here in america are set in their ways--that is, for example, oh that's just a toyota, nissan, or honda. acura was the first to do that because people here couldn't separate the higher end hondas from their notion that hondas are weak, economical cars. once they separated it with the acura brand, ppl then accepted that oh....acura was a stronger engined, luxury line. the same with infiniti and lexus. we all know that they are made, designed by their respective companies, but they are the higher-end models of the companies.

so, my response to the g35 being just a rebadged nissan....in reality, it truly is. but that is only a product of marketing due to america's ignorance and stubborn-ness. and your very comment, just re-iterates that fact that ppl think that oh, it's just a nissan like it's a bad thing. so if the idealogy of america is what made the companies to separate the cars into individual companies to distinguish luxury line vs non-luxury, it then becomes ironic that they then say that car is just a rebadged whatever. just my opinion, because the main topic was that the boxster was a cheap, economical porsche for the masses introduced to get into the roadster market, which was totally the case

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why not... Boxster S vs. Gcoupe