G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

ORIGINAL G35 Coupe comments ring true today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ORIGINAL G35 Coupe comments ring true today

Hey folks,

This is direct from the introduction of the G Coupe in Car & Driver, January 2003. Here's the link to the original article: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

I just thought this really rings true to me when I complain to myself about the gritty shifter, (potential) oil consumption, and poor gas mileage. This is what it's all about! Also it's a fun endorsement of the car from three legendary journalists from C&D.

Infiniti G35 Coupe - Counterpoint

(continued)

There will come a time during the ownership of a 350Z when one fantasizes about hauling more than a single passenger and enjoying luggage capacity beyond that of a toothbrush and a pair of Speedos. At that point one might wish he or she had opted for the 350's larger and more elegant brother, the Infiniti G35 coupe. This is one tasty machine, a legitimate two-plus-two with accommodations for a duet of rear-seat travelers and ample trunk space for weekend jaunts. Heavier by 122 pounds and down by seven horsepower against the Z, this is not so much a sports car but rather a captivating grand tourer that ranks with the best in the world.
—Brock Yates

This coupe's low-roof shape, tapering to a high tail, really does it for me, same as the fastback Kellison GT did back when I was sketching cars in study hall. It had a low forehead and gun-slit side windows, perfect for Bonneville or for lurking in any of the small Iowa towns I might drive to. I showed my dad a picture of it once. There was a long pause. Expecting admiration, I leaned forward to hear every nuance. His verdict came down in one word: "Preposterous." Years later, when "bad" is good and "sick" is extra cool, I think this Infiniti coupe is perfectly preposterous. Make mine black. I'm way behind in my lurking.
—Patrick Bedard

I'm starting to see 350Zs roaming the streets of L.A., and the design is not growing on me as I thought it would. Reason enough to buy an Infiniti G35 coupe instead. It's a great-looking car with a just-about-perfect stance, and it flaunts elegant contours. So it's 7 hp down on the Z-car; big deal, there's enough power to have fun with, and the slightly longer wheelbase helps avoid the dreaded freeway hop with which the 350Z is amply endowed. And then there's the back seat. At six foot five, I contend that only gnomes can sit back there, but the space is great for briefcases and jackets. The final point in the argument? Infiniti dealers. Case closed.
—Barry Winfield

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I bought mine new in 03 and I will never get rid of it. I love my G Coupe!!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
My mom Had a 350z... I have a G35 coupe... I loved the Z but i love the G alot more haha

Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by silver g
I bought mine new in 03 and I will never get rid of it. I love my G Coupe!!
Mee too. I was one of the first 100 in Canada to get one and I basically had I murder someone - they were that hard to find. I wanted an 03.5 and there were only a few in the country so I drove 400KM to get one and paid list for it.

Still don't regret it a bit. I'm keeping this car for a long time.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^ Same here I wanted Silver, Black Interior, Navi and 6MT. That combo at the time was very hard to find...then one day Mission Viejo Infiniti called me and said that a customer fell out of financing and they had the exact combo I wanted. Went down there immediately and bought the car.

I have drove the **** out of her 97,000+ miles and I am getting ready to drop in a built Cosworth shortblock, APS twin turbos, and a bunch of other goodies. She's gonna be fun all over again!!