G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What gas octane do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stick with the higher octane, 91-94. I always pump 91 octane. Use a good fuel treatment like Dura Lube Advanced Fuel System Treatment if car feels sluggish, will clean out those nasty carbons robbing you from performance. I used in my last full tank fill-up about 2 weeks ago and have noticed great performance ever since....especially in the higher RPM range!

Old 07-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Chevron 93 . Onky good stuff we have here lol

Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just met a guy that works for an oil company and he said there is no real benefit for using high octane fuels. Unless of course you are driving a boosted or high performance car which I suppose this counts for. He also said IF you switch to a "cheaper" fuel stick with it...don't switch back and forth becaused that could cause prboblems

Old 07-22-2013, 03:13 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
76 100octane

Old 07-22-2013, 06:16 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
I lucked out in my recent move from BC where they have 94 at Chevron. Well... when I realized they don't even have Chevron in Alberta I figured I was going to be stuck hunting down some rare Petro Canada 94 station.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the Petro Can 5 minutes down the road has Ultra 94- and it's less than 1.65 / L

Yuss!

Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Been using chevron 92 since I bought the car, highest octane I can find in my area.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:59 PM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Eno
I lucked out in my recent move from BC where they have 94 at Chevron. Well... when I realized they don't even have Chevron in Alberta I figured I was going to be stuck hunting down some rare Petro Canada 94 station.

Imagine my surprise when I found out the Petro Can 5 minutes down the road has Ultra 94- and it's less than 1.65 / L

Yuss!
I never use 94O. I fill my tank in Point Roberts and use regular and have for several years. No issues. I throw in some FI cleaner once a month and the car runs fine. Even in my CBR1100XX I never use premium and I have 208,000 kmd on regular service intervals. I use Motul FI cleaner in my Bird. 8,000 kms on the bike since April 1st , 3,000 kms on the G since Jan 1st.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
A pair o' snails under the hood changes the rules a bit. Octane = Good.

Last edited by Eno; 07-23-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
I just met a guy that works for an oil company and he said there is no real benefit for using high octane fuels. Unless of course you are driving a boosted or high performance car which I suppose this counts for. He also said IF you switch to a "cheaper" fuel stick with it...don't switch back and forth becaused that could cause prboblems

Anything over 91 octane in a stock, unmodified average street car is a waste. Most, if not all OEM tunes use 91 as a reference for premium fuel since it;s the highest octane available in most parts of the country.

higher octane fuel resists burning, so you have more potential for power with lower octanes. Given that, no real reason to pick 93/94 octane when 91 octane is available. It certainly won't hurt, but don't feel like your car is going to explode because you put a tank of 91 in.

lower octanes are not "cheap" gas. Yes, they cost left, but the additives and detergents are the same in the fuel no matter if you use 87 or 93 octane within a specific brand of gas. Octane levels are not indicators of fuel energy content, but rather resistance to burning.

Modified cars are a whole different story, but for your average stockish street car, 91 octane is plenty. No need to start dumping super 94 or 100 octane into the tank

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 07-23-2013 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
evil-G-nius (07-24-2013)
Old 07-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts
In my area most gas stations only offer 87, 89, and 93. Only a select few I've seen offer 91, but at the gas stations I fill up at (usually Exxon) they don't have 91 so the only choice I have is 93.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Anything over 91 octane in a stock, unmodified average street car is a waste. Most, if not all OEM tunes use 91 as a reference for premium fuel since it;s the highest octane available in most parts of the country.

higher octane fuel resists burning, so you have more potential for power with lower octanes. Given that, no real reason to pick 93/94 octane when 91 octane is available. It certainly won't hurt, but don't feel like your car is going to explode because you put a tank of 91 in.

lower octanes are not "cheap" gas. Yes, they cost left, but the additives and detergents are the same in the fuel no matter if you use 87 or 93 octane within a specific brand of gas. Octane levels are not indicators of fuel energy content, but rather resistance to burning.

Modified cars are a whole different story, but for your average stockish street car, 91 octane is plenty. No need to start dumping super 94 or 100 octane into the tank
Exactly. AND also mentioned here in several posts are "Name Brand" gas stations as well. This guy also said, and makes a valid point, the gas at Cheveron is no different or any better than gas at Costco or some other no name place. The regulations on how the fuel is treated is the same across the board and typically made in the same refineries. The advertised "additives" do not actually add any benefit whatsoever. They are more of a marketing ploy to set one company apart form another. He said that companies trade leftover unsold gas between each other. So sometimes, you go to Chevron and you are buying gas originally designated for Shell or someone else. He said the biggest thing to look for when buying gas, is a place with traffic. You don't want to buy gas at a place that has no cars and looks like it has pumps from the 50's. There is much more of a chance that those taks have not been used in a while, no telling how long that gas has been sitting and could quite possibly have water in that tank which of course = bad

Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by the93owner
In my area most gas stations only offer 87, 89, and 93. Only a select few I've seen offer 91, but at the gas stations I fill up at (usually Exxon) they don't have 91 so the only choice I have is 93.

That's true of my area as well. Sunoco is the only one that carries 91, so by default most often I run 93 octane.

In high altitude states, you'll find the 3 main grades are 85, 89, 91. Air that is less dense allows for the ability to run lower octanes. it's also the same reason why detonation tends to occur on cold nights (cool, dense air) vs hot summer days (hot, less dense air) and how octane needs can vary between the two seasons.

To make a long story short....91+ and call it a day

Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
This thread makes me sad. I can't believe how many people put crazy high octane in their cars and think it really gives them a performance advantage. SMH

Old 07-24-2013, 10:01 PM
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gasoline3.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...uestion901.htm

After doing a bit of research apparently I'm just drowning my untuned stockish engine with fuel that's harder to ignite (94 octane). So my understanding is your supposed to have a perfect combination of fuel that is close to preigniting (but doesn't) to make the most of your engine.

A really long time ago when I was 16 I took my bone stock 91 Honda civic and put in 94 octane in it and I honestly felt more power. That car doesn't have a lot of power to begin with so I definitely felt an increase in power. Here is a more accurate example: with 87 octane I couldn't get the tires to burn out from a stop, not even squeal a little bit. I put it 94 and immediately tried again and the wheels spun doing the exact same launch from a stop. All of that was done on a closed course obviously....

Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G_DiRTY5

After doing a bit of research apparently I'm just drowning my untuned stockish engine with fuel that's harder to ignite (94 octane).

Higher octane fuel is more resistant to spontaneous ignition due to pressure. It does not mean that it is resistant to igniting from the spark released by the spark plug.

At least that is what I took from the articles you posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What gas octane do you use?