G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clicking sound when applying brake & turning steering wheel at th esame time...HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clicking sound when applying brake & turning steering wheel at th esame time...HELP

So I have been quite annoyed by this clicking sound ever since I bought my second hand 2004 G35 Couple 5AT a year ago.. after doing some online research and had two inspections done by two mechanics.. I am 99%sure that the sound is coming from my front brake components as it only happens when i brake & turning my steering wheel..

However, I am unable to pinpoint which part of the brake is causing this irritating sound ..so after some further research.. here are the possiblities

1) When the previous owner replaced the OEM brake pads with the aftermarket ones.. he didn't do a good a job that the bedding procedure wasn't followed correctly. If this is the case, then the clicking sound can be eliminated simply by replacing the brake pads.. best scenario it is

2) Uneven rotor surface.. this is pretty self-explanary. .. the suraface of my front rotors are uneven so that when the pads are applied, it causes extra friction and thus making the clicking sound..if this is the case.. then the sound can be eliminated by replacing my front rotors.. cost slightly more expensive than 1)

3) The pistons within the rotors are becoming "sticky" after the car has been driven for 60,000 miles. Therefore when I release the brake, the piston is still screeching the pads and thus causing the sound...If this is the case, then my qusetion would be.. does anybody know if i can simply ask a mechanic (or delaership) to replace the existing piston out of the caliper without having to purcahse a new set of calipers (which are extremely expensive in Canada)???

I have contact a local dealership in Toronto today and they do sell pistons separately. but i'd like to know if ithe labor is gonna cost me an arm and a leg (or it may not even be possbile...)

Also, out of 3 scenarios how do i know for certain which one is the true cause ? (or maybe there are more possiblitiesthat i haven't considered here..)

this brake clicking sound is not THTA big of a deal for now..but it does annoy me to a point that I have loved my car a lot less....

any opinions are highly appreciated...

Robin

Old 11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honestly it sounds like rear axle click, i thought it was coming from front brakes as well but if u havent had that checked, its something to look into

Old 11-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Mine used to do the exact same thing and after a while it quit clicking. Not sure why..

Old 11-14-2008, 12:34 PM
a dumb question here..

isn't rear axle clicking supposed to be coming from the rear??

or could there be a front axle clicking?

Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it will be coming from the rear, but it is easy to think that its coming from the front, especially if driving next to a divider or something

Old 11-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I usually hear a click but isnt that the ABS testing itself?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone.

one more question here.. can anybody explain to me what these components are and whether they could possibly be the origin of the clicking noise?

- Wheel bearing ???
- tie-rod (is this the same as the Compression Rod that has been mentioned many times on this forum)?
- CV Joint (Consant velocity joint) ????
- Rear Axle ??
- Ball joint??

Thanks again Guys!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Do you hear the clicking when your turning also without stepping on the brakes?