G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just Got Into a Car Accident..=(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Would this be an issue if its totalled? I still have payments on the vehicle itself still. Wouldn't that affect anything? I don't want to be double paying if this comes to worse. Anyone had that situation happen yet? A car still being paid for has been considered totalled and get another car; pay for the new car? I don't know if that's confusing..ahh..I'm still trying to figure this out.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz112
Would this be an issue if its totalled? I still have payments on the vehicle itself still. Wouldn't that affect anything? I don't want to be double paying if this comes to worse. Anyone had that situation happen yet? A car still being paid for has been considered totalled and get another car; pay for the new car? I don't know if that's confusing..ahh..I'm still trying to figure this out.
If it's totaled they give you a check for how much the car is worth, which in your case, is a good amount. How much did you have left to pay?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
still continue to send in your payments. your insurance will call in the lienholder and ask for the payout. Insurance will then send you a few papers basically stating that you give them full rights to take the car from you and blah blah, they will then write a check to the lienholder and thats it. whatever difference they have they will send to you. unless its valued at less than what you owe. then thats when gap insurance comes into play i guess

Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I still owe roughly around under $10K from what I can remember. Is that good still?

Old 11-18-2008, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should be ok, depending on your insurance company. Just remember, even if its a little off what you feel the car is valued at, argue it. I sent autotrader and craigslist ads for a car that was nearly identical to mine and managed to get almost double what they originally offered me (my car was not worth much to begin with though). It's a hassle arguing with those guys but its worth it if you can get even a little bit more out of it.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Update:

The shop couldn't give the full estimate last night because I had my wheel lock with me. When I went to the shop to drop it off, they said its fixable more than likely. I was disgruntled when he said they will be using "like new" parts. I don't want to run into problems in the long run if that is what they are going to do.

Is the G35 a unibody? Cause one other shop looked at the pictures I had and he had told me its a unibody and its very fixable. I'm worried it won't run the same and also "like new" parts is the issue.

I checked N.A.D.A. the value of my car and it said $27,525 in perfect condition. It was in perfect condition until this accident. One of my buddies told me if I were to ask them just to consider it totalled, it would be illegal for that shop to give false estimate. I don't want to do anything illegal, but I already know the car won't be the same anymore and I'll definitely run through more problems in the long run. I already decided if I were to get a new car, I'd wait for the 09 G37S Coupe after driving my brother's G37S. I thought it was really smooth and its better than what I expected.

I don't know what to do or even how to confront about this in trying to get the car totalled in a sense..Any help?

Old 11-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are right to be worried because when you go to sell your car it will have a "dirty" Carfax that will kill resale on it...as soon as anyone sees the amount of damage no one will touch it..not sure if you can convince your insurance company to total it but if not dump it as soon as you can and eat the loss or drive it into the ground.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The G is unibody BUT... there are front rails running from the passenger compartment that can easily be bent and screw up everything, if not fixed properly (the car runs "skewed" - almost like running a little sideways or one wheel will be inwards more, which will mean you'll never get a proper alignment and it will handle like ****). For your sake, I hope it's totaled. You'll have less aggravation and you can go and buy something better.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont' forget that body shops thrive on insurance work. they will try to claim as much as possible before claiming it as "totaled." they will nickel and dime your insurance (since they're paying the bill) and try to take a few "shortcuts" since anything they save is money in the bank.

usually your insurance adjuster goes to the body shop your car is at and comes up with a grand total of the damage with the shop. around 70% of the cars value or more is considered to be totaled. you have the choice (with most insurances) to pick the shop to do your work. if they end up fixing the car, they will most likely use "like new" parts to offset the costs and profit for the body shop. if there's anything you don't like in how they fix your car, tell them there and don't take it back.

i hope they total it bro...the resale value on that car will be pretty bad and it most likely won't be the same.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Hope all is going well with this...BTW they ever catch the dude who ran???

Old 11-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Update from this past week:

I took my car to Crawford Auto Body and got the estimate. It was roughly around $10k starting on damages alone and they said it was fixable from how it looked. They said there was minor frame/subframe damage. All new parts are being used (thank God). I'm going back there again sometime nextweek to get a better look at how the car looks again.

No word from the Police or investigators on who had hit me from the accident. I'm really hoping they caught him by now cause thats really BS what that guy did. People need to learn how to drive more carefully these days.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
So final word: fixed or totaled?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 AM
Update:

My car isn't totalled after all. The total from the one of the final estimates was around $14,000 in damages ugh. I am going to pick up the car today and check it out. Hopefully the supposedly winter storm thats coming up won't happen? I'll post up pics and let you guys know if the car will drive the same..I really hope it does. All new parts were used on the car (Thank God).

Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 AM
Just got through the pages of this forum. First Im glad you and your GF are safe, lives cant be replaced as materials can. As for your car, I hope they deem it totaled, if not, I hope it is repaired properly and you dont experience any problems. hope all goes well bro.