Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
^^ Keep on waiting hahaha j/k

Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66

Can you afford to buy an old 4x4 truck or something as a second vehicle?
Definitely a good idea. When I had my G35 I bought a Bronco to drive around in the winter. It could have just been my experience, but trying to control the car in snow storms was difficult. I guess it depends on your price range, but have you looked into any s4's? Quattro is killer

Old 11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Sat in 1 of them S4 before with winter tires on. Happened to stuck in snow 1 time on 93N and luckily S4 buddy saw me and came to the rescue, so shameful. That car is fun in snow especially with the winter setup. I have 5 close friends, all have S4 and one of them want to get rid of his 2000 S4 due to some personal issue. It's an auto, 165K mileage, chipped by RPM and Lou's custom exhaust just to fit in the group but a real ***** on throttle. Got after market 18" as well but not sure if he will sell the car with that. One problem on the car that I know of the is CEL light is on (due to custom exhaust) but that can be piggy. He's asking for somewhere $7K, things that stop me from getting his S4 are already have winter beater and financial secrectary called a wife. Personally, if you can, get an old S4 as a winter beater, will not go wrong.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vhtran
one of them want to get rid of his 2000 S4 due to some personal issue. .
Where are you from, MA? I wouldn't mind another one

Old 11-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyman66
???

...I've had quite a few RWD cars and driven them in the Massachusetts snowstorms quite often. If you have to get up a snowy incline, your chances of making it with RWD are not that good. G35's don't have the best ground clearance either, which can be problematic in deep snow.

If I had to pick one car to drive all year long in a place that gets severe winter weather .... a G35 Coupe would not be my top choice.

Can you afford to buy an old 4x4 truck or something as a second vehicle?
Ha ha, MA Winters are for Weenies, CT Winters, now they're harsh

Traction isn't the main issue, you hit the nail on the head with clearance - I drive my G Coupe ('04) year-round, and what will stop it cold is snow much deeper than 4-6", you're screwed. It just packs up under the car, and deep slush is really harsh. Packed snow and ice, no problem, Pirelli Snowsports on 2nd set of wheels, however they cost as much as a Winter beater FWD car would have. They last about 3 Winters max in the rears, which is pretty expensive at ~$325 a tire for new ones.

As for RWD, there was a time when FWD and AWD did not rule the roads, somehow we managed - with dedicated snows, studs because snow tire tech sucked, some extra weight over the rear axle. I spent several years driving a '67 Chevy Caprice w/327 V8 in the snow in Oregon, it was a challenge but I managed to go skiing and over the passes. That car was almost as long as my truck, and you just threw the skis in the trunk.

That said, when it gets ugly, I take my Dodge RAM Hemi Quad Cab, you can't beat a serious 4WD for deep snow when it's really ugly out. I would never buy a G35 Coupe for my only car living in somewhere that gets a real Winter. I live at over 1000' in elevation, just south of the Berkshires near the MA line, we get a LOT of snow. So long as the roads are plowed, no issues, hardpack snow with good tires is OK. Just have to get used to washing the car a LOT and cleaning off the dirt and salt, get used to your G looking like crap may be a hard jump to make.

G plus my backup (in CT Winter )

Come to think of it, this pic was outside my Hotel in Central MA, lol!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by vhtran
... Personally, if you can, get an old S4 as a winter beater, will not go wrong.
And if you need serious snows to fit one, hit me up, I have a set of meaty Winter Yokohma's with one season on them in my garage attic, my bud who sold his TT (also had 18's) gave them to me as he was moving and had no need for them. Don't have the exact sizes with me, but pretty sure they fit OEM S4 wheelset, too.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
Cost of repairs alone will kill ya. My mechanic works on several for one of his better customers, parts always have to come from the dealership, and at a VERY HIGH premium. Now a new one is another story, free service for slmthing like four years.
Or just even a newer used E46, many of the well-documented problems (read:$$$) afflicted the early E46's, not later modlels. By that I am referring specifically to expensive upper end failures, problems with VANOS with higher mileage, oil consumption, etc.

Most of my friends who've owned or do down E46's are/were very happy with them, my limited personal experience is "buy newer used E46" and you won't be too disappointed at the cost - as if the cost of maintaining a G Coupe isn't pretty staggering if you go the dealer route! $1100 flywheels, $500 single replacement rotors for Brembo? Infiniti. They have NO shame at parts gouging. $500 to replace a window motor/regulator? Infiniti.

As far as "buy new", you can't (not an E46) and wth would you want to take someone else's depreciation hit for them? Buy one off lease end, whatever, you'll find plenty of 2-3 year old cars with low miles in this segment, for 60% of the cost of a new one, and that 40% pays for a lot of maintenance...

Hell I would have love to buy my G used, but it was kind of hard to do in 2003, same for the E46

Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by brianmfournier
Where are you from, MA? I wouldn't mind another one
Yes from MA