G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I buy a G35 Coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a G35 Coupe?

Hello,

I'm considering buying a used G35 Coupe. Now I doubt that anyone on this forum will tell me not to. However, I would love to learn a little bit more about what to expect in terms of common issues.

For starters, I live in Toronto and will be driving this car during the winter. Now that doesn't mean constant snow, but it happens. I'll probably get winter tires but beyond that, if anyone has winter driving experience I would love it if they shared.

Any other pros and cons that you wished you knew before buying would also be great. There will probably be 60-80km (37-50mi). What are the major maintenance issues due between now and 100km (60mi)?

If I do buy, I'm sure this site is full of discussions on performance, interior, and exterior upgrades so no point getting into those in this thread. But I do appreciate the advice of anyone who posts in response.

All the best,

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 PM
well whats ur budget?

Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
I forgot to mention I'm looking at 03-05s with manual transmissions. Most of the ones I've looked at are between $20-25K which probably looks like a lot to Americans but our currency trades a bit lower than yours (at least usually).

Old 11-16-2008, 09:20 PM
assuming thats about 18, 19k here, the G is guna be the best car for that range. RWD does well in cold weather, and its def sexy.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:55 PM
No doubt about the sexy part.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by chord42
RWD does well in cold weather
???

RWD doesn't do well in ice or snow.... 2 things that happen only in cold weather. It sure is fun to mess around and drift in snow and ice for a little with RWD, but if you need to get someplace in it... you'll do much better with a FWD vehicle and significantly better with an AWD or 4WD vehicle.

I've had quite a few RWD cars and driven them in the Massachusetts snowstorms quite often. If you have to get up a snowy incline, your chances of making it with RWD are not that good. G35's don't have the best ground clearance either, which can be problematic in deep snow.

If I had to pick one car to drive all year long in a place that gets severe winter weather .... a G35 Coupe would not be my top choice.

Can you afford to buy an old 4x4 truck or something as a second vehicle?

Old 11-16-2008, 10:15 PM
I purchased my G35 6pd brembo about 3 months ago and id say im about 50/50 on satisfaction of my purchase.

Pros
-Sexy body style
-Reasonable power for the money
-RWD and good aftermarket support for performance parts

Cons i personally have had
-Window regulators and lock actuators seem to be one of the most common and annoying problems with these cars.
-Suspension seems to have alot of little quirks with it squeaking, creaking and bushings failing pretty commonly.

If your working with a tight budget and live tight financially i dont think i would recommend the car because you need to be prepared to deal with these small occurances more often it seems than with a more reliable car. BUT its not like they are major mechanical problems so if you do have a little extra money in the bank and wrench yourself rather than taking it to a shop constantly i say its hard to compare in the cars same price range. When i shopped for mine my options at the price points were
-04+ Acura TL
-03+ Infinity G35
-04+ Nissan Maxima

I think the biggest problem with these cars mechincally people have been having is the oil consumption issue that you can read up with plenty if you search but i think i have also read that its mostly common in 05+ models. Good luck to you and hope this helped maybe a bit.

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2008, 11:14 PM
hard to deliver an answer except, what are you waiting for?

on a serious note, read, read, and read some more, this forum is one of the best site for g35s and members are very helpful...

took me a solid month of reading before i started posting...

Old 11-16-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fluffy
hard to deliver an answer except, what are you waiting for?

on a serious note, read, read, and read some more, this forum is one of the best site for g35s and members are very helpful...

took me a solid month of reading before i started posting...

A month, you lucky, lucky man. I've been on G35 and Z boards since the car first came out and learned a lot. Coming from a 2K SE Max didn't hurt a bit. It's a fun sexy car BUT, best serves as a second pleasure car. Don't think I'd ever want it as my one and only daily driver. I'd probably a good idea, as others have mentioned, to look at other cars in the same price range. I love mine, even the color of the car.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
its sexy..thats about it. i dont think they are worth the money though. not very fast, alot of cockpit vibrations. For your weather and a better car i would say look into the wrx sti. awd and alot faster. yea its not as luxurious but alot more fun. can find a used 05 or 06 for around $20,000-$25,000

Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
yes

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aramel
I forgot to mention I'm looking at 03-05s with manual transmissions. Most of the ones I've looked at are between $20-25K which probably looks like a lot to Americans but our currency trades a bit lower than yours (at least usually).
Look for an e46 M3 in that range.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan King
Look for an e46 M3 in that range.
Cost of repairs alone will kill ya. My mechanic works on several for one of his better customers, parts always have to come from the dealership, and at a VERY HIGH premium. Now a new one is another story, free service for slmthing like four years.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Too much G around already =) , get something different.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2K6G35c
Cost of repairs alone will kill ya. My mechanic works on several for one of his better customers, parts always have to come from the dealership, and at a VERY HIGH premium. Now a new one is another story, free service for slmthing like four years.
Havent had a single problem with my M.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a G35 Coupe?