G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Just a few noob questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a few noob questions..

i have a 04 g35 and looking to put in some upgrades. ive heard that a popcharger/ztube is a must. im looking for a louder/better sound compared to performance.

Are test pipes a good idea?

What is a plenum spacer?

Sway bars seem to add better performance. but how does a bar that prevents me from body roll improve performance?

any other suggestions for better sound?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
1.Are test pipes a good idea? I think they sound like ****. However, they do give you the most airflow or whatever, much improved over stock. If you want almost as much power without the crappy sound, get HFCs.

2.What is a plenum spacer?
A spacer that increases the height of the plenum, useful when used with other airflow mods,(exhuast, CAI)

Sway bars seem to add better performance. but how does a bar that prevents me from body roll improve performance?
They improve handling by keeping the car glued to the ground and the weight spread out more evenly. (I think)

btw the Z-tube/Popcharger= kinda sucking in air like FI sound. If you want a mean, deep growl, you want a different kind of CAI.
Fast Intentions exhaust, High Flow Cats.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
bro, you're about to get ripped open by the "search" douchebags, so I'll just give you what I know:

"i've heard that popcharger/ztube is a must."
If you do like louder/better sound than performance, then this is the route you want to go. Keep in mind that, because of heat-soak from the engine, you will lose a few horsepower/torque. Not down with that? Go with Stillen intake. Not as good sound, but you won't lose as much/any horsepower/torque (at least from what I've seen from other's observations on this forum).

"Are test pipes a good idea?"
Yes and no. Yes, if you want more performance/sound. No, depending on where you live (emissions) and you may get drone from an aftermarket exhaust paired with test pipes. Test pipes because of their free-flowing nature produce the smell of gas continuously, so if you're not down with that, then don't get 'em.

"What is a plenum spacer?"
A plenum spacer is a small piece of metal shaped similarly to your plenum (the part where air from the intake is taken to be split up into each cylinder of the engine). It adds more volume to the plenum spacer (especially to the space corresponding to the front 2 cylinders (closest to front of the car) and adds horespower/torque and more sound to you car. It's a mod that many will agree, one of the best-bang-for-buck mods.

Sway bars are a no-brainer; I can speak for these. I don't know why, but it seems that you think that body roll is a good thing (from how you typed your question). I can assure you it's not. The less body roll = better performance. You want to keep your car planted on the ground in the corners (obviously). I installed some Stillen sway bars, and the difference is night and day, really firms up the ride in cornering. IMO, another best bang-for-buck mods available.

"any other suggestions for better sound?"
an aftermarket exhaust? Unless you like the tone of the stock exhaust. You can also try headers, but I don't know how that affects the sound, and the cost-to-power gain is absolutely horrible [installing headers is a b!tch].

good luck with your car.
you might want to try searching a little harder next time, as it looks as though you tried but sort of gave up. most of the questions a new guy has are answers somewhere on this site already.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xXxplosive
i have a 04 g35 and looking to put in some upgrades. ive heard that a popcharger/ztube is a must. im looking for a louder/better sound compared to performance.

What is a plenum spacer?

performance comes in many forms, horsepower is just one category. if you do plan on getting sway bars, look into beefier end links as well

and the search button is your friend, it actually works pretty efficiently on this forum.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:06 PM
I've never heard testpipes on our stock exhaust, but it's something I always thought about doing. Most cars I wouldn't, but ours sound so good stock I would just like to make it louder.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:33 PM
yeah i totally agree. i dont wanna put on the test pipes and have my car sound like crap. does anybody have or as had test pipes? also how can we enhance the sound of our stock exhaust.

what is the best exhaust system out there?

by the way, thanks guys for answering my questions.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
SEARCH BUTTON!!!..but its okay ur a noob

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM
also how can we enhance the sound of our stock exhaust.
i am also curious about that.. i love the way our cars sound from the stock exhaust. is there an exhaust that will just enhance the sound and make it louder without making it sound like a civic with a pep boys fart can welded to the tailpipe?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I think either Stillen or nismo keeps the stock sound but louder on WOT..

Old 11-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts

What is a plenum spacer?