G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bodyshop paints.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by naci24
I had my metallics silver done by a friend-damage was in the quater panel, blending bumper, door for $700.00. Now Blending needs to happend unless u have a obsidian blk---What you REALLY need to make sure is that they use the vin number of the car because many shops use the code in the door and actually that code in the door has 4 different shades that are very close but not the same

Incorrect. The color code on a car, can have literally hundreds of variances to that color.

To also clear some confusion up, Glasurit is a clear coat. Not a basecoat.

Infiniti, does not use any high end clearcoat, don't ask why... They should sometime soon because our clearcoats suck. Lexus, BMW, and all other High end vehicles are using Glasurit, Speiz-Heckler (Not sure how you spell it) already from factory.

And as for the thread maker, I have never heard of "transferring" paint from one panel to the other.
I go to school for collision repair which does involve paint obviously and that is absolute crap that body shop is feeding you.
My dad also owns a collision shop here in South Fla. so that might explain how I know some of these kinds of things..

Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Solekeeper
And as for the thread maker, I have never heard of "transferring" paint from one panel to the other.
I go to school for collision repair which does involve paint obviously and that is absolute crap that body shop is feeding you.
My dad also owns a collision shop here in South Fla. so that might explain how I know some of these kinds of things..
I would assume that by transferring the paint from the fender, they meant color matching the paint from the fender.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I hope so...But I've never heard the term "transferring" paint.

Blend, yes.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Solekeeper
Incorrect. The color code on a car, can have literally hundreds of variances to that color.

To also clear some confusion up, Glasurit is a clear coat. Not a basecoat.

Infiniti, does not use any high end clearcoat, don't ask why... They should sometime soon because our clearcoats suck. Lexus, BMW, and all other High end vehicles are using Glasurit, Speiz-Heckler (Not sure how you spell it) already from factory.

They make basecoat.

http://www.glasurit.com/Products/Pas...rs/55Line.html

Old 12-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
naughty works in what i assume a quality shop since they use glasurit, and therefore know what he's talking about. i worked in a bodyshop and owned/operated one of my own for five years. all i can say here is that THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS ON HERE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, YET GO ON AND ON.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Naughty thank you for the info on the glasurit I honestly had no idea they made base.

In school we use R-M for base, Limco LC4100 for clear. my dad uses DuPont base, not sure which clear...

Old 12-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
naughty works in what i assume a quality shop since they use glasurit, and therefore know what he's talking about. i worked in a bodyshop and owned/operated one of my own for five years. all i can say here is that THERE ARE A LOT OF GUYS ON HERE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, YET GO ON AND ON.

We used Diamont lol we were too cheap for Glasurit, its still BASF though. they use the whole line 100% down to the can primers. Its quality but dont match for ****, I have tons of test cards I make then write my own formula on the back with what grams I add and leave out.

So why did you get out of it? Cause I know Im getting out soon too.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by naughty240
We used Diamont lol we were too cheap for Glasurit, its still BASF though. they use the whole line 100% down to the can primers. Its quality but dont match for ****, I have tons of test cards I make then write my own formula on the back with what grams I add and leave out.

So why did you get out of it? Cause I know Im getting out soon too.
i used to go home and sneeze purple/blue/red/silver snot for about an hour. the putty dust was even worse, two hour headache followed by body aches. i took my lsats and got into law school. graduated last year and passed my bar. i own a couple businesses, and actually want to own another shop w/o doing any of the work.