G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

disconnecting battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
disconnecting battery

plan to store the car for the winter here soon. wondering if its ok for me to leave the battery disconnected for half a year or so. for some reason i wanna say i read somewhere that the newer cars dont like to have the battery disconnected for that long. did i dream that up? thanks

Old 12-19-2008, 08:59 AM
bump

Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts
Where do you store for car? If on your drive way then just start the car every few days, plus I think you should have your car moving once a while to prevent from rusting joints. Talking about that I need a yellow top, mine keeps dying if leaving few cold days w/o start.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:37 AM
well, in the future it will be in an attached garage right next to me and i can do those things. but for this year, it will be in a storage garage in a different state. basically, im moving through the mountains in feb and dont think it will make it if its snowing and the roads are crappy, so its staying in nebraska till the summer when i can fly back and drive it to utah

Old 12-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Usually those storage rooms have AC plugs. Get a charger that you can charge straight up while the bat still on the car. I maybe wrong but you can do a research on that.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 AM
im not really worried about the battery, i can charge that easy enough or replace it if it wont take a charge. im talking about the car's electronics and things like that. i coulda swore i read somewhere that when working on newer cars, dont leave the battery disconn for longer than you have to or something. i could be completely off though

Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 AM
I think should be ok, computer will relearn it self once you put it back.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
thats what i figured, dont know where i got that from

Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
There is no problems with removing the battery. It won't mess your car up to store it that way. I've done it every single year for the past 4 winters from November until April. The only thing that might get messed up is your battery itself if you don't either put it on a trickle charger, or pull it out every week or 2 and charge it back up to max capacity. Our OEM batteries are the type that you have to fill up to, so make sure you store it with all of the chambers filled to capacity with distilled water and a full charge.

I would recommend taking your battery out with your drivers side door open, that way your window won't scrape against the lower painted edge of the roof the next time you go to open the door while the battery is not installed. If you've ever noticed... when you close the door on our cars, the window will rise up an extra 1/3" or so to make a tight seal. However.. if you open the door with it raised up all the way(due to the door having been shut while battery was installed, and then the battery is removed, so that there is no power to lower the window when you open the door), it will scrap against the roof and could possibly do some minor damage.

1) Open drivers side door and leave open
2) Remove battery with door open
3) Close door and lock with key manually(or flip the lock inside manually and close the door)

Don't forget to remove the negative battery terminal first when taking your battery out.

I also remember, reading at some point, that somebody had their CD's get stuck in the head unit because they took the battery out for a long time while they had 6 CD's in it. That probably won't happen to you, but I always remove all my CD's anyways just as a precaution.

If you need any other suggestions about storing your car.. just ask. I have the whole routine down pact, and it's an extensive 10+ hour ordeal.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:57 AM
^ that's good to read. You should start a thread on that with a good write up. So next time someone have the same question can do the search. Just my $.02

Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
thanks, im open to all of your suggestions. i did read in the car manual how to get around the window deal wth the battery disconnected. it says to have the door shut and locked before you disconnect it. it actually walks through a series of steps. this is different than what you said, thoughts? also, all i plan to do is disconnect the neg terminal and leave the battery in the car. if the circuit is not complete, its the same as having the battery completely out anyway.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
If that's all you plan so, then just leave the battery in there. People remove the bat. and put it in the warm place to save the battery life. But just dis. the neg. and leave it there = almost the same as leaving the battery connected to the car.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM
i see. i was just thinking about the clock and security things and other things that use up small amounts of current, i dont really have a warm place to put the battery so just disconn it will have to do i suppose

Old 12-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You could just take the battery with you, or hook it up to a trickle charger and cover it. I'm not sure if you can cover it, but if you can just like wrap a couple of towels around it and leave it.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM
true, its the stock battery so im not sure all the hasstle of moving it from nebraska to utah and then back to nebraska would be worth it. might be easier to just buy a new one if its dead and eat the cost rather than go through all the work. i could prob put it in the trunk and wrap it up i guess

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: disconnecting battery