G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2009 | 06:53 PM
+1

temporary used <--- seems like your the one that isn't reading properly. So if i drive like a granny for the duration of my ownership, its perfectly fine? wow. your right.. thats very temporary.

Don't bother talking.. just keep quiet. you clearly don't know what your talking about. You are trying your best to defend your point which has ZERO facts to back it up.

Since when does Temporary/no hard acceleration/driving become the same thing as "drive like a granny and its totally ok to pump regular"

lol... what a tool. Like i mentioned before, the engine is designed for premium and thanks to another post, it seems that the 05-06 revup models are even more closely designed to be used with premium.

My personal conclusion: if you own a g35, pump premium, because thats what the car is designed for. and if you can't afford that, your better off getting another job or selling the car for something more economical. Geez, i wonder what you ppl would pump a ferrari with? i'm sure it says premium unleaded fuel only on the gas cap but hey, who cares right? it still runs on regular.. (which is the god damn ****en truth... yes u can pump regular on a ferrari and guess what? it still runs.. so stfu)

Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
LOL. The manual says, Automatic coupe may use regular with decreaed performance, however Manual Transmission with the 05 - 06 Rev up motor must use PREMIUM.

Sedan Manual transmission and Coupe models

When Premium is NOT available, regular fuel may be TEMPORARY used. BUT, only under the following conditions.
* Have the fuel tank only PARTIALLY filled with regular fuel and REPLACE with PREMIUM fuel ASAP
* AVOID FULL THROTTLE AND ABRUPT ACCELERATION when using regular fuel.

I think I will follow the manual's direction since I have an 06 6mt.

Old 04-25-2009 | 06:56 PM
jibberjabbers, thanks again for posting that. Bluemeanie really needs to get his head straight!

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:06 PM
Christ, can you get so many dim people in one place? I realise English comprehension may be lacking of late, but christ, READ what I said. Find out about pre-detonation, and the calorific values of fuel. find out about engine compression, and all the other stuff that SHOULD be part of this discussion, rather than the illiterate nupties who have no idea how to put anything into context.

Feel free to read, rather than make ignorant statements based on nothing but your own ridiculous ideas. I will reiterate. This is for folks who drive like granny. Drive like a granny, and at NO point will you get to the point of knocking. This is NOT for people who accelerate hard, or any of that sort of hard driving. Maybe some of you should realise this context before you decide to add to the thread.

Don't take my word for it though... have a read...

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...3/article.html

http://www.epinions.com/content_2346164356

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...s_premium.html

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ium/myths.html

Blah, blah... Now again, and for the dimwitted amongst us, IF you are going to run your car hard, use premium...

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:38 PM
Hi,
I own a 05 SKyline 350GT Coupe, I had the 03 model previously. As a qualified Advanced Grade motorcycle engineer I would like offer my thoughts on fuel requirements.
The compression ratio an of engines does not alone dictate the octane requirement. This is determined by many factors including combustion chamber design.
30 years ago if you were running a 11:1 compression engine on anything less than race fuel you would have problems that could result in major engine failure.
Today sport bikes with 13.5:1 compression ratios can run premium or even regular in some cases. Some people do run regular and the bike will run OK, however they don't know what is happening inside their engine. While there may be no noticeable symptoms the engine may not be running as well as it could.
Taxi drivers here who carefully monitor fuel consumption report that premium fuel does deliver better fuel consumption but I guess this depends on their engine.
The manufacturer of your car does not sell gas. In fact the ability to run regular is a sales advantage. Why would they advise premium if it was not the optimum fuel for your engine?
The engineers spend many many hours during development analysing the engines running under varying loads, rpm etc, in laboratory conditions.
If they advise that the ideal fuel is premium, only a fool would not listen.
Sure your car may run fine on regular but do you want to take a chance that in the longer term the engine may not be in as good condition as it would have been on premium.

Regards

Old 04-25-2009 | 07:46 PM
I have a few things to say. I used lower octane gas "ONCE" it felt like my G was pulling a trailer, the performance dropped noticeably and I drive normally most of the time. Was it bad for the engine? Probably not but the car didn't behave the same way.

Old 04-25-2009 | 08:11 PM
I also own a 2K SE Max as a dd. Several years back when I bought my G I came up with several ways to save $$$. Since I drive my Max a lot, I thought I'd start using Mid-Grade fuel to save $$$. Worked well but nowhere as good as Premium. November 2007 thought I'd take it a step further and save tons of $$$$ and use regular, ok? Driven as a DD, not at all hard (it's an autotragic), just going up hills on the highway and freeway her in Texas it felt like the engine was going to explode from all of the pinging. I personally thought it was just simple engine failure (after all it has quite a bit of mileage). A co-worker suggested going back to premium and I almost ROFLMAOL. I did so and within two full tanks the pinging and sluggish hill- climbing was gone. Last year when gas hit $4.20 I never even thought about going back to Regular. And my better mileage was back overnight. Go figure?

Old 04-25-2009 | 08:46 PM
Performance will drop because the sensors will retard the timing to cope.

To the mechanic bloke... The calorific value, octane, and so on and so forth, how do YOU think it effects the engine? The calorific energy in 1 litre of gasoline is the same, pretty much, and the detergents you pay extra for in premium doesn't mean that the regular is ruining the engine slowly, but surely. Can you explain why you believe this? What damage can be done using a fuel that has a lower ignition point, yet not knocking? I am genuinely interested, because I haven't read anything about it damaging the engine, ever. As I say, if you are driving hard, on freeways, etc, use premium, but for grannies, it should be fine...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25691323/

Old 04-25-2009 | 09:06 PM
What it boils down to is performance in the G. Why would I want to drive around a car that is sluggish? I get the point that no damage is occurring. I will stick to premium. Cheers!

Old 04-25-2009 | 09:07 PM
Oh, sheesh. Another falls into the trap of context..

Old 04-25-2009 | 09:13 PM
No harm in lower octane agreed, I know with lower octane it just responds differently and I am not crazy. Alas I'm off for a drive.

Old 04-25-2009 | 09:16 PM
Sorry.. I thought you were one of those who think I mean put regular in, and drive the pants off it!

Old 04-26-2009 | 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Meanie
Performance will drop because the sensors will retard the timing to cope.
What's the "context" of this comment? You say premium won't increase performance...but regular will decrease performance. Sorry, I didn't realize how those are two totally different things. I guess I'm another one of the imbiciles who doesn't understand context. Funny....you're the only one who does I guess.

You sound just like the little man who reads consumer reports all day and then thinks he knows more than an actual engineer.

You are arrogant, rude, and need to GTFO.

Old 04-26-2009 | 12:23 AM
Performance will drop if you accelerate hard, high speed for extended periods, etc. The car will retard the timing and you'll run a lot richer, which means less performance. It;s basically to stop the knock at higher engine temperatures.

OK... This is how discussion works.

Person A gives a statement, possibly backed up with articles, etc...
person B then refutes that statement with evidence, articles, etc...
person C agree with A or B, or has another opinion altogewther, again backed up with some sort of evidence...

On driver it tends to go something like this...

Person A gives a statement, possibly backed up with articles, etc...
person B says "STFU noob, you're such a retard, it says on the lid"
person C says "Should get a civic, loser"

and so on... Now... Who exactly do you think comes out of the debate looking like a ****? The person who has provided evidence, or the children throwing their toys out of the pram? How about you tell me why I am wrong, and provide evidence, otherwise whatever you say will look a bit like the timing on a car using regular... retarded.

Last edited by Blue Meanie; 04-26-2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-26-2009 | 01:29 AM
Originally Posted by Wayne List
Hi,
I own a 05 SKyline 350GT Coupe, I had the 03 model previously. As a qualified Advanced Grade motorcycle engineer I would like offer my thoughts on fuel requirements.
The compression ratio an of engines does not alone dictate the octane requirement. This is determined by many factors including combustion chamber design.
30 years ago if you were running a 11:1 compression engine on anything less than race fuel you would have problems that could result in major engine failure.
Today sport bikes with 13.5:1 compression ratios can run premium or even regular in some cases. Some people do run regular and the bike will run OK, however they don't know what is happening inside their engine. While there may be no noticeable symptoms the engine may not be running as well as it could.
Taxi drivers here who carefully monitor fuel consumption report that premium fuel does deliver better fuel consumption but I guess this depends on their engine.
The manufacturer of your car does not sell gas. In fact the ability to run regular is a sales advantage. Why would they advise premium if it was not the optimum fuel for your engine?
The engineers spend many many hours during development analysing the engines running under varying loads, rpm etc, in laboratory conditions.
If they advise that the ideal fuel is premium, only a fool would not listen.
Sure your car may run fine on regular but do you want to take a chance that in the longer term the engine may not be in as good condition as it would have been on premium.

Regards
+1. Excellent. exactly.

Now, BlUE_MEANIE you troll, you've been muted. YOU ARE the one that is out of context. This thread is about PREMIUM GAS on the G and if its required... not if you can run the G without it with other side effects. No one wants to know if they can do ANYTHING with side effects. You seem to argue that the G doesn't need premium since you can drive like a granny and get away with regular.

go pump your cheap gas tool. After reading your nonsense, i can only imagine what sort of stuff you pull to pinch your pennies.

Old 04-26-2009 | 01:35 AM
Whatever... That is exactly the type of ignorant response I talked about earlier. How about you go back and read the original post. As i said, and as people don't seem to bother reading anythng anymore, they just jump head first into a thread, I use premium. Always have, and always will. I use 93 in fact, but hu hum. That is by the by. I'm outta here. Too many ignorant idiots who have no idea how to articulate themselves in a discussion. No-one, and I repeat, NO-ONE has shown anything to show that what I say is incorrect.

I stand by what i said. if you drive like a granny, you can use regular. How this is such a killer statement, that brings out the arsehole in people, I don't know. It's not a ridiculous statement, and I have researched it to boot. However, that is not good enough for you redneck idiots. I'm done with the pathetic, childish jibes, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premium Gas