G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Premium Gas

read this article on aol this morning thought i would pass it along....

http://autos.aol.com/article/car-new...ne/20090422002

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
To save everyone trouble, heres what it says at the end of the article.

-----
If your car wasn't built with an appetite for premium, save yourself the money.
-----

So this article is basically for people putting premium on cars that aren't made for premium. Our G takes premium, Whats an extra 5-15 cents per gallon? No need to nickle and dime things. If you are, you shouldn't be driving a G.

How much are you really saving by ditching premium? $1-2 per fill? LOL

Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
thanks...i didnt read the whole thing.. just thought something for ppl to read...and thats true...if you cant afford premium you cant afford a G

Old 04-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Put premium in if you can. However, as long as you don't drive like a ****, and don't overheat the engine, the ****ty fuel will suffice. The premium really only stops pre-detonation.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
To save everyone trouble, heres what it says at the end of the article.

-----
If your car wasn't built with an appetite for premium, save yourself the money.
-----

So this article is basically for people putting premium on cars that aren't made for premium. Our G takes premium, Whats an extra 5-15 cents per gallon? No need to nickle and dime things. If you are, you shouldn't be driving a G.

How much are you really saving by ditching premium? $1-2 per fill? LOL

Actually premium around here is .30 per gallon more and if you're like me and fill up 3 times per week that adds up. Plus my owners manual says premium is recommended not necessary. I have done quite a bit of testing with my car and I can't see any noticeable difference in the way it drives or the gas mileage I get when using premium or regular.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ +1.

Just because it's an option that costs a little more, it doesn't mean you should get it.

Sure it's a dollar or two more, but it adds up to $100s or even thousands...

Old 04-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
omg not another thread like this on a another forum. seriously guys its not a big deal. our cars have built in things like knock sensors to prevent from anything bad happening if the cheap owner decides to put low grade gas. so if you can afford premium get premium and have the piece of mind and if you feel like you dont need premium fuel then put reguler it proly wont do anything bad to the engine anyway.

im only 19 yrs and make only 200 a week and i've never out anything lower than 93 gas from bp in my car. even when gas was over 4 bucks a gallon. so it shouldnt be a problem to the guys here with real jobs.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by vipers
Not that this conversation hasn't taken place already, but I would agree with all of you. If you want to buy the cheapest gas out there, buy a civic.
Why is that? I can drive a nice car and still use regular gas. These cars aren't really high performance cars unless you start modding them even though many people here think otherwise. I can't say anything for other cars, but mine runs fine on regular. I do use premium at least 50% of the time and I'm sure that once I finish my mods and get it tuned I'll use premium all the time, but in stock form these cars run just fine on regular gas.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 PM
You dont put premium gas to gain performance..or feel difference

Old 04-22-2009, 11:53 PM
That's correct. Premium gives you absolutely zero performance increase. Normally when you run FI cars, or Highly tuned NA's, you need the higher octane rating to stop the fuel from detonating due to heat, BEFORE the spark plug has fired. This is what is known as knocking, or pre-detonation. Premium gas is actually harder, and slower to burn than regular.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:12 AM
The car DOES not require premium. It depends on how you drive. If you aren't interested in the thread, then don't bother coming in. It's a simple notion.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Tangerine
You can use regular with earlier G35. The G are getting cheaper as time progress, you can get them for the price of a new Civic. The demographic changes, its more affordable now and by no means a status symbol like a Mercedes (which I have traded in for my G).
true. actually some g's are way cheaper than used accords or camry's.

my moms friend baught a 07 camry with 4cyl and doesnt have any extras and was like 17 grand. you can buy a nice g sedan for like 14-15 with low miles and way more options. but ofcourse it isnt as economical or reliable as a camry so i guess she got what she wanted.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 AM
Banned
I'm in agreement with Blue Meanie. Premium is required for high compression motors, in which the VQ is not. Premium does, however, have more additives, like Techron, if that makes anyone feel any better.

Here's something to think about: for the '05 non-rev up coupe and sedan, they had the same specs - hp, torque, and compression ratio, yet the sedan recommends regular. Why the difference?

Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 AM
SEC > Big 12
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, when I use to put premium in my old maxima, it ran better and got better gas mileage. This was back in the day though when there were stations here that did "super tuesday" and offered premium for the price of regular....haven't seen that in several years though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premium Gas