G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tire noise and Brakes @ 11K miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire noise and Brakes @ 11K miles?

My front tires started getting loud around 9,000 miles and now at 11,000 miles, they are roaring (especially at low speeds and coming to stop). I don't notice any cupping, but my wife confirmed the horrible sounds a few days ago, so I am not being picky about this. I know the Z has these problems, but what have you guys done at the dealer to address this? Thanks, 2004 G35C AT with Sport wheels/rims.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Re: Tire noise and Brakes @ 11K miles?

Check your tread depth on both sides. I had the noise as you describe it, from 5k on. I couldn't feel cupping or feathering on mine, so I figured - they're performance tires, suppossed to be loud. Then one day I got under the car, "up close and personal" with the tires, and I could see that the tires were unevenly worn around the inside edges.

Took mine to the dealer - unfortunately after the 12,000 mile adjustment period. Alignment ($89.99) and swap side-to-side, involing dismounting the tires from the wheels and rebalancing ($30).

The side-to-side swap improved the noise a little, but not a lot. Still noisy at low speeds. Hopefully the alignment will take care of the wear problem.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:36 PM

sorry for my ignorance...but what is cupping? and could you describe the sound perhapse a bit more?

i'm asking this because my sister drives a GS 430 and in the beginning the ride was nice and quiet, but for several months now, there is this won-won-won sound...not the best description i know.
-Ben

Old 07-12-2004, 11:52 PM

When you took it to the dealer did they mention anything about toe-in adjustments that may stop the noise and excessive, uneven wear? I have heard that other vehicles such as the 350Z have benefited from the adjustment in addition to the rim swaps. This whole noise business is quite unpleasant and about the only complaint I have with this incredibly fun car.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:04 AM

The dealer did find the car misaligned, and adjusted the toe to spec. That should prevent any further cupping and uneven wear (he said with his fingers crossed) but probably doesn't (in my opinion) help reduce the existing tire noise. The dealer did not believe the tire rotation (left to right) would have any impact on the noise or wear. But, I asked them to do it anyway. Net result was a small reduction in noise, but I can't honestly claim to know whether the improvement came from the rotation or the alignment.

My experience on another car is that the way to get rid of the noise once the tires are unevenly worn is to cross-rotate the tires, so that their direction of rotation changes. Can't do that on the 6mt due to the uni-directional tires. So, I suspect that I'm stuck with the noise, now that the tires are cupped.

Old 07-13-2004, 10:48 AM

Cupping (or scalloping or feathering) is when the tread near the sidewall, on either or both sides, wears unevenly. If you lay your hand flat and lightly on the tread, then move it around the perimeter, you can often fell a wavy, up and down wear to the tread. Note that I use cupping/scalloping/feathering interchangabley to denote uneven wear around the perimeter if the tread. A real expert would tell you these words mean different kinds of perimeter wear, with different causes, solutions, etc. I'm not that skilled.

Best way I can describe the noise: if you've ever driven by the trailer of a tractor-trailor on the highway, and heard a low room-room-room noise from the area of the trailer tires, that's the sound of cupped/scallopped/feathered tires. It's pretty common on trailers.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:01 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Duh, you demount and flip the tires every 4,000 miles to equalize the inside wear and to reverse scrub off the raised leading edge from toe squrim [heel toe feathering].

Precision [owner paid] tire maintenance can cost almost as much as the tires.

Different toe setting can help some.........extend the time, but,
eventually you learn to live with it, spend the maintenance money or just replace the tires when half worn!

If the suspension is more rigid [less compliance] the least rigid component shows the wear [tire tread blocks].

Old 07-13-2004, 11:32 AM
DGC

Mine goes in Thursday for the same issue. 13k on the odometer, but had swapped summer tires and rims for a snow set during the winter months.

Did you contact Infiniti customer service?

Old 07-13-2004, 11:57 AM

Q45Tech

You can reverse scrub the raised edge caused by feathering only if you can change the direction of the tire rotation. With the unidirectional tires on the 6mt, you can't do that (duh).

Any other suggestion for reducing the tire noise once the feathering is established?

Steve

Old 07-13-2004, 01:45 PM

I did not contact Infiniti customer service. I'm outside the 12k mile adjustment service so I figured, waited too long, my fault...

Old 07-13-2004, 02:04 PM
DGC

Considering it's the same issue the Z's are experiencing it might be worth it to give Infiniti consumer affairs a call, at least to document there is an issue.

I noticed the same noise, especially when slowing. When I swapped out my winter set they were actually quieter for a time then they started to "howl". It definitely seems to be coming from the fronts.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:03 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True [about flipping remounting side to side] but having the inside now the outside lets the overstressed inside REST.
Notice that the peaks and valleys of the heel toe feathering are not perfectly symetrical across the face of the tire.
Depending on the tire width and camber the peaks may offset the valleys.
Works somewhat most of the time. Better than replacing tires at 10,000 miles or buying ear plugs.

Not just Nissan that do this but every car with directional performance tires with soft compounds does this to some degree. The more rigid the suspension and the more negative camber the worse it shows up!

Old 07-15-2004, 11:29 PM

What is the 12k mile adjustment period you refer to? If I have less mileage than that am I entitled to free dealer service on this issue? I will contact customer service but wanted to hopefully hear some "success" stories from the pros here first. As owners we are on the same side of the fence, but from this thread I am hearing a lot of "get used to it," with little recourse. The tire wear is just not that bad to justify new rubber/expense. I have the Michelin Sports and have heard these are best out there, but still the ROAR!

Old 07-16-2004, 09:31 AM

On the question of tire noise. The Pilot Sports are noisier that the touring tires on a luxury sedan. Heck, they're probably noisier than the tires on a Yugo (I haven't done a side-by-side comparision on this one). Nature of the beast. You do have to live with that.

However, if you are hearing roaring at lower speeds primarily during braking, and that seems to be getting worse over time, and you can see any indication of abnormal tread wear near the edge of the tire, you probably need at least an alignment. Ask your dealer, or a tire shop you trust. There is no need to live with it getting worse.

As for who is going to pay for that alignment. If you read your warranty book (you may already have done this) I believe there is a paragraph that says adjustments are covered in the first 12,000 miles, and I believe (I'm going from memory here) that alignments are specifically quoted as an example of an adjustment.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:11 AM
DGC

I just had my G in Thursday for an inspection and to check the front tires for feathering. The dealership performed the TSB issued for the 350Z and checked the alignment, which was in spec. There was no charge for the TSB or alignment (Thanks Infiniti of West Chester, PA). Still not sure what caused the tires to feather.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire noise and Brakes @ 11K miles?