G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

5at - lag? solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009 | 04:19 AM
I just installed my nismo grounding kit today. I bought it 2 years ago, but never put it in since I figured it was strictly cosmetic. It actually does help the manu-shifts. It's not a huge difference, but noticable. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2009 | 09:40 AM
|
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Tofu, if you're still interested in seeing how smooth the shifts are in my coupe we'll setup a time and check it out in person.

For what it's worth, my grounding kit's serving it's purpose and I'm getting smoother shifts, a little bit louder radio and less lag in manual mode
Mike let's do it. hit my cell up

Old 05-25-2009 | 12:56 PM
I did the gas pedal reset procedure and noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response. I was impressed. I work only 2 miles from my home and I think the ECO learns your driving patterns.

Old 05-25-2009 | 01:14 PM
How bout bullydog power pup?

http://www.bullydog.com/

I heard it can improve your mpg too (from v36 g35 sedan owners)?

Old 05-25-2009 | 01:33 PM
hhaa musti... sure you can have a go at it.. but on a very smooth road since i have my Inven on which is like 2 inches off the ground...

but the manu-mode, i'll show u myself since its nothing like the stock and on the first run, chance of messing up the tranny :P

Old 05-25-2009 | 01:37 PM
http://www.bullydog.com/product/inde...uct_detail/185 <---

looks worthy...since it makes sense how its providing the extra hp/torque... it a tuning device BUT.. sad for me... its 05+ and i have an 03 ... Gonna contact them to see if this "puppy" no pun intended will work on my 03.... (with whatever mods i need)

sc300t, thanks 4 posting that.

Old 05-25-2009 | 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
Mike let's do it. hit my cell up
You got it...hang tight

I just got in too. Was playing with my manu mode driving on on Lake Shore Drive.

When I hit downtown area in stop/go traffic it worked like a charm. Each tap=instant shift up and down....

Every once in a while the car will lag but that's when I'm going like say 35-40 in 4th then drop to 2nd to try and accelerate.

Its like the car is thinking hmm is this safe before it effs up the gearbox.

Then it'll go like a few miliseconds later. How often do I do that...mmmm once in a long while.

Originally Posted by hg35x
I did the gas pedal reset procedure and noticed an immediate improvement in throttle response. I was impressed. I work only 2 miles from my home and I think the ECO learns your driving patterns.
Yup sounds about correct!

I've reset my ECU like 5 times after each breathing mod and then after the grounding kit. The car works perfect afterward and adjusts right away rather than waiting a few hundred miles for the car to actually figure out it has a new mod on its own.

Old 05-26-2009 | 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by t7n7
anyways, JRP in mississauga sells them for 300$ CDN + tax (instead of 339 + tax) and lets you try them on the spot!
I take it these Sprintbooster things are easy to install, then?

Old 05-26-2009 | 07:35 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by partyman66
This supposed drive-by-wire lag thing is a load of crap(at least in regards to our cars). I think a lot of people don't realize that any car which has fuel-injection would have the same lag as one with drive by wire, if there was to be lag.

With Electronic-Fuel Injection and a traditional cable-driven throttle plate, the system is sensing how much air is coming into the intake as well as how much you are opening the throttle(by the TPS) and then injecting the proper amount of gas into the combustion chambers to account for this. This stuff has been going on in cars for over 20 years now, and with real archaic computer technology since the late 80's.

In Drive-By-Wire systems, our ECU's are doing the exact same thing(and a little more), only it's measuring the throttle input at the pedal rather than the throttle plate and injecting the appropriate mixture of fuel into the combustion chambers... but there is still a computer doing the calculations and determining how much fuel to inject.

If you don't have faith in the fact that a computer system(ECU) can respond in real time to your inputs... consider your home PC or video game system.... there is no lag with your mouse responses when you move the mouse around or when you move your video game controller around, right? There's a heck of a lot of calculating going on to render your mouse input and video game controller inputs as well as the associated impacts on the computer or video game environment, and it all happens instantaneously and seamlessly without slowing the system down. I don't recall there being any lag in my old 1990's Nintendo game systems... and if they could do that back then, modern computers can surely do that x200.

That being said........ I don't notice any lag at all in my G35 6MT in regards to throttle response, and I split time driving my Drive-by-Wire G35 6MT and my Cable-driven Toyota Tacoma which has a 5-speed manual gearbox. The G35 is more responsive than my truck is in regards to throttle response time compared to gas pedal input.

If I drive in my G with the thing in gear and stab the gas pedal real quick... it instantaneously surges forward... which is what I'd expect from a system with minimal or no lag. When I blip the throttle to initiate rev-matched shifts, it responds quickly and in a predictable fashion.... so I just don't see how all this complaining about throttle-response lag could possibly be merited.
yawn........

Old 05-27-2009 | 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by BourbonNcigars
I take it these Sprintbooster things are easy to install, then?
on their site it shows it being a simple plug n play above the pedal, but any personal reviews on that bullydog?

Old 05-27-2009 | 10:48 AM
the sprintbooster can be installed literally in 30 seconds.... and within the next 30 seconds, you will have the biggest smile on your face...

Old 06-29-2009 | 06:04 PM
I'd rather do a valve body upgrade and get a shorter differential gear. I would crush anyone with just a sprint booster with those mods and it would be pretty devastating.

I think sprint booster can improve the signal response and throttle response but in the end you are really asking for it because the solution has two aspects. Improving upon the electrical signal and then the actual engagement mechanisms. I understand its bang for the buck but I am not comfortable with things that mess with the ECU outright. Just like all the moron's out there with the Vishnu Proceede Flash's get murdered when they actually race on tracks. Their cars get the jump alright and then bend over and take it.

Sprintbooster has messed up the electrical fuel control units in a lot of Mercedes so beware.

Mercedes owners have it tough because no one does valve body upgrades or differential gear upgrades for them.

Old 06-29-2009 | 06:15 PM
Wow that sucks. I didn't know Benz owners couldn't get shorter gears for their rides.

Are you sure Lorenzer or AMG don't make shorter gears or VLSD units for the upgraded sport models?

Old 06-29-2009 | 10:28 PM
My older brother has a 2005 CLK 55 AMG. The car is bottle necked for all that power he has from his motor with a long 3.06:1 ratio in his differential and no LSD. Luckily CLK320s and the CLK350s have a better diff gear ratio which will offer significant improvement.

The best I think that he can do is probably a 3.46:1 ratio. Quaife makes an LSD for his car, which I hope he will upgrade to in the near future. The motor is bogged down and runs a 13.1-13.2 but the moment that ratio gets shortened he will see mid-12's easy and that's with no mods to his actual engine. Who knows maybe even low 12's with the LSD.

Luckily Japanese cars come pretty responsive but the newer HR models have a shorter differential ratio of about 3.7:1 and my 2007 g35x takes my 2004 AT even though it's heavier partially due to this. Of course the vq35HR motor is a definite improvement on the DE but it is only making 260whp and the DE is right in that neighborhood. Makes sense to me anyhow shorter ratio equals more efficient transfer of power.