G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Are these cars even worth it???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009 | 03:58 AM
|
Are these cars even worth it???

I've been browsing the forum and doing my research because was i was deciding wether i should get a EVO VIII/IX or STi. I understand they are in different classes in their own right... And ultimately i had my mind dead set on a G35. I had decided on getting a 05 6MT when i got back from Iraq in September but now i'm thinking otherwise. I was considering a 05 because of the upgrades. However for the price im looking at paying 20-23K im not to happy with the **** i've been reading. For one i don't wanna be paying for a car that has serious engine problems and the company is gonna make it a big *** hassle just to admit a mistake that was made in production of the vehicle. I'd be pissed off if i drove it off the lot and then a month later have the engine sieze up or get denied for a replacement. So im asking for a honest opinion if its better just to avoid these as used cars. I wanted to get into a luxury sport but from what i've read im kinda steering away from the G...

Old 07-03-2009 | 04:01 AM
JBF
I got my 04 for 17k a year ago. look harder and you wont spend 23k on an 05.

The oil consumption problem is an issue but if you go to a dealer and have them do their little test, they will fix the problem...if there even is one

Old 07-03-2009 | 04:09 AM
|
Right but i've read about dealerships making it difficult to get that problem taken care of. Like having you do the test mulitiple times. Hell even one guy on here had the dealership flat out deny him because he had a aftermarket exhaust. I'm not trying to deal with **** like that if im paying that much for a car...

Old 07-03-2009 | 04:12 AM
the problem is not as common as you think and if you get 05+ under 60k your still have the power train warrenty

your making it seem like Gs have a **** load of problems, do some time and use the search and see how reliable the G can be we have a few here over 150k and nothing but reg wear and tear

Old 07-03-2009 | 04:13 AM
JBF
Honestly, if you want the car, get it.

A dealership can NOT deny you any maintenance or warranty work based on bolt on parts.

If a dealer gives you a hard time, call the main customer service number. I had to do that with a rear hub assembly issue and lowered springs. Dealership denied me warranty, I called corporate, dealership massaged my ********* while they fixed my car after they got a call from corporate

Old 07-03-2009 | 05:09 AM
|
Originally Posted by eljoker
the problem is not as common as you think and if you get 05+ under 60k your still have the power train warrenty

your making it seem like Gs have a **** load of problems, do some time and use the search and see how reliable the G can be we have a few here over 150k and nothing but reg wear and tear
I'm merely going off what i've seen. I understand something's are a quick DIY and i've learned that by viewing alot of the threads i've seen on here. Im not afraid to tear **** apart and get dirty. However i don't want to be running into serious engine issues. I've done my searching on this forum and seen the pro's con con's and ultimately i was fine until i kept seeing this engine having oil consumption issues(also lurked the 350 forums). The car is very appealing and has alot to offer which keeps me interested in it still. Its just i don't wanna be stuck making payments on something i can't drive or is gonna be sitting in the dealership/shop for weeks on end. The purpose of my next car is to avoid a project car and having a DD...I just want a luxury sport that i can drive to and from Cali from Vegas every once in awhile(To the Modesto area) and not have to worry about issues with it that will leave me on the side of the road...

Old 07-03-2009 | 09:11 AM
EVO VIII/IX or STi. Yes you are correct they are a different class of car.

I think you have to ask yourself an honest question and figure out what are the ultimate goals for your car?

The above mentioned cars have some serious insurance premuims. They are considered race cars. (yeah I did the shopping and even at my age (I am up there) and spotless driving record it wasn't worth it to me)

I think what you mean to say is. I am thinking of getting a G35 and I want to mod it.

The G is not a bang for your buck mod car. the ammount of money you spend to get the performance out of it would be better spent on another car.

But! I like the looks of my car and I just spend my money on light mods just for that little extra. Nothing exotic.

Old 07-03-2009 | 09:24 AM
I bought this car for its looks, not performance. Frankly it's not all that fast and no matter what you do to it short of FI, it's still not fast. So if you're looking at Sti and Evo's, keep that in mind. It's a different breed of car.

Also, as far as oil consumption issues, yes it is a pain. It's not an ultra prevalent issue but it happens far more than it should in a mass produced car. Overall build quality is lower than that of Honda/Lexus and Toyota/Acura as well, but it's nothing that will fall apart on you...just small things. But again, I bought my car for looks and it delivers in spades in that category. All depends what's important to you.

I would say that if you are spending $20k on a car, you might as well get one you're totally happy with. I doubt you will be happy with a G35 if you have so many reservations before even owning one. My advice, move on to something you're more confident in.

Old 07-03-2009 | 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by FinallyGotaG
I called corporate, dealership massaged my ********* while they fixed my car after they got a call from corporate
Haha, helluva deal there, hope they at least brought in a hot asian chick for that part...

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:06 PM
Xet
if you buy an 05 with any decent amount of miles on it, it is doubtful it has oil consumption problems and that it went undiscovered. plus if you are in norcal area go to beshoff, they will take care of you REALLY well, just check out the norcal forums and see the great reviews

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:22 PM
My dealer did try to give me the run around on the OC issue, topping off and saying they didn't, noting higher dipstick readings than were there etc.

I caught on to that pretty quick and no longer let them take the car around back. Demanded all test be done in the staging area in my presence. Even brought my own ruler. After that it was smooth sailing to a new engine.

Yes it was a bit of a hassle but getting a new engine at 22k miles on a car I bought used at 15k miles is like a reset to new on the car. I got to break in the new engine on my terms and everything has been golden since.

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you will have more hassle with the evo and sti since they're turbo'ed cars, with the many more components as well with their powertrain, consisting of many more parts than just a rear wheel drivetrain vehicle.

The oil consumption is not that big of a deal and is rare. Since you say you wouldn't mind getting your hands dirty, I'm sure you wouldn't mind checking your engine oil every gas fill ups. And if it does happen, you're SOL.

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by Gee3point5Mhmm
I'm pretty sure you will have more hassle with the evo and sti since they're turbo'ed cars, with the many more components as well with their powertrain, consisting of many more parts than just a rear wheel drivetrain vehicle.
+1

youve got to think of it like this... most of what youre reading through your research, is all the guys that have had issues. how many people do you think are comming to the forum and posting threads about how they havent had any problems? the majority of owners out there have no complaints. youre only seeing the bad.

Old 07-03-2009 | 12:57 PM
You wont regret getting a g35..

Old 07-03-2009 | 07:11 PM
|
Hahaha there is some misunderstanding as far as what im looking for. Honestly i'm done with the tuning scene. The only reason i was considering a Evo or STi is because they come pretty good stock. As far as mods go for any car it would be basic bolt on's and a suspension. That goes for the G35 as well. I love the coupe i think it looks amazing. Im not looking for a fast car. I know these cars aren't fast but it will get up good enough for me. I'm not looking to turbo and all that. Good looking out on the recommendation for Nor Cal im gonna have to go check them out.

As i said before i was just worried about all the stuff i've read on this board. And i didn't want to be stuck with a car that has alot of issues. I would just expect a company like Infiniti to have less Engine and Tranny issues especially in such a sexy car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are these cars even worth it???