G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dont Buy Cheap Tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shawn87
Well... it finally happened when I though I could go the cheap route which ended up causing me more problems... As some of you might have read my other post about "New Tires - ABS Problems" I recently bought a new set of tires for the G. Each tire was stamped correctly, 225/45R18 and 245/45R18. After I got the new tires, my ABS was activating at every stop as if I were on ice. I took the car to the dealership to have the ECU flashed, except mine didnt need an update. They then proceeded to check all my wheel sensors, which were fine. They took my car on a road test and hooked up a unit to measure the speed of my wheels, when they found that my front wheels were spinning 3km/h faster than my rear wheels. We then measured the diameter of my rear tires compared to one on the lot, and wouldn't you know it, my rear is more like a 245/50 rather than a 245/45. I guess this is what happens when you buy cheap tires that arent manufactured to spec.

I have to get new tires today :S.
thats common sense..

you get what you pay for. you can seriously go to any tire place and get 20 dollar tires but is it really worth it?

what is the brand by the way?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
Buck

Thanks for clearing things up. I prefer to stick to safety rather than risking injury to myself or others
Overblown hyperbole. The "risk" you're talking about is microscopic. There's far more risk in putting a cheap 245 on than a quality 255. And plenty of reputable installers will put a 255 on an 8" wheel. The only thing they'll tell you is you might have unusual treadwear if you're not careful about keeping the pressure where it's supposed to be. But it's not unsafe. If you're so worried about such trivial risks, I'm surprised you drive your car at all.

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 08-23-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Sorry to say but Road Conditions on a track and way worse than they are on the street when you are pushing 100+ mph, taking turns at the full limits of the tires, getting them extremely hot. If a tire fails, it will fail on the track and not the street under these circumstances.
The stress on a tire is greater at the track, but the road conditions are worse in the real world. I don't recall seeing potholes or railroad crossing the last time I was at a track. These sudden impacts are what will stress a too-wide tire's bead and sidewall over the 20K+ mile life of the tire. They'd fail far sooner at the track, but you're not expecting that kind of mileage from your track tires. Someone who puts 275's on an 8" wheel and drives it every day might be very disappointed when the tires fail.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd157k
a LOT of tire places are now selling cheap tires and claim that the tire company is owned by a big name tire company. "oh, these Wanak tires are really Goodyear's with a different name".... yaaaaa righhhht.

DON'T DO IT.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

For the record, the inexpensive tires that have got HUGELY GOOD reviews by many Corvette, Porsche, and Nissan/Infiniti guys..
1. Kumo Ecsta
2. General UHP
3. Sumitomo
4. BFGoodrich KDW2

Also, you NEED to check the date code on the tires. Old tires become hard. Some places like Discount tire will sell you tires that have been on a shelf for 2 or 3 years.

For those reading this thread and don't know how to read tire age, it is on the side of the tire in the form XXYY where XX is the week number the tire was produced and YY is the year. For example, on this tire shown below, the tires are 2607... tires was made in the 26th week of 2007.
Where exactly can I purchase these tires? NTB or Town Fair Tire dont seem to have those.