G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clearbra

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Clearbra

Go to Doctor Details in Frederick, MD. I compared several places in NoVA-DC-MD but they all charged at least 800+. I had mine done for $500 using Llumar film in April. They cover the front bumper, grille, headlights, side mirrors, & front 1/3 of the hood. If I did it again, I would probably skip the side mirrors. Since they only use 1 piece of plastic for each of the side mirrors, they had to cut it down the middle so it could wrap around the entire mirror without bubbling out. It's a bit more obvious when you see it when compared to the rest of the clearbra.

Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM

Do you have a point of contact there? Let me know ASAP

Old 08-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have the kit by Stongard? It's pricier, but appears to be a bit better to me. They designed it so that the leading edges will wrap around to protect things like the hood edge. Just want to see if anyone has any experience with these. The biggest problem with this is they do not have any recommended installers in the socal area so I can't see it for myself.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:05 PM

it is better. it's thicker. my buddy has it on his m3. i wish i got this one instead.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:09 PM

Hi:

One thing you might try is to get it installed by your Infiniti dealership. You might be able to negotiate a better install price if you are buying the car. If you just bought the car, then you should speak directly to the Sales Manager about this possibility.

If you are really picky, then you might go to an independent installer. Be sure to go over the parts to be covered with who ever you have install it, Some installers only cover the front with little or no wrap arround on the front bumper/lip. Have them show you on the car exactly what they will cover.

<font color=green>6 MT ~ (DP w/ WL)</font color=green>

Old 08-05-2004, 08:36 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

it is better. it's thicker. my buddy has it on his m3. i wish i got this one instead.

<hr></blockquote>

It is the same 8mil 3M film that most use, it is not thicker.

2004 Sedan -- 3M Clear Bra - Bought on eBay and DIY -- Rocky Mounts bike racks!

Old 08-05-2004, 11:36 PM

For those of you who are curious, my buddy actually used to work for a high priced aftermarket shop in the bay, installing the clear bra stuff. He moved down to San Diego and did the same thing for a year. From first hand observation, they make a killing on these things. My buddy has the vinyl cutter to cut the patterns, basically its the same machine they use to cut those oversized vinly stickers. Anyhow he would order the film from his partner in the bay, they would send it down, he would then load the pattern into his computer and load the film into the cutter. Cut the pattern in minutes total cost of materials is something around 150-300 on materials, depeding on amount needed. He would charge dealerships $600 bucks and the dealerships would add anywhere from 150-600 on top of that depending on if it was a Infiniti to Exotic dealership. I know an amazing profit margin! Anyhow, for those who were surprised to hear that they actually trim the bra while its on the car... this is no secret and all installers usually have to do it. Done right they never cut completely through, but alot of these installers are just kids and they get sloppy. In fact there are training services joe schmo can pay for and start installing bras for hire while being supplied by said traning company. The best part is installers who claim they have to do a custom install is usually piling on the bullsht, the patterns are regularly available in the software distributed by the vendors, and if not it can be easily downloaded off the interenet directly from the vendor's site! All in all it is one of the most profitable services for dealers and installers. I think any price around 500-600 is reasonable as long as it seems like a professional shop doing the install. For those thinking of installing it yourself, its really not that hard. If you have installed window tint, its pretty much the same technique only that you have to make sure the surface is absolutely clean and free from dust/lint/etc. especially on dark colors. Oh and I got to add that the vinyl cutting machine is awesome!

Old 08-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
6MT Brembo Coupe

http://mishield.com/ in san diego quoted $650 and this included the entire front bumper, headlights, and a good portion of the hood.

03.5 6MT COUPE: graphite/graphite / premium / aero / oem front lip / JWT CAI / Borla exhaust / 35% tint all around / Polarg lighting