G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hidden 12" Sub Installation w/ Pics!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 PM
B T
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
great idea! I have to wonder if the sub surround will be torn up by the mat above it though. Any kind of protection?

Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nicee

Old 08-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, congrats and I am glad you are happy with what you have created.

Unfortunately, unless that subwoofer is designed for an infinite baffle (IB) setup the sound quality and SPL will be subpar at best, terrible at worst.

If I'm not mistaken, that appears to be a Memphis 15-MCP12D4/S4. Those subwoofers are NOT designed to be ran in an IB setup, they need either a sealed or ported enclosure. What you have is not a ported enclosure, because a ported enclosure actually has a port, and it is also tuned to resonate a specific frequency (usually 28-34hz depending on SQ vs SPL tastes).

Since you do not have a sealed or ported enclosure, you should be running that sub at a wattage much lower then recommended RMS wattage (1/2 -1/4 of RMS). The reason is that since the sub is not in a sealed/ported enclosure, it doesn't have proper back pressure to support the suspension of the subwoofer and there is a very, very good chance that it will fail due to overextention of the voice coil beyond xmax or from spider damage.

The positive thing is that you can always take out what you have created, and make a removable fiberglass enclosure to fit your spare tire. It really isn't that difficult and it will serve as a proper enclosure that will provide an actual sealed environment for your new subwoofer to musically shine (and not be damaged). You can even use the current wood baffle you created as the mount for the subwoofer.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I've seen a lot of people ruin their systems by incorrect installs such as this one.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Why hide the sub but show the amp?

Old 09-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because the amp doesnt take up a lot of space. duhh!!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mobbintehg
first of all, congrats and i am glad you are happy with what you have created.

Unfortunately, unless that subwoofer is designed for an infinite baffle (ib) setup the sound quality and spl will be subpar at best, terrible at worst.

If i'm not mistaken, that appears to be a memphis 15-mcp12d4/s4. Those subwoofers are not designed to be ran in an ib setup, they need either a sealed or ported enclosure. What you have is not a ported enclosure, because a ported enclosure actually has a port, and it is also tuned to resonate a specific frequency (usually 28-34hz depending on sq vs spl tastes).

Since you do not have a sealed or ported enclosure, you should be running that sub at a wattage much lower then recommended rms wattage (1/2 -1/4 of rms). The reason is that since the sub is not in a sealed/ported enclosure, it doesn't have proper back pressure to support the suspension of the subwoofer and there is a very, very good chance that it will fail due to overextention of the voice coil beyond xmax or from spider damage.

The positive thing is that you can always take out what you have created, and make a removable fiberglass enclosure to fit your spare tire. It really isn't that difficult and it will serve as a proper enclosure that will provide an actual sealed environment for your new subwoofer to musically shine (and not be damaged). You can even use the current wood baffle you created as the mount for the subwoofer.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but i've seen a lot of people ruin their systems by incorrect installs such as this one.
qft

Old 09-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Good idea, I hope it works well.

Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by MobbinTehG
First of all, congrats and I am glad you are happy with what you have created.

Unfortunately, unless that subwoofer is designed for an infinite baffle (IB) setup the sound quality and SPL will be subpar at best, terrible at worst.

If I'm not mistaken, that appears to be a Memphis 15-MCP12D4/S4. Those subwoofers are NOT designed to be ran in an IB setup, they need either a sealed or ported enclosure. What you have is not a ported enclosure, because a ported enclosure actually has a port, and it is also tuned to resonate a specific frequency (usually 28-34hz depending on SQ vs SPL tastes).

Since you do not have a sealed or ported enclosure, you should be running that sub at a wattage much lower then recommended RMS wattage (1/2 -1/4 of RMS). The reason is that since the sub is not in a sealed/ported enclosure, it doesn't have proper back pressure to support the suspension of the subwoofer and there is a very, very good chance that it will fail due to overextention of the voice coil beyond xmax or from spider damage.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, but I've seen a lot of people ruin their systems by incorrect installs such as this one.
^+1 .. right on the dot!

I think this is an excellent idea, you did a great job hiding the sub... just make sure you fix the fine small things and your all set Also, you should hide the amp, this way you can suprise someone and tell them its factory bass.

I'm sure this provides much more bass then the POS Bose we have. Good stuff!!!

I think i'll be doing this for my trunk since I want is as clean as possible.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:31 PM
couldnt you just put the sub in the plastic surrounding the spare tire? I mean it wouldnt still be as good as a box, but maybe better/more convenient than on top of the spare?

Sorry guys, just throwing the idea out there...I dont have my G yet, but just tryin to help out

Old 09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
nice.... did u set this sub and amp up with ur bose

Old 09-23-2009, 03:54 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Nice setup and idea looks awesome. Props