G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Do you guys warmup your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remote start while I eat a quick breakfast and let it warm up for a few minutes, always - summer or winter.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I let it warm up the same level all year round: until the rpm gauge drops to 1k-ish at idle and/or the oil temp level rises above the first bottom 2-3 notches.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warming the car up in summer is just a waste of fuel. a car only needs about 1 minute to 'warm up' in the winter...anything else is just a waste as well...

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by g35luva
warming the car up in summer is just a waste of fuel. a car only needs about 1 minute to 'warm up' in the winter...anything else is just a waste as well...
Damn glad I'm not luva's G, cold azz winters in Boston and he's only giving me a minute to circulate and warm up my oil.... but that would be a waste....? Sounds like he's to cheap for syntentic too or a garage....poor G.
Gary

Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TofuProductions
I let it warm up the same level all year round: until the rpm gauge drops to 1k-ish at idle and/or the oil temp level rises above the first bottom 2-3 notches.
Our cars don't have an oil temperature gauge. It's a coolant temperature gauge.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
always let it warm up. like others have said, once the rpm's drop down to 1k. im good to go.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:07 AM
i live in Canada , so in winter (-15-20) i definitely warm the car up for about 3-5 minutes,
don't you guys find that it is harder to shift when the car is cold?(i mean in real cold weather not in summer or warm winter days like in cali or florida)
first 5 min of my drive is noisy(that wind sound from the transmission or differential) and harder to shift. i can't imagine not warming up my G in -20 weather and drive right away...

Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends if it's summer or winter.

I wait a few minutes before idle settles around 1000rpm.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
wtf does the rotary motor have to do with a piston version?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
wtf does the rotary motor have to do with a piston version?

Rotary's will flood if you don't let them warm up. I was saying people who are used to a rotary would be shocked that some people don't even let their cars warm up for a minute.

Anything else I need to spell out for you?

Old 10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I warm it up.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by wise-1
Rotary's will flood if you don't let them warm up. I was saying people who are used to a rotary would be shocked that some people don't even let their cars warm up for a minute.

Anything else I need to spell out for you?
Well that's THEIR problem isn't it? Piston engines don't suffer from flooding (nor should any decently tuned engine using a modern ECU controlled engine management).

Why don't you need to "warm up" piston engine? Because it's not needed and we don't have to. You must be confusing starting and driving gently w/ starting and flooring it. There is a difference.

I guess I should mention the diesel guys would be shocked we all use spark plugs.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Jeff that's saying two different things.

He's saying it would be weird for an RX7 guy hearing that someone just starts there car and off they go.

At least it comparing Granny smith apples to delicious. The spark plugs to glow plugs is apples to bananas, two totally different things.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well that's THEIR problem isn't it? Piston engines don't suffer from flooding (nor should any decently tuned engine using a modern ECU controlled engine management).

Why don't you need to "warm up" piston engine? Because it's not needed and we don't have to. You must be confusing starting and driving gently w/ starting and flooring it. There is a difference.

I guess I should mention the diesel guys would be shocked we all use spark plugs.

I simply stated what I did because I have a background with rotary motors. So with that being said, I found it strange that people wouldn't warm up their cars before driving it, however gently they would do so. As I mentioned in my first post, I took after my friend's M3 that has a variable Redline light that changes to a higher RPM as the car gets warmer. It starts off at 4k, then moves to 7k.

Unfortunately, you had to question the first part of my post where I commented on rotary owners, which shows the lack of diversity you have as a so called 'enthusiast'. Seems like your post count doesn't really appraise your willingness to accept people from other walks of the automotive community.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by wise-1
I simply stated what I did because I have a background with rotary motors. So with that being said, I found it strange that people wouldn't warm up their cars before driving it, however gently they would do so. As I mentioned in my first post, I took after my friend's M3 that has a variable Redline light that changes to a higher RPM as the car gets warmer. It starts off at 4k, then moves to 7k.

Unfortunately, you had to question the first part of my post where I commented on rotary owners, which shows the lack of diversity you have as a so called 'enthusiast'. Seems like your post count doesn't really appraise your willingness to accept people from other walks of the automotive community.
I just saw the rotary comment as none revelant. The issue of flooding isn't the concern that we are discussing in regards to whether or not to warm up the engine. As I've said, letting the engine idle to warm it up actually prolongs the warm up process and actually dilute/contaminate the oil faster than just driving gently.

I'm not sure what the varible redline thing has do do with what we are discussing either. Although it probably protects the owner from themselves (clearly being able to afford the M3 isn't a guage on an owner's intelligence), one shouldn't be anywhere near whatever redline BMW sets it at during the warm up process (IMHO).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you guys warmup your car?