G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Do you guys warmup your car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The O2 sensors are not part of the cold start program. The ecu bypasses the signals from them until the water temp gets to a certain amount. THEN the ecu switches from the open loop to the closed loop programming and starts to use the 02 sensors for a/f adjustments.

Also you are going to get pretty much full oil pressure seconds into the engine start. It's why modern oils have a winter weight and a normal weight.

But what do I know? I don't know much.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW's since 95 didn't need to warm up their cars.

Anyways. I just start the car and in less than 30 secs im off.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
everyday, until temp gauge starts to climb upward & revs drop near 1000RPMs
even if time is tight, i'll let it sit for 30 seconds - 1 minute; being late or in a hurry is never an excuse for me

Old 10-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why would u need to warm up your cars??? I never warm it up unless the car windows needs to be defrosted or the car is too hot inside and the a/c needs to run a little...

Old 10-21-2009, 02:02 AM
^ might not be AS BENEFICIAL or SIGNIFICANT to warm up some modern engines
but it doesn't hurt and its a good habit, rotary and forced-induction guys will laugh at some of these responses

Old 10-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
The O2 sensors are not part of the cold start program. The ecu bypasses the signals from them until the water temp gets to a certain amount. THEN the ecu switches from the open loop to the closed loop programming and starts to use the 02 sensors for a/f adjustments.

Also you are going to get pretty much full oil pressure seconds into the engine start. It's why modern oils have a winter weight and a normal weight.

But what do I know? I don't know much.
This reminds me of the thread when a bunch of people said filling up the G with 89 octane is perfectly normal because of modern Knock Sensors.
But sometimes nature and physics has variables that even modern technology cannot prevent.

Bottom line, warm up your car, change your oil when you're supposed to, and fill up with the correct octane.
But if you think it's okay to do less, then that's fine, its your car, not mine.
Have a nice day

Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Law to the Rence
This reminds me of the thread when a bunch of people said filling up the G with 89 octane is perfectly normal because of modern Knock Sensors.
But sometimes nature and physics has variables that even modern technology cannot prevent.

Bottom line, warm up your car, change your oil when you're supposed to, and fill up with the correct octane.
But if you think it's okay to do less, then that's fine, its your car, not mine.
Have a nice day
You do know that gas and oil changes have nothing to do with the artifical merits of letting the car sit to "warm up" right?

I thought wise-1 was the only one that needed a little education

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by G35_FTMFW
I put it in drive before i even crank it
eh? My car will only Crank in Park or Neutral

Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You do know that gas and oil changes have nothing to do with the artifical merits of letting the car sit to "warm up" right?

I thought wise-1 was the only one that needed a little education

You're nit picking at the dumbest things. I don't get what you're trying to gain by pointing out the irrelevance in someones post. But if you took in the rhetorics of what they said in relation to the topic at hand, maybe you would get it.

But you don't. You just don't.

So I'm going to continue taking the extra 120 seconds to make sure my car has a second to breath before driving off gently. I'm also going to continue doing redline synthetic oil/gear oil/tranny fluid changes. im going to continue pumping the highest grade fuel i can get and I'm going to continue taking care of something I worked hard for.

Do what you do, I do what I do. Okay?

Old 11-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by wise-1
You're nit picking at the dumbest things. I don't get what you're trying to gain by pointing out the irrelevance in someones post. But if you took in the rhetorics of what they said in relation to the topic at hand, maybe you would get it.

But you don't. You just don't.

So I'm going to continue taking the extra 120 seconds to make sure my car has a second to breath before driving off gently. I'm also going to continue doing redline synthetic oil/gear oil/tranny fluid changes. im going to continue pumping the highest grade fuel i can get and I'm going to continue taking care of something I worked hard for.

Do what you do, I do what I do. Okay?
No, he's referencing examples that have no bearing on the topic at hand. The only thing that might have revelance is that he's trying to attach real differences in car care(using the correct octane/oil change intervals) to irrevelant actions of letting the car sit for no reason. And I've posted why letting the car just sit is no better or quite possibly worse than driving off gently right away.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:11 PM
stop whining and warm up your car

Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These engines don't need to be warmed up. Starting it and letting it idle running all rich is worse than just going.

This is not 1969. We have dual weight oils and ecu's now.

I run M1 0W40. It wouldn't matter if I lived in Alaska. Start the car, oil is up to full pressure in a couple seconds at most.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
summer time : i let it warm up for a few minutes ...

winter time : i let it warm up for approx 10-15 minutes..
way to save your gas

Old 11-02-2009, 04:33 AM
^anyone who bought a G35 to save gas has got to get their brain checked

Old 11-02-2009, 04:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Summer time I don’t let it warm up because usually by the time I am to the end of the street is almost to full opp. temp.

Winter I let it run for 5 min. and turn the heated seats on and defrosters

It’s a lot nicer to drive in a nice toasty car than a freezing one

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do you guys warmup your car?