G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Even Old Farts Like To Have Fun...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even Old Farts Like To Have Fun...

All right, fine. So I’m old enough to have raised two kids and put them through college. My wife calls my G35 my “mid-life crisis vehicle” and that’s probably true. But I just have to relate this story….

Yesterday while driving my wife to the local grocery store, two young guys in a brand-spanking new Pontiac Grand Prix pulled up next to our car at a red light. The young gentleman driving starting gunning his engine, etc., basically looking like a fool. Then (and this cracked me up)- they BOTH put on sunglasses simultaneously- which was a pretty dorky maneuver- very Tom Cruise. Anyway, my wife looks over at them, then looks at me, and gives me the “don’t you EVEN THINK about it” look (after 28 years of marriage- you know that look pretty well.) Anyway, I’m not about to fall for this silly thing, so when the light turned green and the guy in the Pontiac floors it, I just let him go.

Bye- So long…

Then something really strange happens. I just floor the G35. I do. I just floor it. I’ve never floored the car, ever. I was amazed. I caught the Grand Prix within about 400 feet, then sailed past him like nothing. When I looked down at the speedometer, I was doing over 100 mph. I was well past him so I let off the gas. Damn this car is FAST! I couldn’t believe I took it to 100 mph that quick! We had to stop for another light about a mile up ahead and the two guys in the Grand Prix pulled up next to us. They didn’t look too happy. Neither did my wife.

Now… fellas… I know most of you are pretty young, but someday you’ll probably get married. Women have this.. look. They don’t say a word. You just get this.. look. It’s the, “You are a total fool. I can’t believe I marred a total fool like you and you’re sleeping on the couch for the next 11 months” look. Man, that’s a mean look. When we got home from the grocery store, she immediately called both our son and daughter to tell them what a fool they had for a father.

I retreated to my den to look for FI mods for my G35.. J

To make a long story longer by a little- I looked up the Pontiac Grand Prix and I see that it only has about 200 horses, so it really wasn’t a competition for the G35 at all. But hey… I have to tell you that for a moment there… it sure was fun being that young again. I won’t ever do that again- street racing is just plain stupid. But keep this in mind, next time you see your Dad- the old adage about “The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys” is true. And if you’re this addicted to this car at your young age- you’re going to be a car nut your entire life (so find a woman that knows how to install forged pistons and cams and can reprogram your MAF in her sleep.) You’ll be a happy man the rest of your life.) J

Old 08-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Re: Even Old Farts Like To Have Fun...

lol... Good story. I liked the part where they put on their sunglasses. They were definitely feeling the moment in their Pontiac - at least for a little while.

My wife gives me "the look" all the time. She is pretty skittish so I end up scaring her all day long. Many times when I'm on the freeway I down-shift and floor it for no apparent reason other than to watch her frantically reach for the door grips and brace herself in fear - cruel but fun.

Once I actually coaxed her into racing - which she hates. There was a Mercedes 230 Kompressor next to us at a light and I was assuming he was planning to rev past us to get into our lane so that he could get onto the freeway onramp which was coming up in a 1/4 mile. I told her to press that "VDC button" on her right and get ready to go. Well sure enough the light turns green and we get dusted. It didn't dawn on me that she didn't know how to shift fast AND she shifted gears somewhere around 3500-4000 rpm.

I'm hoping to catch that same guy at that light with me driving next time...

04, TB/W, Nav, Aero, 6MT, etc...

Old 08-21-2004, 01:09 AM

My g/f actually encourages me to go faster. That's a checkmark in the pro column.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:06 AM

My wife once called me a wuss for not pushing the G to catch up to a speeding BMW 3-series (not M3) coupe. So I guess that's a plus eh?[img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 08-21-2004, 02:35 AM
Banned

Well Im haven my mid life also .47 and modden the chit out of the G35 . So far I have ..Crawford plenum , BRM headers, Crawford cats, Iridium one step colder plugs , Vortech supercharger with 9lb boost ,AEM A/F gauge , SPA duel , boost and fuel preasure gauge . Im making 350whp right now and am going to get the new pulley tuned Tuesday so it should go up to about 390whp . Im trying to get this car into 12 second club at the 1/4 track . Last time I was there I got 13.2 @ 105 mph......love feeling like a kid again ...My girl friend ...just shakes her head

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 AM

Great story! My girl gets very upset when I "step on it", so I know what you mean. How 'bout some drifting when she is in the car?? What does she think about that?? I'm "no longer allowed"...

PS: how do I use emoticons??

'04 G35C / 6MT / DP / Graphite / Prem / Aero / Pedals / Clears

Old 08-21-2004, 03:49 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

04G_CAR,
HTML is easy here. Just reference the menu HERE, (It's located in the left hand margin under 'G35Driver.com Info')or when you post a reply, at the top of the page you'll see a link to the same menu.
eg. '[ wink]' becomes [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]
------------
DaBaur, Great story. Thanks for sharing. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

C.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 08-21-2004, 04:03 AM

that's a great story. it puts a smile on my face to think about that as i give my bf that "look" all the time. hopefully when we're older and have our kids i'll still be giving him that "look." it'll keep us young and fun.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Today, driving back to work from lunch, I was in my G w/ a very cute female co-worker and my friend was driving his WRX w/ a guy and a girl in it. We were zipping around and stuff and my passenger was loving it. She actually said "I don't know why people would get automatics, this is so much more fun!" She is such a cool chick. My friend later told me that the girl in his car was trying to find the 'oh-$hit' handle and actually told him he needed to stop. Hahaha, she's a crabby girl.

I'll drive my co-worker around anytime! too bad she's moving in a week tho.

-------------------------------------------
2004 6MT DG/G Coupe | Premium | Aero Kit | See bio for pix

Old 08-21-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

[b]My friends ask me all the time if my G is a mid life crisis car. My response: How can it be a mid life crisis if I have not grown up yet?

The 1st post is the reason to keep the wife in the SUV and only bring the guma in the G.

NY G SQUAD<font color=red>&lt;---Official Website

Old 08-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Your story is some funny stuff. I get that all the time myself, since I'm far from being your "average" Coupe owner. At 52, I should be looking into retirement communities not Z tubes and high flow cat backs.....[img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I get that "you wanna give it a go ol' man?" all the time, and I actually consider it to be a form of flattery, if he feels the necessity to challenge my car, it must be a potential threat to his own choices in life....hehehehe.....

I do not condone street racing, as I have seen the damage caused as a result of poor judgement.........

But these cars are pretty fast for a six cylinder, and I can appreciate the power the car can deliver when called upon.

I like to do my racing at the drag strip or track, where if I mess up its my a$$ and no innocent bystander.....

In a safe and controlled enviroment these cars will keep up with the best of them.......

I've always felt your never too old to own a nice car. and I'll probably own a two seater as long as I can drive.....[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 08-21-2004, 09:07 AM

Great story. Glad to know there's lot's of company in this "mid-life" thing that we get from so many jealous people. Jeez, the way I look at it after putting two kids through college is that this is MY graduation present...AND it's well deserved. Besides, I've always known that life is a lot more fun in the fast lane. WOT!

'04.5 G35C, 6MT - TB / Willow; Prem, Aero, Z-tube / K&N Panel, Alum Pedals & Lovin' every minute! "LMG_35C"

Old 08-21-2004, 09:11 AM

I totally know the "look" we are talking about (I have been married 10 years). A few months ago, my wife and I were coming back from a friend's party at 3 AM. This Z3 pulls out of a "Dancing Girls" place and floors it right next to me. I reached for my shifter and my wife gave me the "look". I didn't go at them because
A. I had few drinks on me.
B. I was feeling pretty horny and needed to get some that night.
In any event, it left a bad taste in my mouth as it was my very first chance to test the G. Not that I am looking for challenges all the time. Not long ago, I had the opportunity to whoop an E36 M3. I can finally let go of that awful night that was hunting my mind for a while. : )

2004 G35 Coupe/OB/Graphite interior/Premium and aero package/Popcharger/Z tube/Hotchkis sways/Tein H-tech springs/Kinetix plenum/Crawford cats

Old 08-21-2004, 10:50 AM

It's taken my wife less than two years to develope "the look".
I'm 40 and she calls my G, you guessed it, my mid life crisis car. So what is this crisis supposed to feel like? Idon't know but I get to have a blast driving a G I'm happy.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:41 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

Momboking...the really question is, did you get some that night...please tell me it wasn't in vain!

2 G or NOT 2 G, there is no question!

Injen SES, Kinetix cats, K&N Typhoon, 19" PIAA Super Rozza's (19x9 & 19x10)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Even Old Farts Like To Have Fun...