G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dealer Installing NEW engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer Installing NEW engine

My 9000 mile G35 coupe was consuming 1 qt of oil every 1500 miles ever since break in. I observed the break in recommendations for the first 1200 miles so there had to be a manufacturing defect. I called Infiniti customer service and without revealing my specific problem got them to say that 3000 miles/qt is normal. Anyway after verifying my consumption and with the customer service case#, my dealer has received approval from Infiniti to install a completely new engine (both block and head). Anyone else experiencing oil consumption significantly greater then 1 qt/3000 miles?

Old 08-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Re: Dealer Installing NEW engine

yes I have this exact problem. I just got an oil change last month and I'm already getting the low oil pressure light.

[image]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/9c2f30a5/bc/291f/__sr_/20f7.jpg?ph101JBBzMiFcSBf[/image]

Old 08-30-2004, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car doesn't seem to burn any oil, but I've met another G owner who said his burned 1 qt every 1,000 miles, which is definitely excessive.

BTW, I hope the last poster meant "low oil LEVEL" light, and not "low oil PRESSURE" light. If you get low oil pressure, your engine could be toast in a matter of seconds. Whereas a low oil level (pressure still OK) won't kill your engine unless you let it get so low that the pressure falls.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 08-30-2004, 10:59 AM

My last oil change showed 1.5 qts burned for just under 3,000 miles.
Do you have any paperwork from Infiniti yet for your case?

Old 08-30-2004, 11:04 AM
G SQUAD

how can you tell how much oil your car is burning up per mileage checks? Just curious
-Vin

Old 08-30-2004, 11:50 AM

I had an engine replaced in my last car, a BMW 330i. I got caught in a flash flood and the engine hydro locked. The only thing I wanted to mention is that the engine was not new but reconditioned from the factory.

Does infiniti have brand spanking new motors to drop in cars? Usually warranty replacement motors are recons that carry the full warranty spec on them.

Check to see what the deal is on your new engine. Not that you have a choice since you need it.

2004 G35c 5AT/Prem Pkg/18" Tire Opt/Aero Kit/Clear Sides/Pedal Kit/Tint/Z-Tube/K&N Drop-in/Smoked Rear Overlays

Old 08-30-2004, 01:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had my oil read low when I've checked it.

I have 9400 on it, and have changed oil at 1600, 4500 and 7400.

2004 Sedan/DVD Navigation/Desert Platinum/Willow

Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

The QV engine in both the G and Z are having oil consumption problems.....seems like its a hit and miss thing

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm having that same problem as well. Granted, I drive my car pretty hard but I'm still having a problem believing that needing a quart or more on a new engine is normal. I'm definitely going to look into this with my dealer as well.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When you really squeeze HP with low ring tension [good for 5-7% more - less friction] and non rigid open deck designs [for more uniform temp- emissions] you get these problems.

A more conservative design would have been a 245-250 HP engine that lasts 300,000 miles.

US high sulfur gasoline is causing some of the problems. We were supposed to restrict sulfur when engine was designed but alas the oil crisis changed this for awhile........why we don't have direct injection gasoline engines yet either.

Based on non scientific heresay [my guess] from a few dealers it appears that 1 in 1,000 are showing this symptom probably 10 times more than expected.........varies with refinery fuel and state.

The recent HP race will start showing up across all brands as decreased long term reliability. or at the least burning some oil.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:33 PM

To tell how much oil the engine is using, it's easiest if you change the oil yourself. After giving it a good 10-15 minutes to drain (plus what's in the filter), I measure the amount that is left by filling the bottles from the newly input oil with the just emptied oil. This is the easiest way. On the oil dipstick, the reading was slightly above the Low level reading.
I don't know if an oil-change place will measure the amount they remove, but measuring what comes out is the only accurate way to figure out what you're engine has consumed, versus what initially went in.

Old 08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

When you really squeeze HP with low ring tension [good for 5-7% more - less friction] and non rigid open deck designs [for more uniform temp- emissions] you get these problems.

A more conservative design would have been a 245-250 HP engine that lasts 300,000 miles.

US high sulfur gasoline is causing some of the problems. We were supposed to restrict sulfur when engine was designed but alas the oil crisis changed this for awhile........why we don't have direct injection gasoline engines yet either.

Based on non scientific heresay [my guess] from a few dealers it appears that 1 in 1,000 are showing this symptom probably 10 times more than expected.........varies with refinery fuel and state.

The recent HP race will start showing up across all brands as decreased long term reliability. or at the least burning some oil.

<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but I respectively disagree with everything you wrote there. If it was high sulfur fuel causing the problem, you would have a lot more cars with the burning problem. Besides, high performance engines have been running the same fuel that we've always had for the past several decades with no problems - why would there be a problem all of a sudden?

Sorry, but its manufacturing variances/defects in the engine that is causing the oil burning problems in some cars. It happens.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 08-30-2004, 05:41 PM

seems like if you make it to your first oil change w/o burning oil, you might be ok.. :/ at least I hope

Old 08-30-2004, 06:11 PM

Took my car by the dealership today and they will be looking at it tomorrow. And yes, it was a low oil pressure warning on the navigation system. When I would get this message my car would idle very rough until I put more oil into it. I would get the warning barely a month after a new oil change.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dammmn....
At 12,800 miles...mine looses virtually zip....nada..
between oil changes.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer Installing NEW engine