G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I SeaFoamed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TwilightBlue
I have seafoamed many cars with great results. I have since started using BG Throttle Body and Intake Cleaner. IMO it does a much better job at cleaning all that gunk out.
And periodic cleaning the TB does need, I was surprised at the amount of crap in there. The small space around the TB plate was closed up. IIRC when the car is at idle the air it uses comes through that small gap between the plate and TB.

For people who have never done the TB cleaning, please take care and note the FSM precautions regarding removal of the TB and remember it's electrical and mechanical, cut the juice and don't force the plate around. It is possible to do some expensive damage if you are totally careless.

Pre-cleaning:

back side of TB:

This build-up was causing the car to die at idle on throttle lift. Once I cleaned this out, no more problem. It had never been cleaned in 5 years/50k+ miles.

Clean(er) - I didn't do an **** retentive job on it because I was trying to see if that was related to the idle problem, and it appears it was, pre-cleaning you could not even see light around the edge of the plate. After, something maybe ~1mm or slightly less gap all the way around.

Back side upper plenum half, pre-cleaning:

Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend is rebuilding a vq from an 03 max. I think it had about 70k on it, and take my word for it, a lot of buildup.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by SteveZ
And periodic cleaning the TB does need, I was surprised at the amount of crap in there. The small space around the TB plate was closed up. IIRC when the car is at idle the air it uses comes through that small gap between the plate and TB.

For people who have never done the TB cleaning, please take care and note the FSM precautions regarding removal of the TB and remember it's electrical and mechanical, cut the juice and don't force the plate around. It is possible to do some expensive damage if you are totally careless.

Pre-cleaning:

back side of TB:

This build-up was causing the car to die at idle on throttle lift. Once I cleaned this out, no more problem. It had never been cleaned in 5 years/50k+ miles.

Clean(er) - I didn't do an **** retentive job on it because I was trying to see if that was related to the idle problem, and it appears it was, pre-cleaning you could not even see light around the edge of the plate. After, something maybe ~1mm or slightly less gap all the way around.

Back side upper plenum half, pre-cleaning:

So, when cleaning the throttle body, where do you spray the cleaner in to? Do you just hose down the area shown in pics 2,3 and 4? Also, since the throttle body is so sensitive, is there a DIY on cleaning this section?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThickG
I did this on mine, with similar mileage and it worked like a charm as well!

Out of curiosity, did you do the "deep creep" into the throttle body as well?
i did not do the deep creep... i may still do this

also, i did not put any into the tank because 2 tanks ago I had already added some Lucas Oil fuel injector cleaner stuff

i did in fact pour some seafoam into the crankcase oil last night, and then I had the oil changed today

Old 02-10-2010, 04:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
this is the response I got from SeaFoam guys about fuel treatment

The video show a general application for adding to fuel,oil and in a vacuum line. If you want to truly treat your fuel for cleaning,moisture control and adding upper cylinder lube then the ratio should be one ounce per gallon to get the best results.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts
I use it in my boat all the time, even after sitting for awhile boat starts right up and runs great. Would recommend.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:44 PM
i am about to fill up my tank, so i'll probably just throw my extra bottle of seafoam in there when i do so. after all, i was pretty impressed after i put it into the vacuum line

Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Used two bottles today. I was amazed at the amount of smoke it bellowed out. Slowed traffic down almost to a stop on the road I was parked next to.
The car seemed to be more responsive but I wouldn't know for sure unless I dyno'd it.

The following users liked this post:
Dreamshatterer (06-29-2019)
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do this by feeding it through the vaccum line off the intake manifold.. I let it sip till the car stalls then I throw the rest in the oil crank case.. I then add fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank and I'm done.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
wouldn't it be better to clean the fuel system first and then the engine?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
wouldn't it be better to clean the fuel system first and then the engine?

yeah probably.... the tankful before seafoaming had some lucas oil fuel additive that allegedly cleans the injectors and stuff like that

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
I second the BG cleaner too...Been using Seafoam for about 8 or 9 years with great success. I use it about every 6 months or so. The BG cleaner is less than half the price & works great too...

Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM
I'm about to hit 80k miles and am thinking about this...

I just don't want to create any problems

Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by cpufreak3
I'm about to hit 80k miles and am thinking about this...

I just don't want to create any problems

It doesn't create any problems...you'll be fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
i just wanted to point out that on honda motor's that have already worn piston rings/seals seam-foaming can actually make the situation worse, by removing the carbon build up it actually lets more blow-by past the piston thus burning more oil than prior to running the seam-foam, ive used it in all my car's and never had any problems but if your motor is already burning more oil than usual i dont reccomend usuing this as it could potentially cause it to consume even more'....

basically if your motor is already hurt do not think this will band-aid it and make it last longer...it could potentially make the situation worse..

On a second note, ive always had good experiences with it, i prefer to run it through the vacumm source and crank case vs the fuel tank but it can be done to all 3'. Its recommended you let the car idle for 5-8 minutes after using the sea foam and then take it on a hard spirited drive for 5-10 minutes....bring it home and change the oil....CHANGE THE OIL AFTERWARDS.....i just got my g35 last week and havnt peeked around the engine bay yet due to weather so im not sure how much of a pain it is to change the spark plugs on these car's but if its as easy to do as it is on a honda id also recommend you put some new plugs in as well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I SeaFoamed!