G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 in rain/snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 in rain/snow?

Hey im new around here and am looking into getting a G35. Ive never had a RWD car before so im wondering how they handle. Ive read online that even with the littlest of snow on the ground the car does not handle well at all. Can anyone verify that? Also how does it handle in the rain?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Hey im new around here and am looking into getting a G35. Ive never had a RWD car before so im wondering how they handle. Ive read online that even with the littlest of snow on the ground the car does not handle well at all. Can anyone verify that? Also how does it handle in the rain?
If you have a heavy foot then you'll be doing circles in no time!!!
You just have to get used to the car and you should be fine. You may want to get chains if your expecting icy conditions. Took me a few months to master but I'm not surprised anymore whenever I break traction. Its all about knowing your vehicle. If you know how to drive then you'll be fine.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by flektone
It's the tires, not the car itself.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 02-09-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
It's the tires, not the car itself.
Well I dont think they make "snow" tires anymore. All the tires now are considered "all season". I know if I had 19in low profile tires traction will suck. But im wondering for winter if I threw on 16in wheels with good tires if that will make a difference. It doesnt snow that much in jersey and I wouldnt take the car out if they were predicting a storm. But sometimes ya never know. I just want to make sure If I got caught out with an inch on the ground if id be able to make it home.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 PM
i drove today in up to 4 inches of snow, and with ice all over the road....its fine, you just need winter tires, can't help you out with rainn, haven't drove in rain with summer tires yet lol.

like others said, its about getting to know the car, i turn corners and expect to slide out, as long as you anicipate it, you can more easily react to it.

btw, mine is a manual transmission 05 and i keep the VDC on, VDC is vehicle dynamic control, it has features such as automatic braking and limiting rpms when sliding, it basically takes away any fear of winter driving, sometimes i turn it off to have a little fun, but i have to watch out, this car does crazy things without it, god bless VDC, i'm sure without it i'd be screwed.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
You just have to get used to the car and you should be fine. You may want to get chains if your expecting icy conditions. Took me a few months to master but I'm not surprised anymore whenever I break traction. Its all about knowing your vehicle. If you know how to drive then you'll be fine.
are you just talking about snowy conditions? Or doing circles in the rain?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Well I dont think they make "snow" tires anymore. All the tires now are considered "all season". I know if I had 19in low profile tires traction will suck. But im wondering for winter if I threw on 16in wheels with good tires if that will make a difference. It doesnt snow that much in jersey and I wouldnt take the car out if they were predicting a storm. But sometimes ya never know. I just want to make sure If I got caught out with an inch on the ground if id be able to make it home.
Of course they still make snow tires, not sure where you heard that. Snow tires make a huge difference compared to all season tires or summer rubber. But if you plan on leaving it home when it snows or in icy conditions, all season tires would be sufficient.

Btw, welcome to the forum.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...zak/index.html

Got through this nasty day in Chicago just fine driving through snow and ice.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Night Ryda
http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...zak/index.html

Got through this nasty day in Chicago just fine driving through snow and ice.
do you have these tires on the 19in stock wheels? or a winter set up?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow/winter tires do exist. My RWD with Bridgestone Blizzaks have handled every snowstorm that we've gotten here in Chicago. We got 7-10" of snow today and I drove through it fine... Just don't drive in the winter with the stock summer tires.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I have a 2005 coupe 6MT with Blizzak WS-50's on 17" wheels, and they have saved my *** more times than I care to count. A good snow tire is worth every penny.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Oh yeah? And how many times have you driven your G35 in snow, living in Mirimar CA?

To the OP... you'd better get a good set of winter/snow tires if you plan to drive in snow and ice at all. If you try to drive your G35 Coupe in the snow with the stock summer tires, you probably won't be going anywhere at all and if you do, you'll be likely to crash along the way. The stock tires are not at all rated for harsh winter conditions and they offer almost no grip whatsoever in those situations. Get a set of Blizzaks, or better yet... spring for a winter-beater car that you can drive when it snows, or borrow a friends/relatives FWD/AWD car or 4WD truck/SUV for snowy days.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
do you have these tires on the 19in stock wheels? or a winter set up?
I got em on my stock 18s yes.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
are you just talking about snowy conditions? Or doing circles in the rain?
The first line was more of a joke, but can still happen.
If you throttle into a turn on snowy or wet roads there's a very good chance the *** end will spin around. Thats only if the VDC is turned off. If VDC is on then you have nothing to worry about.

I recommend finding an obstruction free parking lot and play around with the car to see how it handles with the VDC off. You will eventually get used to the way it feels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 in rain/snow?