G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

04 Coupe, just purchased...1.6k in repairs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
04 Coupe, just purchased...1.6k in repairs?

So i just bought a used 2004 coupe with 39k miles on it. Took it to the local dealership to have an oil change and transmission flush. While it was there they said the following need to be replaced

drive belts "they said there dry rotted"-$200
valve cover gaskets- $1000
rear sway bar end links- $180
brake flush- $180

Are these prices far fetched? Im going to take it to a different dealer and see if they find any of these things wrong with it. Im also looking into getting a warantty for the car. I can get a warantee through my bank for 5 years or 100k miles for $1,500 which includes the drive belts, gaskets, and end links, it just wouldnt cover regular fluid changes such as brake fluids/oil etc'

Just kind of a pita because i just bought this from an out of state dealer less than 2 weeks ago. I flew out to purchase it and drove it 6-7 hours home. It stil only has about 40.4k miles on it and im still paying off the sales tax so i really dont have another 2 grand to put into the car, im definately not getting any work done at a dealer unless i purchase the warantee and have them pay for it but none the less, just kinda frustrated.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
are you gonna get the extended warranty before you take it in for repairs?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
are you gonna get the extended warranty before you take it in for repairs?
thats what im looking into, i mean the warantee is $!500 and i can have it added to me current car loan...thats about the same price as the repair quote from the dealer so it would only make sense to get the warantee, wait a couple weeks and take it in for repair's, i just need to make sure all that stuff would be covered

Old 02-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warranty

thats alot... i did the same thing except im a Nissan Tech and the work was done all for 500.00 all i have left to change out is the PCV valve which needs it because the car has 70k.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bring it to ur local mech, 1k for valve cover gaskets LOL

Old 02-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
The valve cover gaskets portion is absurd. Do it yourself!

Old 02-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
The valve cover gaskets portion is absurd. Do it yourself!
thats what i was thinking, im new to the g35 but i built my honda from the ground up, on the honda it takes a whole 20 minutes to replace the valve cover gasket, but then again it also only takes 5 minutes to swap spark plugs where as it looks like a 1-2 hour deal on the g35 with all the covers and misc stuff that has to be moved before hand', im gonna look into everything, i have just about any tool imaginable but i was honestly hoping when i bought this car i wouldnt have to work on it, kinda wanted a hassle free nice clean daily driver and leave the work for the project car but ill definately look into everything', gonna change my plugs tomorrow, ill check everything out while im there doing that'

Trending Topics

Old 02-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
They are trying to **** you, like always. If you don't/can't do it yourself, take it to a local shop with a good reputation. You can usually do a search on google and find some references in other car enthusiast message boards about shops around you that are honest and do good work.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by digital sol
So i just bought a used 2004 coupe with 39k miles on it. Took it to the local dealership to have an oil change and transmission flush. While it was there they said the following need to be replaced

brake flush- $180

Are these prices far fetched? Im going to take it to a different dealer and see if they find any of these things wrong with it. Im also looking into getting a warantty for the car. I can get a warantee through my bank for 5 years or 100k miles for $1,500 which includes the drive belts, gaskets, and end links, it just wouldnt cover regular fluid changes such as brake fluids/oil etc'

Just kind of a pita because i just bought this from an out of state dealer less than 2 weeks ago. I flew out to purchase it and drove it 6-7 hours home. It stil only has about 40.4k miles on it and im still paying off the sales tax so i really dont have another 2 grand to put into the car, im definately not getting any work done at a dealer unless i purchase the warantee and have them pay for it but none the less, just kinda frustrated.
Should have bought mine...I had everything inspected and replaced everything that wasn't in excellent condition including, rear rotors and pads, battery, drive belts, etc. and have the papers to prove it

By the way, mine is still for sale

Old 02-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Oh and take your car to Infiniti...the service is great and the reps are MUCH more trained on your specific car than anywhere else. That's partly why you pay the higher prices. Trust me it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by digital sol
brake flush- $180
Wow....You may hear us refer to the dealerships as "Stealerships" this is a PERFECT example WHY! If you've worked on other cars you won't have any problems doing these repairs yourself. I would buy the drive belts from Nissan cause their quality if far superior to anything aftermarket. Other parts like the end links can be ordered from Riverside Infiniti a sponsor here on Driver 800-919-8130 at a discount....gotta love the STEALERSHIPS!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Inkredibul
Oh and take your car to Infiniti...the service is great and the reps are MUCH more trained on your specific car than anywhere else. That's partly why you pay the higher prices. Trust me it will be worth it in the long run.
This would work fine if you had "STUPID" written on your forehead! Most of the prices given him are 70% higher than what any Nissan dealership would charge to complete the same work!
Gary

Old 02-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Inkredibul
Wow.... that's one of the dumber things I've read today. Listen to Gary, go to Nissan or a qualified independent.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by parhamm1
Wow.... that's one of the dumber things I've read today. Listen to Gary, go to Nissan or a qualified independent.
ehhh.. not really.. i prefer to pay the little extra for the donuts/muffins.. juices.. especailly the LOANER.. you don't get that at nissan..
and nissan guys don't work on infiniti cars THAT often.. i know the two cars are VERY similar but not exact..

and prices are not THAT much different.. i belt change is probably $150 @ nissan, $200 @ infiniti..

I needed a snap lug nuts off.. nissan dealer quoted $110, infiniti $115.. took it to infiniti and got a loaner.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Just last week I got my belts changed at Nissan for $129. You're telling me you can eat $71 worth of donuts and drink that much coffee and juice to make it worth the extra $?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 04 Coupe, just purchased...1.6k in repairs?