G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

(CLUTCH problem) Tried something stupid and now this....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry (CLUTCH problem) Tried something stupid and now this....

I KNOW BETTA THEN THIS!!!!!!

FYI- I have 05G IP coupe 6MT w/52k miles stillen intake & XO2 exhaust

Anyway I was talking to a buddy of mine about how I cant wait for the weather to break so I can go to the track and see what i can do in a 1/4 mile...... I go in to telling him how hard it is to lauch G's without the tires spinning alot and killing your time.
HIS SUGGESTION: I got a buddy with a SRT4 that lauches in second so the car doesnt spin alot .... you should try that. (WHY DID I EVEN COMMIT THAT TO MEMORY)
Couple nights later I tried it on a empty road and now the smell of burnt clutch wont go away and 1 gear doesnt engage at the same point as it used to. Once in 1st gear everything else is fine outside of the clutch smell (shifts fine and no slipping under acceleration) ... DONT KNOW for sure but I have parked the G and started saving for a new clutch. Im thinking ACT stage II since Im planning on goin single turbo in 2011.

ANY THOUGHTS

Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Yea you probably smoked the clutch....but if everything else is working the same it should still last awhile longer.Nothing else smells like a burnt clutch.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I hope so ........... Im about to get the cars lowered saturday and I had some more mods planned for this spring. Dont feel like being bothered with getting the clutch replaced .... Good thing I have a truck I can drive and let the G sit for a while.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
To be honest I doubt it'll help sitting.

What you did was glazed the hell out of the clutch. Yes you've definitely hurt the overall clutch life, but if it's not slipping now then that's a good sign.

You just have to drive the car around (as normal as possible - don't try that launch again) and the glaze will eventually wear off and it'll go back to normal (your engage point should return to where it was previously).

When my clutch was weak (but not slipping) my dad took my car to work a couple days and ended up valeting it at dinner. I'm pretty sure the attendant tried a burnout but with my weak clutch, it just ended up frying the hell out of it. When I drove my car the next morning it was slipping in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. I didn't bother trying 6th as I was sure it'd slip if it was slipping in all the other gears. After driving it for 2-3 days and trying to limit throttle as to not get it to slip, the clutch actually recovered and stopped slipping. I still replaced it 1000 miles later cause I hated the engage point of my weak clutch and not being able to drive my car like it should be.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt go with ACT, in my experience they're turds. Go RPS (6 puck), now thats a sturdy clutch and with the extreme pp you'll love it. Or even Exedy is a good brand.

But yea, sounds like you've burned the tar outta your clutch.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
I have an ACT SS clutch and it's fine...definitely not a race clutch but it drives like stock but holds the power a lot better. Softer pedal afterward too...

Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by BmoreIPdriver
.......... Im about to get the cars lowered saturday
Just curious, where are you getting your car lowered?...and with what?

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2010, 08:41 PM
@Deezflip..... I getting Tein 350z s-tech springs put on at a shop in towson call Audio Connections $75 a wheel

@Brandon402...... really?!?!?! I havent settled on a brand as of yet BUT I do know I wanna go with a Stage 2 clucth

Thanks for all replys

Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
@Deezflip..... I getting Tein 350z s-tech springs put on at a shop in towson call Audio Connections $75 a wheel
Just FYI if they are charging you $75 per corner to put on springs, they are screwing you hard.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
lol hell i'll do it for $150 for everything including an alignment.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by the_coupe
REALLY!!!!!!!!!! I have been trying to get prices and that was the least expensive price I got around town ..... send me you information via email

willchris80@gmail.com

Also, can you do it this weekend.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Brandon402...... really?!?!?! I havent settled on a brand as of yet BUT I do know I wanna go with a Stage 2 clucth

Thanks for all replys
Yea bro, ACT in my experiences have been turds when compared to Exedy and RPS. I think most people go with ACT because of the name and tend to not look beyond that.

As for RPS, I recommend the turbo clutch max series http://www.turboclutch.com/

You dont have to necessarily do the flywheel, however it does come in a package and for the price I would say "might as well" since you'll be in the tranny anyway. Skip resurfacing your stock one and just pop it out and slam in a new billet one.

I had a sport series setup with a sprung 6 puck and that thing took ANYTHING I threw at it. As a matter of fact, my tranny started going before my clutch showed ANY kind of wear. It grabbed beautifully, however the peddle feel was definitely NOT as aggressive as you would think it should have been.

Granted, this was with a Honda, but I would say the quality would be just the same for a Nissan/Infiniti.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
me too, Im going to need an custom alignment somewhere near baltimore. Are you a shop near by?