G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Is it too much to expect a key when u buy a car !!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is it too much to expect a key when u buy a car !!!

Hi everyone,
I've been looking for a g35 for about 5 months and finally got one last weekend - a bright silver 2006 g35 , 6mt with 35k miles with everything except navi..
the price negotiation process was not too smooth , but i got the car for 22k plus taxes.. it took about 5 hours and when i was finally done with everything and am ready to drive off, the salesman hands me just the valet key and tells me that i'd get the main key later..

now, after a week and 8 unanswered calls to the salesman and being given the run around by the sales manager, i still havent got the main keys.. the sales manager keeps telling me that they're still checking with the dealer they got the car from, if they have the keys..

im going to the dealership ( ROSENTHAL NISSAN MAZDA in tysons corner, VA) on tuesday, to get them to give me the keys .. the salesman also told me that he would fix the minor dings in my car.. but since he's not returning my calls, im not sure if he will stick to his word..

1) i'm sorry for the long post, but i'm really frustrated.. is there any way i can make them get me the keys?
i can get the keys from ebay, but isnt the dealer supposed to provide atleast one master key when they sell the car??

2) does anyone know how much a locksmith or dealer would charge to program the transponder? i couldn't find the cost in any of the other posts..
3) also, how much would it cost to fix dings on the hood and behind the driver door?

4)has anyone else had such an experience at ROSENTHAL NISSAN MAZDA?

Old 02-27-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
welcome to the forum!!

but how can a dealer not have the original 2 keys?
thats hella gay

Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
by the way, only an infiniti dealership can program a key for you. a key alone @ Tustin,CA infiniti costed me like $170 to cut and another $80 to program. so just letting you know. for the key fob, you can buy it on ebay and easily program that yourself so dont get that from a dealer.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the dealer said he got he car from another dealer in pennsylvania and the valet key was all he got..

im not sure how they could be careless enough to not get the master keys when they shipped the car from pennsylvania to virginia..

Old 02-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not sure how Virginia is but in some states there is a law that mandates a time frame where you can 'return' a car to the dealer no questions asked. If that applies to you, I'd threaten to do that and I'm sure they'll cough up the key real quick.

As far as the dings, I wouldn't let a dealership that's already sold you the car touch it. They're just going to mess more things up.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:15 AM
they did the same to me, after a day of negotiation, i finally got the car and started to sign a lot of paper. it was late so i have to leave the car there over night for them to clean it up and put in some gas. next day when i came get the car, the salesman only give me 2 keys with no remote for the car. he told me go to service they can get them for me for pretty cheap, i drove to service and they charge me 350+ for to program 1 remote. i was **** at the salesman, and i decided to go with aftermarket alarm. cost me 150$ for the alarm and 100 for the install.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
i didnt get a spare key or a valet key. all i got was 1 key and 1 remote

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unless I really loved that car, I'd return it and bring my money elsewhere. No patience for places like that.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:22 AM
i bought an 05 g35 coupe brilliant silver with 42k miles for 21k drive out from dealer, and i got 2 keys from them, that was it.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by kennymo
i didnt get a spare key or a valet key. all i got was 1 key and 1 remote
Same here, but I got a good deal on the car so I didn't care.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:23 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i would go and see the salesman personally.. not call him..

also.. 5 hours for a car? i dont think i ever spend more than a hour.. maybe 2 max.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Just got mine used. 2 keys and one key fob. I'm ok with that.

I would think that the dealership, provided they didn't get a master key originally, would suck it up and have one made for a potential sale (even before you got there). They shouldn't be dicking you around like this.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if the sales man tells you you'll get the main key later I'll expect that from him...go see him in person..I hated when sales people tell you something than don't go through what they say..either that or if you state law gives you so many days to returned the car,I'd returned the car back to him.don't respect me as a customer I'll take my money somewhere else..

Old 02-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, that's some BS! Sorry to hear that. Did you get anything along the lines of an IOU? The dealership I got my car at had a "We owe you..." and on the bottom of the same sheet "You own us..." It was on carbon paper, so we each got a copy.

I was looking at a car from Rosenthal as well, but didn't end up going there. My whole (used car) buying experience at Passport in Alexandria took about 4-5 hours as well. A lot of that time was waiting for the trade to get looked at, and relooked at, and looked at again (camry with some "history").

Fixing a ding has a lot to do with how hard it is to get to. For example, if they have to take out the rear seat, then the arm rest, then move some wires, etc, to get behind the ding, that might be expensive. But if they can pop it out from the outside, then it'll be not so expensive.

Buying a new key is cheap, but I think getting it reporgrammed is the expensive part.

I would pay the salesman a visit, preferably on a busy day. Hassle him the whole time, follow him around, and if he tries to pick up a new customer, make it real obvious your unhappy you are with your buying experience at the dealership. It dirty, i know, but it'll get your point across and hopfully have them speed things up before you cause them to lose sales

I hope everything works out for you, good luck.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Nissan dealer I had program my key charged me $75 but other people have been saying Nissan does it for $40. I was too lazy to shop around but I'm pretty sure almost any locksmith can program them. I've even heard some home depots will do it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it too much to expect a key when u buy a car !!!