G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Restoring Original Shine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:18 PM
Brilliant silver. Tons of scratches. Super flat. When I bought it was neglected. I don't think the original owned ever polished it...or worse washed it. I claybarred and what not last season to bring it back a little bit but now its time to get serious. If you have scratches down to basecoat or primer those will stay but everything else goes with the sandpaper. If you start seeing your paint color on the sand paper stop immediately.

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:20 PM
|
The problem for me isn't scratches, the used very lightly but the it was kept outside and never washed, The problem is that the paint has gone flat and the color is fading a little. I was thiking of getting my car proffesionally detailed by Big A over on NYCG35.com I have heard great things about his work

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:23 PM
Don't know him. What your problem is, is that you have dirt, oxidation, corrosion etc in the clear. The clay bar is going to take some time but that should do the trick.

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:31 PM
everything
Originally Posted by scottfedm
Reggae,
Instead of busting you up let me help you out.
It all depends on how rough your car is.
Try clay barring. Try a panel. If its not enough shine you may have to get a bit extreme.

OPTION 1:

Clay bar
Medium cut compound
Fine Cut compound
polish
carnuba.

OPTION 2
(BE CAREFUL you can take your clearcoat off but is very effective if done right also you will need a lot of time)
Wet sand entire car (1500-2000 grit)
Heavy compound
Med compound
Light compound
Polish
Carnuba

I'm in the process of doing option 2 right now. Took me a day to get wetsand, heavy cut and med cut. This will take out all surface level scratches and swirls. You are sanding down clear coat so be careful not to go thru. I will post pictures soon so you can see how effective it is.
Maybe its just me but obviously if he's asking what he can do to make his paint new looking he has no experience with detailing himself. Last thing Id be telling someone like that is to take sandpaper in your option 2 or even abrasive compounds to his car. Good way to royally f**k up your finish when you have no experience with this. Atleast practice on a junk car before you go ahead and try something that drastic.

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:31 PM
|
Awesome, thanks alot man, looking forward to working on this, I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2010 | 10:35 PM
G2flip,
Like I said...Options. Its up to him what he does. But at least he knows what tools will do the job.

Old 03-17-2010 | 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Reggae420
I have a 2003 Coupe, It is IP and the brightness of the pain is fading away, I was looking for a way to restore the original shine of the factory paint job, my best bet is to get the car detailed right? How much should I expect to pay and does anyone have any reccomendations for good places to get it done in the NJ area? (Morris County)
Thanks alot.
careful....car has clearcoat

Old 03-17-2010 | 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
Just an FYI... I think the Search feature on this forum SUCKS!

I just did a search for detailing... first few results are as follows...

1. Aggressive Wheels & Stretched Tires: Post 'Em Up!
2. The "Look what i got TODAY!" Thread!
3. *SOLVED* Engine Startup Clanking Noise, 2005 G35 Coupe. (With Video)
4. Sticky: *Official* G35 Modded Sedan Picture Thread
5. Sticky: October Minnesota Chat Thread

WTF kind of results are those for the keyword "detailing"?

Youre prob looking at $100-400 for a professional detailing.

I'll help you guys out with searching. When you click on search click onto Advanced Search, type your what you're looking for and just below the box there is an option where you change it to Search Titles Only, next scroll down to where it says Sort results by and choose Relevancy. This should give you much better results and get rid of all the unneeded threads. Here is a pic of how your advanced search page should look, note the red boxes are the keys to a proper search. Also make sure on the right where it lists the different forums here you have it set to Search all open forums. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2010 | 11:00 PM
Raggae,
As you can see from some of the responses. It is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. If your careful you can get great results.

Last edited by scottfedm; 03-17-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 07:23 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
Originally Posted by johnnyd6404
I'll help you guys out with searching. When you click on search click onto Advanced Search, type your what you're looking for and just below the box there is an option where you change it to Search Titles Only, next scroll down to where it says Sort results by and choose Relevancy. This should give you much better results and get rid of all the unneeded threads. Here is a pic of how your advanced search page should look, note the red boxes are the keys to a proper search. Also make sure on the right where it lists the different forums here you have it set to Search all open forums. Hope this helps.
Well said. Obviously you've mastered the art of searching. This should be a stickied post and required reading for all n00bs and it comes from someone with 19 posts.

Old 03-18-2010 | 01:52 PM
Call Metro Autobody in saddlebrook NJ. $140 for a professional detail

Old 03-18-2010 | 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by scottfedm
Brilliant silver. Tons of scratches. Super flat. When I bought it was neglected. I don't think the original owned ever polished it...or worse washed it. I claybarred and what not last season to bring it back a little bit but now its time to get serious. If you have scratches down to basecoat or primer those will stay but everything else goes with the sandpaper. If you start seeing your paint color on the sand paper stop immediately.
You should almost never sand the paint, it is completely necessary and will remove more clear than you need to. By the time you see color on your sandpaper, you've already done hundreds of dollars of damage to your clear coat. You could have just use a medium and light polish and removed 95% of the scratches in your clearcoat.

Old 03-18-2010 | 02:24 PM
I agree, wet sanding a car is something that almost NEVER has to be done if you know how to polish it correctly or take it to someone that knows how to polish correctly. Here's a link to a car I detailed that was about as scratched and swirled as a car can get and there was NO COMPOUND used at all. With detailing, like with most things, you get what you pay for. don't skimp out, spend the money to get it done right. Here's the car I did last summer that was TRASHED.

https://g35driver.com/forums/care-de...d-up-350z.html

Old 03-18-2010 | 02:34 PM
everything
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Well said. Obviously you've mastered the art of searching. This should be a stickied post and required reading for all n00bs and it comes from someone with 19 posts.
Why isnt relevancy the default? Who wants to find something that isnt relevant to what youre searching for? Makes no sense that this option isn't default....

Old 03-18-2010 | 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Yea I'm new here but not to car forums learned this trick over on maxima.org