G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

LMAO At dealer......

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 08:09 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LMAO At dealer......

Well I took the G in for service today. I had a few things to get installed, New Headlight and steering wheel, Plus I wanted to mention that the car burns an average of 1 quart of oil every 1,000 miles. Now It never had this problem until about 7,000 miles ago (last couple of oil changes). The servoce guy turns to me and says with a straight face, "Thats normal." I wasn't sure that I actually heard that so I asked him to repeat it and sure enough he told me that a quart of oil every thousand miles is normal. Mind you sometimes it's more than a quart. I did one oil change and was left with less than 2 quarts, before I started watching it closely and topping it off every thousand or so miles. So I basically looked at the guy and told him I wasn't buying it and that I want the car checked out. He says that they'll look into it....

I mean honestly someone stop me if I'm wrong but that kind of oil consumption seems a little on the high side to me. Not to mention that I think if I tried the car wouldn't pass emmissions at this point. I've been told that there is a little black smoke out of the exhaust but I'm never back there to see obviously so I dont know how bad it is. This should be a fun battle. Just thought I'd share.

Has anyone had the oil problem and had it fixed and if so did they say what the problem was?

Old 09-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: LMAO At dealer......

maybe he used to work at a mazda dealership. cuz i heard that rotary engines go through oil like it was going out of style.

2004 Clear'd and Creamy Pearl 6MT
Aero and Premium goodness
Graphite to help get the "lead" out
Stillen CAI w/ OEM 350z tube
AIM= VERTiBRAKE

Old 09-13-2004, 09:56 PM

I'm begining to wonder whether Nissan has a REALLY BIG PROBLEM WITH ITS VQ ENGINES in this car. My car is also consuming approximately 1 qt per 1,000. The service manager told me that the Nissan Tech Dept told them this is NOT NORMAL. Mind you they would not tell me in writing what normal oil consumption is. I've been told it 1 quart per 3k max but can't confirm this. Today the Tech Department proposed replacing the short block (see my recent post). I'm skeptical to say the least. Good luck to you.

PS. I'm begining to wonder whether a class action suit is needed to ensure that all of us with this problem (and there are more) are properly and equitably cared for.

PPS What year is your car?

Old 09-13-2004, 10:54 PM
G SQUAD

2003 6mt, bought it in May. I have about 35,500 miles on it I don't consider my driving style to be constantly beating on the car, Hell I'm in traffic most of the time. I'm gonna ask for documentation that this kind of consumption is normal when they try to play it off as expected. Then I'll take it to my friends shop and have it tested for emissions cause I'm guessing it will fail. Just about how many people have this problem and what is being done for it anyway??

Old 09-14-2004, 06:23 AM

1 quart for every 1000 miles is nuts. That means if you go 3750 miles between oil changes you'll have just over 1 quart of oil left in your engine. THAT'S NUTS!!!

Old 09-14-2004, 07:13 AM

I bought mine in March of '03. The Nissan Comsumer Affairs rep. told me that oil consumption is a problem they are aware of but didn't give me specifics as to how many cars are affected. The impression I got, rightly or not, is that this is a big problem for Nissan.

Do a search on this site, freshalloy.com, my350z.com, and some of the other g35 and Z sites and you'll see that others have had this problem also. I'm going to start looking at other Nissan forums to see if the problem shows up on other models using the VQ engine.

My Service Manager also tried to brush me off when I first came in with this problem. He blamed the oil loss on my driving habits. I then gave the car to my wife who put strictly non-traffic freeway miles on for 1,000 miiles and it still burned oil like crazy.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Banned

Nick,

Which dealer did you go to?

NY G SQUAD<font color=red>&lt;---Official Website

Old 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM
G SQUAD

Assapequa......er I mean Massapequa Infiniti. I have never been happy with the way they deal with me but I always have a part on order there that needs to go in so I keep going there. after the next set of repairs I'm going somewhere else. Hell can I go to nissan for warrnty repair? I dont need a friggin loaner I need good service.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:18 AM

Just got off the phone with the dealer. I haven't even gotten my first oil change (i have about 3K on the car) and it has burned well over 2 quarts. I asked if this was normal and the Service person said "ABSOLUTELY NOT, Bring the car in ASAP." So it looks like I found an honest dealer! Devan Infiniti Rules.

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi (every option offered)
Porkchop Sandwiches

Old 09-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Banned

Nick,
Go to Competition in Smithtown for Warranty work. They do a great job

JB

Old 09-14-2004, 09:42 AM
G SQUAD

Yeah When they try to pawn it off as normal again I am just going to give them a piece of mind mind as far as their service is concerned and take it somewhere else. You know a service department is a big part of a dealership. This car isn't going to last forever so how I am treated at a dealer will dictate where I will buy in the future. But it's not my job to teach these fools how to conduct business.

What I dont understand, and maybe someone can clear up for me, is why would a dealership turn down work?? Honestly I know that they probably get a lower labor rate for warranty repair but why on earth would you turn down work. They are paying those guys an hourly rate in the shop anyway. Why not get them working to do it. I mean to replace the engine is a nice chunk of change for the dealership I would think. Maybe it's all the red tape they have to go through but to me it's retarted.

For instance both my headlights are cracked inside the lens and are covered under warranty. Ok no problem but they can only order one headlight at a time because they cost too much, according to the dealer. So I say fine do what you have to do. Meanwhile a headlight comes in. I told them to order another and I'll come down when they get it in which would make both our lives a little eaiser. Nope they can't do it until they fix the first one. How smart is that? Now I have to drive there twice, take one of their loaners twice, and they have to do twice the paperwork and labor. I mean, I have a little bit of an operations management background and this all just seems plain stupid.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man.....
At 13Kmiles, mine uses virtually NO oil between changes!
?????

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 09-14-2004, 10:21 AM
G SQUAD

Thats it, neither did mine. So i guess since mine is "Normal" yours must be broke. LoL better take it in to the dealer and tell them that it's not burning enough oil......

Old 09-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Banned

Nick,
You need to let Infiniti Corporate know of this. The headlight thing may be the most ridiculous thing I have heard. last week my window stopped working. I called Competion, made an appointment, They had a loaner waiting for me. It turned out they had to order a part... no problem...kept the loaner car overnight and picked up my car the next day..No BS.... Boy did I love beating on that loaner!

Old 09-14-2004, 10:47 AM
G SQUAD

I know they gave me a g35x which is pretty hott. Got SAT too which is nice.

Yeah I'm not one to complain too much but once I hear their oficall stance on the oil thing I'll let loose on corporate if need be. All I want is the problem fixed so I can continue modding lol.....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.