G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Engine replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine replacement

So my car has been making a funny noise the last week or so and i finally got a chance to take it up to my local Nissan dealership where I usually get it serviced. He just called and said my engine needs to be replaced because of the oil burning issue. I have an 05 with 62,000 miles. He said I have to take it to Infiniti to get fixed. I bought this car in December and this just happened!

Is this going to be covered under factory warranty? I am not the original owner. Am I still covered by the factory warranty even though I just purchased this car used??

Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, it should be under warranty.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I know the powertrain is 6 years and 70k miles but I am really concerned that they may pull some bs about not transferring the warranty when I bought it. Anyone think this is something I should be concerned about??

Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
The warranty transfer isn't your problem. Warranty stays with the car. Your issue will be providing proof that the oil was changed on a regular basis following the manufacturer recommendations. Any idea on the history of the car? If it was serviced at any Infiniti dealer in the country your local dealer will be able to pull the service records up.

Good luck with this!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
oh man. I have no clue how often it was serviced before I bought it. I have changed the oil once since I purchased it but it was not at Infiniti but I do have the service record. Anyone had any experiences like this??

Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
I should also mention that I bought my G at a local Honda dealership in Tampa and bought an extended warranty from the dealership. So even if I have trouble with the factory warranty it should still be covered under this one right?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 PM

I still think you will have the responsibility of proving all required maintenance was completed on the engine. Otherwise no warranty will pay for the replacement engine.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
The warranty transfer isn't your problem. Warranty stays with the car. Your issue will be providing proof that the oil was changed on a regular basis following the manufacturer recommendations. Any idea on the history of the car? If it was serviced at any Infiniti dealer in the country your local dealer will be able to pull the service records up.

Good luck with this!
Blue Dream, you were correct. They did require service records for it to be covered under the factory warranty. Luckily for me the original owner had the car serviced at Infiniti regularly up untill about 36,000 miles. This was enough for them to service my car under warranty. I am now going through an oil consumption test and have to bring the car back after 1k miles. After that I should be getting a brand new engine from Infiniti!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:42 PM

Congrats. Way to be thorough and follow up on the issue! I'm also glad to see a dealer do the right thing and take care of their customers.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
So after 1000 miles I brought the car back in yesterday. After a short wait they informed that the engine is still "eating through oil" as he said it and they have a new long block on order for me from Japan. All the parts should be in within a week and best of all its all covered under factory warranty with 65000 miles on my car. I am really happy with Infiniti right now and just thought I'd share that there are still some good dealerships out there that wont try to hussle you.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:16 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
With 65k on the clock, now is a good time to install a few things in the engine to make things easier. I got mine replaced 3k miles ago and wish I did it then.

Ask if you can bring in a flywheel/clutch combo while the transmission is separated from the engine. It will save you money in future when it come to labor. If I had money at the time, I would have had headers and a polished timing cover installed. Oh well.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 AM
^^Thanks for the tip. I was thinkin about having them replace the clutch and flywheel. Should I go with a stock replacement? Whats best for these cars?

Old 05-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Could you please take a moment and explain the "funny noise" your old engine was making that prompted you to take it into the Nissan dealership.
I too, just purchased this G35 and it occasionally makes a few noises that don't sit well with me.
After I did the first oil change, I checked it about 800 miles later and it was down a quart! I'm starting to wonder if mine is crap.
(It's a rev-up motor with 40k on the clock)

Old 05-29-2010, 04:15 PM
^^It sounds similar to my situation. Its an unusal noise coming from the engine. At first it sounded like something flapping against the ground but as my car continued to eat oil it started sounding more like metal on metal grinding... I hope this helps. I would definitely take it Infiniti as soon as ya can and start your oil consumption test.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
The HKS G35 they tested the GT S/C on had an oil problem. The cats had broken up and a piece some how made its way back into the motor if I remember correctly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine replacement