G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

best oil for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vipers
First of all, for every oil except Amsoil, what your mechanic said is correct. But Amsoil is much different than the other synthetics out there...I am a part-time dealer and if you'd like me to go into detail about why this oil is better for your car, just PM me.
Can you explain this here please?

I am about to change oil too

Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Amsoil is not GOD oil.

Yes its good, but according to the chart Castrol Syntec 5w/30 (Group III oil) out performed its Amsoil's Best Oil (SSO) in the VQ. And German Castrol(syntec 0w-30) which is a group IV/V oil just like Amsoil SSO out performed it even more.

Tests do not lie. Do your research.

And yes you can run any oil for as long as you want, as long as there is enough Viscosity and properties left in the oil for it to be run that long. Go with Factory intervals and send your oil in for a UOA to find out how much longer you can go for.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 04-26-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:08 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
I just put whats on sale; either Mobile1, Castrol Syntec, or Penzoil Platinum. Pepboys is doing 5qts of mobile1 and M1 filter for 29.99, so I picked up 5qts Mobile 1 Extended Performance with M1-110 filter. But I find its not so much the brand but the interval. The more frequent the better.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Castrol 0w-30 is really good stuff, but if money is a little tight then i use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 which is just as good!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
ive been using Castrol and change around 4000

Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Amsoil is not GOD oil.

Yes its good, but according to the chart Castrol Syntec 5w/30 (Group III oil) out performed its Amsoil's Best Oil (SSO) in the VQ. And German Castrol(syntec 0w-30) which is a group IV/V oil just like Amsoil SSO out performed it even more.
I didn't say it was God, I said it was better. You want to talk performance? Okay, if there's a chart that said Castrol is better for maximum performance then I'll believe it. But like I said, I wasn't always an Amsoil dealer and I've had all of the oils in my car that YOU'RE ALL RECOMMENDING. Personally, this car drives better now with 76,XXX miles on it with Amsoil for the last 40K miles than it did when I first bought it. It's a personal opinion, but many good and bad issues with this car are relatively similar across the board.

Maybe you have a different use for this car, but this is my DD and I want a reliable oil. If you can honestly feel a performance difference from Amsoil to Castrol then good for you, but I'd say it's mind over matter. My car doesn't feel faster, it just feels "right" and I shouldn't have to explain what that means.

And btw, to all of you that say I'm crazy, I also have a 1994 V-8 Mustang with 252,XXX miles that runs like a charm and has had Amsoil it's whole life, which is what made me want to sell it. That car has had 14 oil changes in 16 years and it runs great.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:15 AM
All of those numbers are just ways oil manufacturers get you to buy their product. The truth is, it doesnt matter what oil you use if its changed on a regular basis and you take care of your car, it will stay running. Look at how many cars people drive with over 200k miles, do you think they buy the best oil to throw in their beasts? (generally speaking) NO. Why? Because it doesnt matter, just change your oil.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd run dino oil before I ran mobil 1. It's garbage. Yes it USED to be good. Not the case anymore.

German Castrol 0W30 is all mine will ever see.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
I didn't say it was God, I said it was better. You want to talk performance? But like I said, I wasn't always an Amsoil dealer and I've had all of the oils in my car that YOU'RE ALL RECOMMENDING. Personally, this car drives better now with 76,XXX miles on it with Amsoil for the last 40K miles than it did when I first bought it. It's a personal opinion, but many good and bad issues with this car are relatively similar across the board.

Maybe you have a different use for this car, but this is my DD and I want a reliable oil. If you can honestly feel a performance difference from Amsoil to Castrol then good for you, but I'd say it's mind over matter. My car doesn't feel faster, it just feels "right" and I shouldn't have to explain what that means.
No I don't, there are next to no gains in performance by just switching oils of the same weight, I am talking about wear and protection. Which Castrol does a better job according to the UOA in the chart above. Science > word of mouth

We both have the same common interest and want the best oil for our motors, Amsoil is good but its not as good as you claim it to be.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
mao
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i used to use German Castrol, but now i'm using Amsoil 0W30 signature.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
No I don't, there are next to no gains in performance by just switching oils of the same weight, I am talking about wear and protection. Which Castrol does a better job according to the UOA in the chart above. Science > word of mouth

We both have the same common interest and want the best oil for our motors, Amsoil is good but its not as good as you claim it to be.
Agree to disagree...I just don't understand how much better it could be.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am a part-time dealer and if you'd like me to go into detail about why this oil is better for your car, just PM me.
As much as I researched, I'm always more than ready and willing to learn from others that are more knowlegeable than myself. It would serve a greater purpose if you posted it on here for evryone to read. After all we're all car enthusiasts and here solely for the greater purpose of improving our cars. Thank you very much in advance.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Best oil for our cars....lots of opinions but the truth is if you're using synthetic and change it frequently it doesn't matter what your likes or dislikes are. I used Mobil 1 for 125K miles with my last Z and it's still on the road. Since the question was "Best Oil" Amsol or Red Line would be my answer....I use Red Line & K&N filters!
Gary

Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
^ I thought you said Mobil 1 is the "best" haha

Originally Posted by gary c
This is good to hear....Mobil 1 5W/30 is the best synthetic, and you can buy it at Wall Mart in a 5QT jug.
Gary

Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by jsdrn
All of those numbers are just ways oil manufacturers get you to buy their product. The truth is, it doesnt matter what oil you use if its changed on a regular basis and you take care of your car, it will stay running. Look at how many cars people drive with over 200k miles, do you think they buy the best oil to throw in their beasts? (generally speaking) NO. Why? Because it doesnt matter, just change your oil.
On the very basic level, you are right. Changing your oil on regular intervals > anything. (short of getting UOAs and using Amsoil for long drains etc)

BUT, those numbers above are from independant oil analysis from other G/Z owners. NOT numbers from the maker.

And DAMN, Redline got owned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best oil for our cars?