G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Optima Red Top installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Optima Red Top installed

Bought and installed an Optima Red Top (model 35) yesterday. (Funny how it was mother's day yesterday, but yet, I somehow was able to get something for myself...whooops)

Up until yesterday, I was running the same OEM battery on the car since new. Not sure how it lasted 7 years, but then again, car only has 12k miles. So I decided to splurge and get a red top. I could have paid 1/2 the price for a Duralast (or equivalent) from Autozone, but I felt that the weight savings plus reliability (and increased CCA helps too) was worth the money.

Install was a breeze, simple removal of old and installation of new using the plastic bracket that came with the new battery to get it to right height. Although the red top is a little narrower than the OEM so the hold-down bracket doesn't fit snugly on either side of the battery. I just made sure it's really bolted down good to avoid battery movement.

I took it for a drive yesterday (raining today) and all is well. As far as any differences noticed, I would say I don't notice any diff from my stock one. Anyone running the red top setup and can convince me that I didn't just waste 165 bucks (versus 90 for common equivalent) on a battery? Is it just peace of mind that I gain?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:47 PM
i installed a yellow top and didnt notice any difference. but then again what difference were you expecting? i got the yellow top because i put in the underpulleys and have a sub. and figured the yellow top would hold up to more abuse than an OEM or equiv. i dont see spending the extra money unless its needed.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
I had installed a yellow top about a year ago. My Pioneer navi's display got instantly brighter and the bass seemed so much deeper but the G's Bose set up is a big disappointment compare to my 2005 Pathfinder's Bose set up. I guess it's the assurance factor that led me to purchase the Optima

Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by gzywzy1k
i installed a yellow top and didnt notice any difference. but then again what difference were you expecting? i got the yellow top because i put in the underpulleys and have a sub. and figured the yellow top would hold up to more abuse than an OEM or equiv. i dont see spending the extra money unless its needed.
I guess I wasn't expecting any "noticeable" difference...just wondering if paying 90 for a Duralast would have been "good enough"... I guess for the red top, the fact that it starts up everytime is prolly good enough Then again my OEM battery did as well. I got a red top because my car is stock in terms of electronics.

Originally Posted by iky80
I had installed a yellow top about a year ago. My Pioneer navi's display got instantly brighter and the bass seemed so much deeper but the G's Bose set up is a big disappointment compare to my 2005 Pathfinder's Bose set up. I guess it's the assurance factor that led me to purchase the Optima
So for both of you, you've had no issues with the Optimas?

Edit: I guess after further reading, Optimas are NOT gel-based but rather, sealed lead acid. So trickle charger setting will still fall under "wet".

Last edited by 1RAREG; 05-10-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
I installed the yellow top not to long ago. My OEM is still running perfect but I wanted the security of the optimas batteries. Havent noticed any sort of difference. Maybe my 10in sub sounds louder?

Anyone want to pick up a Perfect OEM for $30?

Old 05-10-2010, 05:04 PM
no complaints ... i didnt put the height adjuster in there because i was late for work ..... its prob bouncin around in there, i should prob go back and put it in there lol

Originally Posted by 1RAREG
I guess I wasn't expecting any "noticeable" difference...just wondering if paying 90 for a Duralast would have been "good enough"... I guess for the red top, the fact that it starts up everytime is prolly good enough Then again my OEM battery did as well. I got a red top because my car is stock in terms of electronics.

So for both of you, you've had no issues with the Optimas?

Also, I just wanted to ask, I know that the Optimas are gel-based batteries, so does that make any difference in terms of trickle-charging? My charger has a setting for wet versus gel, so obviously I will set it to gel... but I just wanted to make sure there was no additional step I was missing to set my charger up during prolonged durations of non-use.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by gzywzy1k
no complaints ... i didnt put the height adjuster in there because i was late for work ..... its prob bouncin around in there, i should prob go back and put it in there lol
yeah you probably want to put that in there. You're talking about the plastic height adjuster that comes with the optima, though? If so, you're fine as long as you securely bolt down the clamp. Your terminals might just have to stretch further.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
the cables are fine but bolts didnt tighten down all the way. sounds like a good project for today!

yeah you probably want to put that in there. You're talking about the plastic height adjuster that comes with the optima, though? If so, you're fine as long as you securely bolt down the clamp. Your terminals might just have to stretch further.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:21 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I felt that the weight savings plus reliability (and increased CCA helps too) was worth the money.
According to Optima's site the red top is only ~5 lbs lighter (36 vs 31) than stock. Is that right?

Is there any battery that can provide similar performance to stock (CCA & life) but can also provide significant weight savings (10+ lbs)?

Swapping batteries in the winter is an option, but slow charging them in the off-season slowly kills them too

Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by NYT
Is there any battery that can provide similar performance to stock (CCA & life) but can also provide significant weight savings (10+ lbs)?
Braille battery is extremely lightweight and compact, not likely to find any lighter automotive battery.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed a yellow top when I replaced the Bose system with 3 400w Focal amps and all Focal speakers. Everything seems to work just fine.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The battery is only used to start the car, that's it. The alternator runs all of the electronics so to think that the optima is going to make subs hit harder or make lights brighter is crazy

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The only thing you'll notice with any Optima battery is the security that it will be stronger and might last longer than your OE battery. Worth the $$ but only if you have something gigantic to play tunes on and then maybe you're better off with a battery tender....
Gary

Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Well since this old thread got bumped I will mention that I am surprised no one has said anything about how much faster their motor cranks over at start up. The increased CCAs from the optima i have makes it crank over noticeably faster.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
"The battery is only used to start the car, that's it. The alternator runs all of the electronics"
Ummm correction... the battery is in parallel with the Alt... so they both share the load.

That being said I installed a red top and the car spins over fast & shorter start up time.
With the stock battery ( during re construction ) 7-8 rotations of crank... now 2-3 rotations and vroom.

The only " install " issue I had was to make an 1/8 shim to go under the battery hold down... so I wasn't " bottomed out " on the hold down rods.

Mike

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top installed