Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by NachoCheese
5at + vb > 6mt
Agreed.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, the install of the transgo shift kit could be done by a monkey. All you need is patience. It is by NO MEANS difficult and I did it in about 2 hours total. It messy as hell though...lol.

Bring your car to Puerto Rico and I'll do it for $300....and that's cause my driveway is uncomfortable as hell.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Is there like an online instructions manual to look at? I'd like to see exactly what's involved to install it. Maybe i can make it a weekend project or something lol.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^ damn 2 hours haha you must've been pro.. still took my friends and I about 4, and we had a lift, but we weren't rushing by any means.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
Is there like an online instructions manual to look at? I'd like to see exactly what's involved to install it. Maybe i can make it a weekend project or something lol.
https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...y-upgrade.html

The DIY install thread

Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Thank you!

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by elayman
^ damn 2 hours haha you must've been pro.. still took my friends and I about 4, and we had a lift, but we weren't rushing by any means.
I didn't include drain time because it was already empty when I started....but I did it on my garage floor, by myself, and went from start to finish without stopping for anything.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
ive done it at least 20 times so far. its not really hard but requires a lot of patience. Just take your time b/c if you drop something get ready for a nightmare. nissan makes one of the most complicated valve bodies out there

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
G
Originally Posted by elayman
I've done the install twice. It's not that hard just time consuming. I just used ziplock bags labeled for the size of the bolt and it was pretty easy to organize.
^ +1.

elayman did his own Trango vb upgrade with a friend and subsequently helped me with mine.

The install technically is relatively easy: drain the transmission fluid, unbolt the pan, unbolt the valvebody, disconnect a few wire clips, change out a few valves and springs, drill 3 holes into the gasket, reinstall in reverse order, and pour in new trans fluid. The hardest part I'd say was forcing the new stiffer springs back into the valve body; that's what probably took us the most time.

It also helps a LOT if you have a lift, since the valve body itself is pretty heavy [and costly if you drop it]. It's also very messy since when you do this install, you must drain all the transmission fluid, which can easily get everywhere since it doesn't all come out at once (fluid sits in the pan and inside the valve body).

If you set aside enough time, go at a slow and steady pace, and group and label all similar bolts you take out, then the install is definitely DIY-able.

Last edited by xx7sephiroth7xx; 06-01-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
I too am interested in this. I called a bunch of shops to see who would do a tranny install for me and the best quote I got was from (http://www.leemyles.com/) I then started to ask them questions about building trannys and their rates seemed pretty cheap. They have a bunch of guys that have been doing vb upgrades for 30+ years now. The guy I spoke with said they have all sorts of nasty cars in their garage. That being said, they aren't the typical tranny shop, these guys specialize in high performance cars. I have an appointment to meet with them tomorrow. I'll ask them how much for just the transgo kit install for you.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
^^Note: I am speaking for the shop in West Roxbury MA. I see there are places all along the east coast including three in CT but I have no idea about those shops. I would assume they would charge the same but I do not know anything about their reputation or experience. Depending on where you are in CT, West Roxbury MA is pretty close.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
This is definitly a future mod..

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Thank you guys soo much for all your info. Im probably going to see if I can find a cheaper shop if not take a weekend or more ..lol.. to do it. thanks again

Old 06-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks alot Procharger I would love to know the price and I have no problem traveling up to MA for my baby to shift faster

Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 AM
So I stopped by LeeMyles Tranny shop the other day and the main mechanic is a transmission nut. I forget his name, but he is the guy that does most of the work. He started talking to me about how he met Gil Younger, the inventor and founder of Transgo... and later got into how awesome the G35 is. After the long convo I had with him, it was apparent that he eats, breaths, and sleeps transmissions and definitely loves his job. When I asked him about the cost of the install he told me probably about 300 dollars. He said it would be a breeze as long as he doesn't run into many problems which he suspected he wouldn't.

With that being said, you could contact a LeeMyles down in your area but I have a feeling it just wont be the same as the one up here. Give them a call, and see what they tell you...they are really nice guys.

Good luck and tell us where you end up going and how much it cost you

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transgo Shift Kit Install