G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check Engine Oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Oil

Hey everyone,
I have a 2007 G35x Sedan.. I got an oil change last week (not at the dealer) and on the way to work this morning the "Check Engine Oil" message came on the information area near my speedometer.

Does that mean the place probably didnt actually change my oil? Is there anything else that could cause this?

At first i thought it was just my generic maintenance reminder that i forgot to reset or something.. then i realized it specifically said oil with the maintenance reminders dont do.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Not sure, but thats weird. You might want to take it back to the mechanic and see what they say.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhhh....did you at least check the oil? Any leaking from under the car? There are so many reasons why this could happen....95% of them are bad. Start with the dipstick and go from there.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lee R
uhhhh....did you at least check the oil? Any leaking from under the car? There are so many reasons why this could happen....95% of them are bad. Start with the dipstick and go from there.
no i didnt check anything.. it came on just as i was getting to work. i dont know much about cars either. i didnt see any oil leaking but ill check my parking spot when i leave today.
i called the place i got it done and they said to bring it in and theyd take a look at it :[

if theyre' the culprit, im kind of scared to go there...

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
^ just check the oil level...

will do!

Last edited by iLoveMyG35x; 06-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
^ just check the oil level...

Old 06-01-2010, 03:34 PM
actually.. now that i think about it, it hasnt leaked.. i got the oil change last week and i havent seen anything in the garage. i guess thats kind of a good sign.... maybe? :[

Old 06-01-2010, 03:46 PM
it doesn't matter if it hasn't leaked if they didn't put enough in the first place. Just check the oil level.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I guess you don't know much about cars when you see that warning on your dash you should be pulling your dipstick....that's the yellow thing under your hood and check the oil level. If your smoke alarm went off wouldn't you be looking for the cause?
Gary

Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
wow dude just listen to others. and check yoru dam oil level. **** stop being so dam lazy. if you DONT have any oil in your engine it can be ****ed.

if there is oil in the engine your engine can still be ****ed. but we won't know anything until you eliminate some stuff first. there's so much stuff that can trigger that light.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have been driving the car with that light on your engine is probably f***, when it came on u should of immediately stopped and check the oil level on the dipstick THIS IS AS BASIC AS IT GETS every man should know how to do this! Pop the hoop and take the stick out and look if its low... Dont Drive the car! Hope u still under warranty Good Luck

Old 06-02-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Ok are you talking about the "Oil" light that takes up your whole little screen on your dash? or the tiny icon?

If its the bigger one they just forgot to reset the maintenance reminder. There are like 3 different types of maintenance reminders.... my mechanic sets it to 5000 miles so when it comes on (huge pic of oil thingy) I just take it in.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
I guess you don't know much about cars when you see that warning on your dash you should be pulling your dipstick....that's the yellow thing under your hood and check the oil level. If your smoke alarm went off wouldn't you be looking for the cause?
Gary
well.. i claimed i didnt know that much about cars.. if a smoke alarm went off, i would look for the cause. i came here to get an idea of where to start..

Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
wow dude just listen to others. and check yoru dam oil level. **** stop being so dam lazy. if you DONT have any oil in your engine it can be ****ed.

if there is oil in the engine your engine can still be ****ed. but we won't know anything until you eliminate some stuff first. there's so much stuff that can trigger that light.
not once did i say i was not willing to check the oil level, so im not sure how you can call me lazy. i posted here to find out what i should check.

Originally Posted by dias724
If you have been driving the car with that light on your engine is probably f***, when it came on u should of immediately stopped and check the oil level on the dipstick THIS IS AS BASIC AS IT GETS every man should know how to do this! Pop the hoop and take the stick out and look if its low... Dont Drive the car! Hope u still under warranty Good Luck

my last two cars were camry's and they were pretty much maintenance-less. I guess i never learned the basics.

Originally Posted by pinkii
Ok are you talking about the "Oil" light that takes up your whole little screen on your dash? or the tiny icon?

If its the bigger one they just forgot to reset the maintenance reminder. There are like 3 different types of maintenance reminders.... my mechanic sets it to 5000 miles so when it comes on (huge pic of oil thingy) I just take it in.

yes! thats the one. it took up the whole screen. i get oil changes pretty often so i had not ever seen that indicator before.. which is why it was alarming to me.

thanks for everyones help!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by iLoveMyG35x
my last two cars were camry's and they were pretty much maintenance-less. I guess i never learned the basics.
checking the oil is the same process whether you drive a kia or a porsche.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by Deepdiver
checking the oil is the same process whether you drive a kia or a porsche.
i realize that, but i never had the indicator for oil problems come on. I used to get oil changes every 3000 miles.. and the car probably didnt have any many sensors/reminders.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by iLoveMyG35x
i realize that, but i never had the indicator for oil problems come on. I used to get oil changes every 3000 miles.. and the car probably didnt have any many sensors/reminders.
Sorry you caught so much heat over the Check Engine Oil warning. Maybe now you'll realize who critical this is, had it happned to me I'd have shut my motor off and pulled to the curb. That warning can mean several things like they didn't put oil in you engine when they serviced your G or your engine just died and quite possibly in your case the sensor is fried....let us know.
Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Oil