G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clearance strip bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Clearance strip bulb replacement

So I just got some LED's that I want to install in the clearance strip on my 04 coupe. I do not have the projector headlights (will end up getting those later on) I have done a little bit of searching but can't really find the answer or pictures I am looking for.

I was wondering if there is a way to install those bulbs without having to remove the entire headlamp which includes taking the bumper off..

Old 07-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Nope. You have to remove the whole bumper. I know, its such a huge hassle to install such tiny bulb. I know I say the same thing also.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by develop1
Nope. You have to remove the whole bumper. I know, its such a huge hassle to install such tiny bulb. I know I say the same thing also.
What about this https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...hid-bulbs.html ?

I need to do the same. I got white leds that I need to put in. I will try to do it this weekend. I think there are screws under the bumper that you will have to jack up the car for anyways. I think I'm going to do it tomorrow night.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can reach it just under the fender liner. But is it just an led bulb or a led strip? Led strip you have to bake it and open it all up, I did it and it was totally worth it.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
there's a away.. jack your car and remove the tabs of the inner fender and you will have access. (that's how i did mine..)

Old 07-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by surma884
What about this https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...hid-bulbs.html ?

I need to do the same. I got white leds that I need to put in. I will try to do it this weekend. I think there are screws under the bumper that you will have to jack up the car for anyways. I think I'm going to do it tomorrow night.
I didn't know that this was possible. Is this true for all G35 models? Everytime I need to do headlight bulb work, I always take off the entire front bumper to get to the headlights. If I can do this instead, it'll save me much more time and physical labor. I have an '06 so I don't know if this applies to my car as well. Please advise.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by emorehs
there's a away.. jack your car and remove the tabs of the inner fender and you will have access. (that's how i did mine..)
Yeah

Old 07-16-2010, 11:28 AM
i didnt jack up my car. just turn the wheel all the way and remove the fender liner.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
what bulb sizes are the ones for the clearance strip? i forgot

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by develop1
I didn't know that this was possible. Is this true for all G35 models? Everytime I need to do headlight bulb work, I always take off the entire front bumper to get to the headlights. If I can do this instead, it'll save me much more time and physical labor. I have an '06 so I don't know if this applies to my car as well. Please advise.
Its not as easy with the '06 as it may be with the '03-'05 models. I just finished trying it to see if its true with my '06 and the fender covering is a lot harder to remove than it seems. There are a few screws and fasteners but the fender cover is also tucked in under the top section of the cover. Therefore, I think it will be faster for me to just remove the entire fender to get to the headlights.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:05 PM
Okay.. So I went ahead and tackled this project today and boy was it a project. I first went through the driver side fender and was able to get the bulb in but it wouldn't turn on because I had put in the wrong way. I flipped it around and as I did that I dropped the damn LED into the headlight assembly and boy did that make my job an hour and a half longer..

I then had to remove the front bumper and pull the headlight out and shake out the LED that I dropped in there. did the passenger side one and it worked like a charm. Put everything back together and they look great. Took me almost 3 hours in the hot 100 degree Texas heat so I had to take a few breaks haha.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Platelock
Okay.. So I went ahead and tackled this project today and boy was it a project. I first went through the driver side fender and was able to get the bulb in but it wouldn't turn on because I had put in the wrong way. I flipped it around and as I did that I dropped the damn LED into the headlight assembly and boy did that make my job an hour and a half longer..

I then had to remove the front bumper and pull the headlight out and shake out the LED that I dropped in there. did the passenger side one and it worked like a charm. Put everything back together and they look great. Took me almost 3 hours in the hot 100 degree Texas heat so I had to take a few breaks haha.
Can you post some pics? I'm thinking about doing the same thing on my '05 coupe

Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 AM
Yea for sure. I'll post some pics tomorrow night. I should get the LEDs I ordered from m-motorsports tomorrow for my license plate. I found a shop locally that sells them so I had to pick up some for my clearance strip

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was able to do this this weekend. YAY! The while led looks so much better than the yellow filament. I have to take a picture, but I can't find my camera. As soon as I find it I will post the pics.

I followed the DIY above. It is pretty simple. Mine was a bit of a mess. The fender is 2 separate pieces. One covers the front side of the tire and the other covers the back side of the tire. Where the 2 pieces meet in the middle they slightly overlap. On the driver side, the front fender was overlapping the rear fender so it was quick. I only had to pull down the front fender with a few push clips and a screw. On the passenger side the rear fender was overlapping the front. So I had to loosen the rear fender, and then the front fender. I then put the rear fender back up. I left the front down to work on the headlamp. Once that was done, I put the front fender overlapping the rear. This way if I need to get at it again, I don't have to do as much work.

You won't mess anything up by trying. The push pins and screws are easy to remove. The part where the screw is, you have to push the fender up (towards the sky) and the push it back (towards the engine). Then guide it down so the fender is resting on the tire. Then you have access to the back of the headlamp.

The bad part is I'm planning on getting the 06 projector headlamps, so I won't have the clearance strip. I'll just take the led bulb and put it in as the city light for the 06 headlamp.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this is a serious one bec. I always take off the entire front bumper to get to the headlights before. But then it requires new headlight bulb due to rapid use of the lights during night so better replace it too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clearance strip bulb replacement