G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

g-less until i figure out wth is going on..help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g-less until i figure out wth is going on..help please

So last night i was driving home..reversed parked into a stalled and i accidently shifted into tiptronic mode when i wanted to shift into drive to move up after reversing..then all of a sudden..my shift gets stuck in tiptronic mode. as of right now its parked outside..my keys are stuck inside of the ignition..its still in tiptronic mode..and wont move but will turn on.. does anyone know what could be the problem?
A friend of mine said that the transmission could be lock due to the accidental shift to tiptronic so quick or something idk..did the shift lock accidently go on?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Did you try and manually stab the little "shift lock" button to the right of the stick? That should do it for you?

Old 07-25-2010, 03:21 PM
okay so i was trying that..but i think the previous owner screwed that hole up...it looks damage but im not too sure..is there a key or something i stab it with? or anything flat screwdriver would do? cuz i was pushin a key in there to try and pop the lock

Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM
I think you are supposed to use your key.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM
okay like i said its stuck in manual shift mode..
when i try to move it over to drive it gets stuck halfway and on the gauge it says N but once it goes bak to manual mode, its blank

i've tried the shiftlock and i thought it was the fail save but i doubt it...

Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Gentle Manne of Leisure

Received 1,037 Likes on 610 Posts
Remove the shift **** and have a look at the stuff underneath.

Pull the bit under the top **** down and pull the c-pin out, the lift the shift **** up.
Then you can lift up the center trim around the shifter. You'll have easy access to the shift lock button and should be able to see if there's something blocking the lever itself.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:09 PM
ive done what you said wrath and i think the shiftlock is only for when the **** is stuck in park..

Old 07-25-2010, 06:12 PM
This sucks ***** dude. Is it safe for you to try and push the car forward or backwards a couple inches to see if that helps engage or disengage the problem? Mabye put some blocks a foot or so behind the tires to keep it from rolling too much.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Slimmer chance of it working, but it might be worth making sure the steering wheel lock is fully engaged. Not sure about the G but other cars will lock the ignition if it is not set. Just rock the the wheel back and forth around TDC and see if it is locked.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I GOT IT!!

this was the first time i actually done something mechanically to a car..so im pretty proud of myself for fixing something hahaha

anyways..so i got into some more information on another forum and it has happen to other people.

So in any case of someone else having this problem, heres the solution, its really easy actually

I have figured this out! I'll do my best to explain. It seems the shifter is stuck between Automatic and Manual. I recently helped someone on the side the road who was stuck and we were able to get the car going.

I believe you can either do this from the inside the car by disassembling the shifting panel or from underneath the car. If you don't have any tools, then underneath car would be best. The shifter or the device between the seats that you use to switch gears is attached to a metal arm directly underneath body of car. This metal arm goes into the transmission. If you can wiggle this metal arm you should be able to get your car unlocked from this stuck position. You can wiggle it from underneath the car or you can take off the entire paneling that your shifter is attached to.

If you take apart the paneling, you must first take off the handle of your shifter. You do this by pulling the plastic underneath the handle down then remove a brass looking pin from the plastic. Then you handle cover should slip right off. Then start pulling apart all the panels and compartments between your seats. You have disconnect about 5 electrical wires with those harness clips, then you unscrew the covers around your shifter. You even have move the seats all the up in order to get to some of the screws on the plastic covering. Once you get all that figured out, your shifter has 4 bolts in each corner that holds it the frame of your car. You must take these 4 10mm bolts off and then you should have access to the metal arm that goes into the transmission. Once you start wiggle this arm your shifter should unlock and now you have put everything back together. Have fun. :biggrin:

So after taking the shift **** and middle compartment off, unscrew these two screws that you see here..

then pop those circle caps on each side and unscrew those as well

once u unplug all the 5 wires remove the middle compartment and take the 10mm bolts off in the four corners you see here

once you do that..lift that whole piece up..and under it should be attach to a metal arm with rubber surroundings ..just wiggle it a little bit and press the shift **** down and shift it over to drive then park..and makesure it can shift up and down the whole area..once that happens put everything bak into place and ur good to go!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 AM
Wow. Glad to hear you are back on the road.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:17 AM
BTW which forum did you find that info?

Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 AM
nicoclub.com