G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Window Tint: What did you pay, What % & did you get pulled over ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window Tint: What did you pay, What % & did you get pulled over ?

Hey All,

I am planning to get my windows tinted, Wondering what I should pay and what % of tint to get, Am I going to get pulled over repeatedly ? What is the fine for going over the legal % in CA ?

My G is 05 Silver Coupe - Any suggestions on the tint ( some picture will be cool ) and any recommendations where to get it done in the Bay Area would be great.

Cheers!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I live in Southern Indiana so its different for us. I got 20% on my OB 06 Coupe. I paid $100.00, only because I know the guy personally who tinted it.

Now, in CA, can you tint the front glass? Or is it some stupid law saying 50%/35% (F/R) are legal limits?

Id post a pic but Im at work right now.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by beaditya
Hey All,

I am planning to get my windows tinted, Wondering what I should pay and what % of tint to get, Am I going to get pulled over repeatedly ? What is the fine for going over the legal % in CA ?

My G is 05 Silver Coupe - Any suggestions on the tint ( some picture will be cool ) and any recommendations where to get it done in the Bay Area would be great.

Cheers!
What you should pay...anywhere from $100 to $250, depending on how many windows you're getting done and the type of tint/film. ~$100 will get you dyed film for all 5 windows. $175+ will get you ceramic film. Dyed film is just tint, ceramic film will do a better job of keeping the heat out.

No tint is allowed on the driver or passenger front windows.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Ceramic film usually isnt used for automotive, one simple reason, you cant shrink it.

Most of your dyed films from reputable manufacturers (Global, SolorGard) are perfect for automotive tinting because you can shrink them and for the most part they lay good on the glass, but of course the final outcome depends on the tinter. The reliability of dyed films has improved within the last 10-15 years because of the new technology incorporated into making these films. Fading and cracking still are a problem but are usually caused by the individual and not the film. Only use tint safe products and soft cloths to clean. My dad uses dawn dish soap (just a drop) in a spray bottle and a microfiber rag, his car has been tinted for 9 years and still looks as good as it did the day my friend tinted it with good dyed film.

You also have metalized film out there too. These tend to have a sort of sheen or reflective property when you look at them. These are nice for a lot of uses and to even match cars like Lexus that have the reflective tint baked into the glass on the back. Again, the draw back of these films is the lack of shrink ability depending on the amount of metal they have in them.

I think in your area 150.00 to 175.00 should be the ballpark price for the back half of the car.

Oh, and if you go somewhere to get this done and they try to "up sale" you on the lifetime warranty product or the "better" film, make sure you ask to see the film and the boxes the samples are pulled from. A place that I use to work sold the regular stuff for 119.99 (whole car legal 35/20) and 179.99 for the "lifetime warranty" stuff. There was no difference in the film, just the sales pitch.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by That1GuyG35
Ceramic film usually isnt used for automotive, one simple reason, you cant shrink it.

Most of your dyed films from reputable manufacturers (Global, SolorGard) are perfect for automotive tinting because you can shrink them and for the most part they lay good on the glass, but of course the final outcome depends on the tinter. The reliability of dyed films has improved within the last 10-15 years because of the new technology incorporated into making these films. Fading and cracking still are a problem but are usually caused by the individual and not the film. Only use tint safe products and soft cloths to clean. My dad uses dawn dish soap (just a drop) in a spray bottle and a microfiber rag, his car has been tinted for 9 years and still looks as good as it did the day my friend tinted it with good dyed film.

You also have metalized film out there too. These tend to have a sort of sheen or reflective property when you look at them. These are nice for a lot of uses and to even match cars like Lexus that have the reflective tint baked into the glass on the back. Again, the draw back of these films is the lack of shrink ability depending on the amount of metal they have in them.

I think in your area 150.00 to 175.00 should be the ballpark price for the back half of the car.

Oh, and if you go somewhere to get this done and they try to "up sale" you on the lifetime warranty product or the "better" film, make sure you ask to see the film and the boxes the samples are pulled from. A place that I use to work sold the regular stuff for 119.99 (whole car legal 35/20) and 179.99 for the "lifetime warranty" stuff. There was no difference in the film, just the sales pitch.
Ceramic film is used all the time for automotive tint. At least here in SoCal.

It's been a few years since I've had my G tinted, but I believe I have Johnson Greystone, which is a dyed film IIRC. It's still holding up great.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I got 5% all around and 70% on my windshield... no probs so far..
They will mess with you, Depends on the officer/deputy that pulled you...

Honesty, almost anything you modify, they can mess with you. again, depends on the employee that pulled you..

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Calvin
Ceramic film is used all the time for automotive tint. At least here in SoCal.

It's been a few years since I've had my G tinted, but I believe I have Johnson Greystone, which is a dyed film IIRC. It's still holding up great.
Really? Wow, I remember the first time they brought that stuff around and we told them to take it back.

Johnson tint is good stuff!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by Sonny35
I got 5% all around and 70% on my windshield... no probs so far..
They will mess with you, Depends on the officer/deputy that pulled you...

Honesty, almost anything you modify, they can mess with you. again, depends on the employee that pulled you..
How do you like that combo? I have 70% on the windshield and 17% on the rest of the car. I think I should have gone 50% on the windshield.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM
i was told you shouldnt get dyed film if you have navigation?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check CA laws for window tint %s.

I used to work at a tint shop back in TN before the Air Force days. We sold only LLumar for automotive applications because they have a lifetime warranty with their films and are very high quality. People would end up paying $10 more coming to us, but the tint would last 10-12 years at least.

When you do end up getting your windows tinted, try looking for an official LLumar dealer. They guarantee 99.9% UV protection when most other companies can barely break 90 or 95%.

Never heard of ceramic tint for autos. We sold dyed and metallized. I've got Metallized LLumar ATR 55% windshield, 35% all around on my G. 55% windshield, 50% all around on the Z.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by Sammy23
i was told you shouldnt get dyed film if you have navigation?
You should get dyed or ceramic film. You should not get metallic film.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
doesnt dyedfilm begin to turn purple?

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
C,

I like the 5% all around.. but dislike the 70% like you.. I wanted to go 50% too, but Peter told me its going to be too dark with black interior and 5% others.

i'm going to get my windshield redone in a couple of months, 50%

Hey also, C, do you see the blurred lights from other cars?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before they passed the bill allowing front tints, cops here in IL were on a rampage handing out $250 fines, I paid $140 for the rear windows (5%) and after the bill passed, paid $40 for the front (35%).

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^They need that bill in California

BTW - good information in this thread

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Tint: What did you pay, What % & did you get pulled over ?