G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Exedy oem clutch + act flywheel combo issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Exedy oem clutch + act flywheel combo issue

I bought the Exedy clutch with the flywheel combo and had it installed at the dealership in mid June.

Then after driving it for a few days, there was a problem with my pedal. When there is traffic and when its hot, the clutch pedal would not come back up. Like it would have no pressure till half way down. Then I went back to the dealership and had them fix it. They told me that there was some air inside the value, so they released it and it was fine.

I have notice more chattering noise with this clutch. Is this normal? Like at idle I would hear a loud chatter, but when I engage the clutch, the chatter goes away. Also, one more problem is when I am in 3rd gear or 2nd and then I accelerate, I could hear this rattle/clicking noise and then it would go away after 2 or 3 seconds.

So now I have been driving for 2 months now with this new clutch and everything was fine till a week ago, when the clutch started to feel weird. So I took it back to the dealership and have them look at it. They did a few test. One was a road test, where he was in second gear and then all of a sudden floors it. He told me that the rpm was jumping a little bit as he was flooring it so the clutch might be slipping. But I told him, that's impossible because I didn't burn the clutch or drive real hard before the break-in period. And he said that it might just be because of the lighter flywheel.

Does anyone of you out there with this clutch combo that have this similar problem? Is this clutch combo suppose to be like this?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I have the exact same setup and the noise is a common sound. The stock flywheel is heavier and the act flywheel is lightweight. When it rotates it makes that clicking noise because there is more play. This itself is rather annoying but fine for the car. Look up aftermarket flywheel chatter for more specifics.

As far as the cluth have you tried adjusting the cable and height of the pedal for where it engages. Theres a diy on here for it also. I would attempt to do this before letting the dealership steal more money.

Lastly how do you drive and how many miles are on the clutch. Be honest either way as its not going to affect me. Did you break your clutch in for the recommended period or just goto town on it.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I HATE my flywheel chatter!! Bought the car with an aftermarket flywheel unknowingly. Anyone have a stock one laying around?? Or a nismo? I heard its one of the quietest

Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by FrozenInferno
Lastly how do you drive and how many miles are on the clutch. Be honest either way as its not going to affect me. Did you break your clutch in for the recommended period or just goto town on it.
To be honest with you, the dealership told me to not drive hard for couple of 100kms. So I did that, and I haven't really driven hard yet only maybe 2 times. Also, most of the time I am driving on highway(since I got the new clutch).

R u saying that I might screwed up the clutch because I didn't break my clutch in properly?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
People have solved that issue with a number of different fixes. New master cylinder, new slave cylinder, upgraded clutch line, or just bleeding the old dirty fluid.

If I may ask, did you have the oem clutch before you put in the new one? If so, how does the pedal feel and engagement differ with this new clutch?

Old 08-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by tEh d0ct0r
People have solved that issue with a number of different fixes. New master cylinder, new slave cylinder, upgraded clutch line, or just bleeding the old dirty fluid.

If I may ask, did you have the oem clutch before you put in the new one? If so, how does the pedal feel and engagement differ with this new clutch?
Yes, I had the OEM clutch before. The new clutch pedal feels softer but the engagement is similar.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I been running this exact same set up for a lil over a year(about 15k)and drive pretty hard most of the time,and a few canyon runs with no problems...I also added a ss line and have no issues...the stealership probably didn't install it correctly...

Old 08-16-2010, 03:40 AM
Originally Posted by SER-G35
I been running this exact same set up for a lil over a year(about 15k)and drive pretty hard most of the time,and a few canyon runs with no problems...I also added a ss line and have no issues...the stealership probably didn't install it correctly...
Oh, i c. But do you get this weird clicking/chattering noise when you accelerate from like 3rd or 4th gear? Also, from a stop in first gear, does your clutch feel weird. Like it feels like you can move the car with little gas.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by izzueeek
Oh, i c. But do you get this weird clicking/chattering noise when you accelerate from like 3rd or 4th gear? Also, from a stop in first gear, does your clutch feel weird. Like it feels like you can move the car with little gas.
Not at all,it feels normal with no chattering...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally Posted by izzueeek
When there is traffic and when its hot, the clutch pedal would not come back up. Like it would have no pressure till half way down.
I had this issue a couple days ago...

I flush the clutch fluid myself and tadaaaa, issue was gone at least until now.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Not at all,it feels normal with no chattering...
Also, I have notice when I am in first gear from start I can literally move the car just by releasing the clutch slowly without even gasing. Is that normal? Can you do that? Is it because of the lighter flywheel.

And as for the chattering noise when I accelerate, my buddy told me it might be the pilot bearing.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
chatter is normal.

clutch pedal stuck.. very common. as one posted above it can be from a couple sources.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP another question for you. Where did you get the exedy clutch and how much was it?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Did you notice a difference in performance/acceleration?

How is the clutch chatter compared to oem flywheel? I am considering this setup also since my clutch is about to go, and this seems like a good combo.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tEh d0ct0r
OP another question for you. Where did you get the exedy clutch and how much was it?
THmotorsport is selling the exedy clutch kit for 280$ I believe. They are also selling the clutch with the act flywheel as a combo for 625$. Its in the classified section.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exedy oem clutch + act flywheel combo issue