G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Snow tires: Blizzak LM22 or WS 50?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow tires: Blizzak LM22 or WS 50?

I called Tire Rack last night to inquire about snow tires and I assumed I'd get the LM 22s. However the guy at Tire Rack suggested the WS 50s. He said they're a bit cheaper and better in the snow (but you lose a bit of performance). Does anyone use the Blizzak WS 50s? If so, can I get some feedback? Also, with whatever tires I get, do you suggest I get the wheels (in addition to the tires) or just the tires? Thanks!

Old 10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Banned
Re: Snow tires: Blizzak LM22 or WS 50?

I have the Blizzak LM22's. They perform excellent on snow and otherwise.

NY G SQUAD<font color=red>&lt;---Official Website

Old 10-14-2004, 03:04 PM

I ran the LM 22s last winter and will again this year. I thought that the snow perfomance was great. Never got stuck once and I drove a few times that I definitely could have. They handle the snow great. In addition they are decent performance tires when the roads are dry and wet. I never ran the WS 50s so I really cant compare. I run the stock size LM 22s on my stock 18"s. It costs me less then $100 to swap them which is cheaper then buying new wheels for me.

G35 Coupe 6MT w/ PP & Aero
DG w/ Graphite Leather

Old 10-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

They perform quite well but in differ ways. The WS-50 is the more aggressive version. They would be the best tires for the worst conditions. You will trade some wear and handling for better snow and ice traction. Works well in rural or harsher environments.

The LM-22 (soon to be replaced with the LM-25) is the more performance based winter tire. Designed for more plowed roads or highways where you still need great snow/ice traction, but want to retain some handling characteristics. Works well in urban or suburb areas. They will handle a wear a bit better than the WS-50, but you will trade some harsher condition traction for it.

*might have been me you talked to *

2003 BLK/BLK 6MT Injen, clear corners, Eibach sways and springs, tint
My G on a photo shoot. More to come!

Old 10-14-2004, 04:09 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used the WS-50's on my G-Sedan with great results.
Many up here in Canada have the LM-22's and are happy with them too.
C.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 10-14-2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. So is it worth buying the wheels too?

Old 10-14-2004, 06:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man...I'm glad I live in the South!

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 10-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The WS-50s are a little better in deeper snow and have a little better traction in ice. The thing I don't like is their dry road handling. They tend to feel a bit 'squirrely' on dry roads, especially in corners and across metal bridge decks, etc.

Separate wheels are always a good idea to reduce change-over costs, and tire bead stress.

<font color=blue>[i]GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=blue>

Old 10-14-2004, 10:57 PM
To the topic poster:

Funny, the TireRack guy I was talking with told me without a doubt to get the LM-22s. lol. Anyway, I bought my winter wheels and tires and am anticipating swapping them on tomorrow night. Will update when swap is done.

Regards.

Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 PM

i bought the WS50's last winter, and we had major snowfall here in NY. 6'' of unplowed snow was no problem at all. 50 mph on the highway during a snowstorm, no problem if you drove conservatively (not jerking the wheel suddenly). don't get me wrong, at that speed i was able to determine that the back will still slide out on you. if you misbehave, you'll definitely get slapped in the face. the car does feel really squirrely on dry pavement, and dry road performance...lets just say that phrase is nonexistent in regards to this tire. although i have not tried the other tires to compare, i was very satisfied with these tires. i opted to go with the 17'' wheel and tire package, since i didnt wanna ruin the stock rims with all the salt and sand they put out. another thing to consider is that you will have to get the tires mounted and balanced twice a year. this means twice a year you have to worry about some anus tearing up your rims when they mount the tires onto it (most tire places i.e. Mavis will not assume liability for these things, one of the fools there chipped my caliper and they insisted it was not their fault and would not do anything about it). also, thats about $100 per year for mounting and balancing the tires onto the stock rims. so you figure 2 maybe 3 seasons at most with these tires, you are up to $300 just in mounting and balancing fees alone. then there's the hassle of going to get this done. with the wheel and tire package, you have a dedicated set of rims for the winter, so all you have to do is switch the rims off yourself twice a year for free.those are just a few things to consider. also consider if you want an all around tire like the LM's so you can still drive more spirited on dry roads or just negotiating a snowstorm is your goal. since i have to go work no matter wat the weather conditions (hospitals never close unless they go broke, lol), i needed all the snow traction i could get. good luck in your decision, either way you should be happy.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra/19x9.5(f)19x10.5(r) Volk SF Winnings/BFGoodrich 245/35(f)275/30(r)/Tein Flex Coilovers/Tein EDFC
Sponsored by BFGoodrich, Ai Design (www.aidesign.com)

Old 10-15-2004, 10:18 AM

Thanks to all of you for your feedback. I think I am going to go with the LM 22s (with wheels)...You've all been VERY helpful!

Old 10-15-2004, 11:35 AM

zach0917,

I too am going to be getting Blizzaks. But instead of going with winter wheels, I am going to make my stock 17's the winter wheels. Then next spring I am going to find some used coupe 18's to throw on. Just an idea...

g4ian

365953-G35 MINI.jpg

Old 10-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Re: To the topic poster:

I just got the LM22's as well (on 17"ASA KA3's) for my 6MT. It's only October though. Why are you swapping already? You live in Fargo, Juneau or what?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow tires: Blizzak LM22 or WS 50?