G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Why a sunroof with Aero package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why a sunroof with Aero package

I am looking to get a G35 6mt, the only options i want are the aero package minus the wing(i know i will have to work somthing out with the dealer on this one) and also the power moonroof.

Can anybody explain the logic in only offering a aero package with a moonroof? I mean, its an extra 1000bucks and i dont want it. It has nothing to do with aerodynamics so why have it mandatory?

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-13-2003, 11:34 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Re: Why a sunroof with Aero package

hey dan, i hear ya man...i decided to go without the aero package because it included the sunroof... its all a way to maximize efficiency in the factory i guess... and getting the buyer to pay more for stuff [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Just go without it man..... im sure they will offer the bolt-on diffusers later on some time.....i've actually seen it on costcoauto.com...

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-14-2003, 07:56 AM
VNT

sure it does....when you open it...you increase the drag coefficient, and create more zones of turbulence.

AS why the sunroof included? Probably the bean counters or marketing people.

Old 04-14-2003, 12:34 PM

I wanted a G35C 6MT Aero w/o the sunroof as well. As a result I had to order mine. If you don't mind the 3-4 month wait you might have to consider ordering as an option to get what you want.

BTW, I don't understand why a sunroof is included with the aero package either. There is no rhyme or reason, except another way to make money.

Good luck on your search!

Old 04-14-2003, 05:53 PM

Guys,
The sunroof is NOT part of the Aero Package ($550.00 MSRP). It's part of the Premium Package ($2,000.00 MSRP).

Further, why on earth would you want the Aero Package minus the spoiler? $550.00 for underbody air diffusers that won't work the way they're supposed to without the spoiler? it makes no sense.

The spoiler has a purpose, and is absolutely functional. If you don't want it, you don't want the Aero Package. It's as simple as that. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what the %&#@ they're talking about.

Edit to add: The reason you can't find a Coupe with Aero and without a sunroof is because the factory doesn't ship spec cars that way. They only put Aero on cars with the Premium Package, unless ordered specifically otherwise - which means a 3 - 6 month wait. In other words, you want Aero, you're getting the Premium too - but it's not just the sunroof, there's a lot of other goodies that go with it, like the upgraded stereo, etc. Well worth the money, IMHO. Keep in mind that yes, a sunroof (when open) will increase turbulence, but there's a lot more to driving these cars than just racing, ya know... sunroofs are nice, and make no difference in performance when closed.

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 04-14-2003, 06:27 PM

First off, the under air diffusers will still function, without the spoiler there will just be a slight decrease in downforce.

Second off, i dont want the Bose system because it is a pain to remove it when i install better aftermarket components.

and untill you tell me exactly how removing the spoiler will not allow the under air diffusers to not function, i will not be getting the factory spoiler, I am an engineer and i do know fluid mechanics, i am not an expert in that feild but i know enough to realize there is more than one way to create downforce. I agree that not getting the factory spoiler will reduce downforce, however, it can be made up more with aftermarket modified underbody diffusers.

I plan on making my G much lighter than stock and adding a sunroof is unneccary to me. And also, this car will be for racing (at least when i am done) and that is my main criteria.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible to forego the Aero package altogether and purchase the diffusers separately and install them yourself. I think gsedanman did this.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-14-2003, 06:45 PM

I think this is what i am going to do.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-14-2003, 06:57 PM

DanO wrote:
"and untill you tell me exactly how removing the spoiler will not allow the under air diffusers to not function, i will not be getting the factory spoiler, I am an engineer and i do know fluid mechanics, i am not an expert in that feild but i know enough to realize there is more than one way to create downforce. I agree that not getting the factory spoiler will reduce downforce, however, it can be made up more with aftermarket modified underbody diffusers."

DanO, I don't mean to be argumentative, but you're not making a helluva lotta sense here.

You don't want the Premium Pack, fine. You don't want the Aero Pack, also fine.

But it begs a few questions:
If you're going to go with aftermarket underbody air diffusers, why the heck do you want the factory one?

If the car is going to be for racing, why are you going to bother installing "better" aftermarket stereo equipment? Why have a radio at all?

Finally, all I said was that the spoiler and the UAD work together. It isn't even advertised as increasing downforce - it's advertised as "eliminating lift". AFAIK, they're two different things. I'm not an engineer, but at least I have enough common sense to know that if I don't want something on a car, I simply don't order it that way...

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zero lift is just the level of downforce. The back end of the car isn't being pushed down, it's just not getting floaty at high speed, either.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-14-2003, 08:02 PM

Sorry if i am not being clear,

I will put an aftermarket head unit in and also some speakers, it will not add weight beyond the stock setup. It is boring to ride in a car with no radio.

I was not being argumentative either, i just was stating my thoughts.

As for the stock underbody diffusers, i want a piece to start modifying, It was designed for the car and since there are mostlikely not going to be any aftermarket kits for a long while, i will have to modify the stock piece and add to it.

and you may be right, i may figure out that i dont want the stock piece anyway, but i want to try with it first.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation

Old 04-16-2003, 05:21 AM
Weight loss?

Hey DanO, what sorts of things are you planning to do to save weight? The excessive weight of the G35 is really something that's bugging me, and pushing me towards a 350Z. I'm with you on the sunroof. I don't need it, don't want to pay for it, and it just adds weight and reduces head room for us tall folks with helmets.

But seriously, removing weight can be a major bummer on nice cars like the G35. If you want the car to still look good on the inside, you can rip out all the sound proofing behind panels and under the carpet, and that should be a significant weight savings, but now you're talking some serious noise increases in the cabin. To go beyond that you're pretty much talking ripping out the carpet, cosmetic panels, etc, and leaving yourself with a bare interior. At that point you're pretty much making a dedicated racer and getting rid of all the luxury properties of the G35. If that's what you're after, why not get a 350Z to start with? It's lighter to start with, shorter wheelbase, and has a standard DIN headunit slot to make installing an aftermarket headunit much, much easier.