G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Does A/T Really have more TORQUE than M/T??????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jairen
Kinda pointless.

Like I said, different dyno's on different days can't be compared. The only way a dyno database can be used is if we got a bunch of people together and did dyno's on the same day on the same dyno with similar mods.

Once again, dyno's readings differ from dyno type such as DynoJet, Dyno Dynamics, Dynapack, etc along with weather differences and dyno conditions such as fan or no fan, etc.
they can be compared for power curves and averages to get a general idea, u just cant be like the people in clubrsx and say oh my car is faster because my peak hp number is slighter higher then yours

i mean you can tell that the rev up makes more power then the non rev up by comparing dynos from different days. you just cant compare dynojet to dynapack to mustang etc

Old 10-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust
they can be compared for power curves and averages to get a general idea, u just cant be like the people in clubrsx and say oh my car is faster because my peak hp number is slighter higher then yours

i mean you can tell that the rev up makes more power then the non rev up by comparing dynos from different days. you just cant compare dynojet to dynapack to mustang etc
That's it. A "general" idea. NOTHING conclusive regardless of what type of correction factors they use. The same type of dyno, can even produce a significant difference. When looking at dyno's, you have to compare it to something since it is a "tuning" tool. The most accurate comparison would be that same day dyno. As for power curves, we all know where the VQ makes power and where it drops off. Billy-Ray in West Virgina can dyno at 240 on a DJ and Hector in SoCal can dyno at 260 on the same type of dyno with the same exact mods. How would you compare those two dyno's?

How am I being like the people on an Acura board? I posted my dyno compared to someone who dynoed the same day, same dyno, same tuner, same computer, same fan, etc to compare tq numbers of the entire band as per topic.
I compare the ENTIRE powerband in tq and hp and not just peak numbers or just hp alone which is why I mentioned in an earlier post (go back and check) about how I mentioned where the shifts land in the powerband. I care about tq too.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 PM
u cant just compare 2, but if you get 10 stock dynos that are on average 20whp higher then 10 stock dynos of something else you can probably conclude that car A. bit more power then car B.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM
u cant just compare 2, but if you get 10 stock dynos that are on average 20whp higher then 10 stock dynos of something else you can probably conclude that car A. bit more power then car B.
A difference in +-20whp would still be way to inconsistent. An average of 20 whp between 10 dyno's means that the numbers fluctuate +- way too much. Where's all my match whizzes at?

If your solely comparing peak numbers, you MAY get away with it, but when looking at the entire powerband, you'd have to average each RPM range (2000, 2100, 2200, 2300, 2400, etc, to redline and everything in between) to get an average. A 20 whp (average) is a very significant difference. A difference a 20 whp peak can mean differences in 20+- in the rest of the powerband. To top it off, not all dyno shops take the car all the way to 7k rpm's. Then try overlaying different dyno shops' dyno's to match the same scale. Way too much margin of error to compare imho. What correction factors? STD, SAE, etc.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:57 PM
you are being way to precise about this. I'm sure if we look at enough dynos we can tell whether rev ups or non rev ups have better torque curves and peak torque. There just are not enough stock dynos to look at.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 AM
you are being way to precise about this. I'm sure if we look at enough dynos we can tell whether rev ups or non rev ups have better torque curves and peak torque. There just are not enough stock dynos to look at.
Of course I'm being precise. A dyno is a tuning tool.

This has been a GREAT discussion! I love this stuff! Something different to talk about instead of flush wheels, body kits and stickers which is all people care about nowadays.

Topics like this would get way more attention on my350z.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:28 AM
yeah, it is good to have a discussion that doesnt revolve around wheel size or how ghey hondas are.

but yeah idk i guess we need to have a non rev up vs rev up dyno show down or track day..lol

Old 10-20-2010, 12:32 AM

but yeah idk i guess we need to have a non rev up vs rev up dyno show down or track day..lol
I have a few of those in my videos. Link below. We all go twice a month at minimum.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:44 AM
that was a pretty bad raping the non rev up took...is that typical?...doesnt seem like it from the other times ive seen on here

Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Jairen beats me on the track all the time (unless he misses a gear) and I beat some 6MT G/Z's as well. Other factors then just the engine certainly have a significant role. Stock for stock and depending on the years, the manual will be the faster of the two.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:59 AM
that was a pretty bad raping the non rev up took...is that typical?...doesnt seem like it from the other times ive seen on here
In our own personal experience at the track, racing different VQ's from revup and non revup VQ's, modded, tuned, you name it, is that the revup really starts to pull at 3rd gear. It also has a significant difference in trap speed. In the 1/8th, the revup and non revup with equal mods equals to about 2-4 difference in trap speed in favor of the revup. In the 1/8th, I trap at 79-81, where a buddy of mine who used to go alot before herrshaft started to go with a lighter and similiar modded non revup 6MT Z would trap around 78-79 with about .1-.2 slower e.t with 2.1 60ft's. We've switched cars and had same results. Hard to believe, but we've all agreed on the situation. I thought it wouldn't be much of a difference according to the boards, but I have actual slips from multiple runs. Also, most people don't race at our track. Most people only get 3-5 runs at different tracks. At our track, we can run up to 50+ times in one night IF we wanted to and not have to wait in the staging lanes.

The biggest factor is the driver, no matter if it's a revup or non revup, auto or 6MT, the driver is always the biggest factor.

Herrs, how the f***** desert! Hows the TT kit coming along?

Old 10-20-2010, 01:04 AM
i guess i gotta get to the track one of these days and see

Old 10-20-2010, 01:06 AM
Herrs, how the f***** desert! Hows the TT kit coming along?
The desert sucks as usual. The shop is in the process of rebuilding the block. My car is kind of on the back burner since the deadline is still 5 months away.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
The desert sucks as usual. The shop is in the process of rebuilding the block. My car is kind of on the back burner since the deadline is still 5 months away.
Sounds good. It should be fun as hell.

Found out, I won't be able to leave until Feb. I was hoping to leave sooner to get it over with. Hold down the track while I'm gone. They'll think your me since they're so used to seeing my car there.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:30 AM
They'll think your me since they're so used to seeing my car there.
Does that meen free admission....

Sucks that your leaving that late, now your going to be stuck out here during the middle of summer.

I'll definitely be hitting the tracks alot, and will continue trying to get some SDG to show up.