G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Where's my power?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Motordyne exhaust with ART pipes and tune! Youll like it.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
Your engine is producing 20% less power than it would if you lived in Florida. The only real cure for altitude sickness is to either move to a lower altitude or compensate with forced induction.
Not in the winter it isn't.... I bet the cold temperatures in Colorado right now in comparison to Florida sorta balance out the fact that Colorado is so much above sea level.

He's still probably got less power than a car running in warm weather at sea level, but I highly doubt it's anywhere near 20%... probably more like 2 or 3% given the fact that it's probably at least a good 40 to 60 degrees cooler there now than it is in Florida on most days.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by g35sweetness; 11-11-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
If you don't feel your car is fast. Pull up next to a Prius and floor it. Slow down, wait a couple minutes, then watch the Prius slowly pass by, then floor it again!

The power is there, the car is just too comfortable to let you feel all of it.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by chrcarlo
If you don't feel your car is fast. Pull up next to a Prius and floor it. Slow down, wait a couple minutes, then watch the Prius slowly pass by, then floor it again!

The power is there, the car is just too comfortable to let you feel all of it.
Making fun of the anti-fun, I love it

Weight is also a little bit of a issue. Regardless I love my coupe!!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
If I had my G35 again, I probably wouldn't trade it for an Evo. You pretty much give up all of your luxury and other nice features for mere speed. Put it this way, speed is something you would rarely use (unless you're a full out track car). But all of those features on the G35 is someone you would use everytime you're in the car.

So don't worry if you don't have the fastest car in the world. All the girls that I give rides to in my car almost always complain that its way too loud. Most girls like to ride in silence. Not to mention luxury.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
Not in the winter it isn't.... I bet the cold temperatures in Colorado right now in comparison to Florida sorta balance out the fact that Colorado is so much above sea level.

He's still probably got less power than a car running in warm weather at sea level, but I highly doubt it's anywhere near 20%... probably more like 2 or 3% given the fact that it's probably at least a good 40 to 60 degrees cooler there now than it is in Florida on most days.
Very well. I should have used Northern lower Michigan instead of Florida for my comparison. It is true that temperature, as well as humidity, plays a role in how dense air is.

A stock g35 5000 feet above sea level will produce roughly 20% less power than a stock g35 at sea level...given equal temperatures.

Since our engines consume roughly 14 parts of air for every part of fuel, and there's less air available in a given volume at 5,000 feet than at sea level, no tune is going to fix the fundamental problem. The mass airflow sensor is already compensating for the lack of air density.

Forced induction is the only direct solution to the fundamental problems presented by lower air density. Forced induction is the only thing that can make the air the engine is consuming more dense.

Looks like 2.5 p.s.i. of boost would make my g35 produce the same amount of power in Denver as it would at sea level - given equal temperature and humidity levels.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Old 11-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well. I should have used Northern lower Michigan instead of Florida for my comparison. It is true that temperature, as well as humidity, plays a role in how dense air is.

A stock g35 5000 feet above sea level will produce roughly 20% less power than a stock g35 at sea level...given equal temperatures.

Since our engines consume roughly 14 parts of air for every part of fuel, and there's less air available in a given volume at 5,000 feet than at sea level, no tune is going to fix the fundamental problem. The mass airflow sensor is already compensating for the lack of air density.

Forced induction is the only direct solution to the fundamental problems presented by lower air density. Forced induction is the only thing that can make the air the engine is consuming more dense.

Looks like 2.5 p.s.i. of boost would make my g35 produce the same amount of power in Denver as it would at sea level - given equal temperature and humidity levels.

Thank you for this quote! The day I lost to a stock cobalt SS supercharged was the day I relized how much altitude affects my car! And it SUCKS! FI car loss way less power than an NA car!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by atrudeau
Thank you for this quote! The day I lost to a stock cobalt SS supercharged was the day I relized how much altitude affects my car! And it SUCKS! FI car loss way less power than an NA car!
I am glad you found some value in my post. As I wrote in the thread I directed you to I have a substantial amount of experience with both normally aspirated and turbocharged engines at various altitudes and temperatures. I also have the benefit of being able to change altitudes very quickly to easily see the effect air pressure has on available power. That's not so easy to do in a car unless one has a mountain with good roads nearby.

Here's something else to consider. Since at 5000 feet you're already giving up roughly 3 p.s.i. over what you'd have at sea level, if/when you go forced induction your first 3 p.s.i. of boost are effectively "free" from an engine stress/reliability standpoint.

In other words, you should be able to run say 8 p.s.i. of boost just as safely as someone at sea level running 5 p.s.i. - because you're both running a net boost increase of 5 p.s.i. beyond what the stock engine is engineered for.

Hope that makes sense.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if yours is a 05 6mt then you will have the revup with 3.7 gears and lsd wouldnt you...providing you have the sport package.

correct me if in wrong.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Correct, except you'll have 3.5 gears, not 3.7.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

In other words, you should be able to run say 8 p.s.i. of boost just as safely as someone at sea level running 5 p.s.i. - because you're both running a net boost increase of 5 p.s.i. beyond what the stock engine is engineered for.

Hope that makes sense.
This is not true. 8psi is 8psi, and 5psi is 5psi. The internal pressure of a turbo charger is independent of the outside air pressure. If the boost gauge reads 8psi, then the turbo is just working a bit harder to make that 8psi at 5000 feet than it would be at sea level.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
Correct, except you'll have 3.5 gears, not 3.7.
Any idea how much gears would improve 1/4mile times? or 0-60?

Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I'm afraid I don't remember off the top of my head, but the answer is somewhere in this thread.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...tial-swap.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Where's my power?