G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I get a manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys after reading all the replies, I decided I'm going with a manual. I love driving, and every man should know how to drive a manual. I'm getting an 07 with 60 k miles. Hopefully the clutch is good. Thanks again guys

Old 12-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
Sorta like asking someone on the Internet whether you should date a blonde or a brunette....

Its YOUR car, get what YOU WANT, not what a bunch of people online who you've never met told you.....

Old 12-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
^^wouldn't that be the day when people can makeup their minds themselves?

Old 12-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by eurodre
^^wouldn't that be the day when people can makeup their minds themselves?
I think they were looking for input, and advice, not someone to make up their mind. I tried to provide input that would help them make an EDUCATED decision, rather than one they may regret later. Sure, the OP could have just gone out and bought a stick, then found it wasn't what they wanted because they just don't like driving a stick, or stop/go traffic was just too much work. If they did that they would get skewered for spending so much money and not knowing it wasn't what they want because they didn't ask/research.

I can see your point about choosing a 'color' but again, there are valid reasons for not buying a certain color. e.g. black shows all the dirt and dust, but white doesn't show your efforts as much if you do the full detail. Not knowing that could cause issues if you have a black car that you have to park outside under a tree all the time.

I believe, with few exceptions, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask. YMMV

The OP asked for input, not someone to make the decision for them. It takes guts to ask something like that in a public forum.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
"Hello I'm about to get a g35, should I get an auto or 6spd manual?"

sounds like he was looking for a yes or no

Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Shogun021
Hello I'm about to get a g35, should I get an auto or 6spd manual? I know the 6mt is much quicker. But I don't know how to drive manual:/. Is it easy to learn? I live in orange county somewhat traffic .
Actually, the entire quote puts it more into perspective. He's aware of some performance impact, and is concerned about heavy traffic. Also states he doesn't know how to drive a stick.

Also, I'm not sure how you can answer a multiple choice question with 'yes' or 'no'.

Here's how I read it.
"I'm looking into getting a G35, but am not sure if I want an automatic or manual transmission. I live in OC, and there is often traffic. I don't know how to drive a manual transmission, and would like some pros/cons to a stick vs. automatic, and would like to know if it is difficult to learn to drive a manual, especially on the G35."

reading the entire OP often gives a better idea of what is being asked.

So, valid/helpful answers would be...
It can get frustrating/tiresome in traffic to drive a manual. Learning how to drive a manual is not very hard, in fact it's what most of the 'rest' of the world learns to drive first. The clutch on a G35 is not cheap to replace, so you would be well-served to learn on a different car(e.g. OLD VW bug). The manual is virtually impossible to drive if you are missing full use of one of your limbs.

Well, for me i have auto, and that's because i was always in traffic coming form SD to LA. I hate traffic. But now that i live in LA kind of wish i had manual. I am not on the free as much. Learning to drive manual will be fun to learn and then you'll just want a manual. I say go with the manual.
(sharing a real life experience. Lives in similar area, and wishes he had manual)

Try learning to drive a manual transmission before you make your decision. Driving a manual just isn't for everyone. I would be pretty unhappy in an automatic, but that doesn't mean you will be too, so don't shell out a crap load of cash before you know for sure. Good luck either way though, post pics when you get one.
(personal experience and input)

Not helpful answers include:
if you have to ask get auto
(obviously not an answer to the entire OP, or at least not helpful)

Its YOUR car, get what YOU WANT, not what a bunch of people online who you've never met told you.....
(he's not sure he knows what he wants, thus the post seeking more info/knowledge) Though I agree, to not let other people convince you that you 'need' to have stick. It's not for everyone.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
A manual isn't fun in stop and go traffic? Is an automatic fun in stop in go traffic? LOL

There is no difference really. The difference is we step on the clutch and you step on the brakes during traffic. We also get to rest in neutral. While ur still holding on the brakes.

Those at actually know how to drive a stick aren't really thinking about shifting in traffic. It's just "automatic to us". Driving a stick is more fun. Even in traffic.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
A manual isn't fun in stop and go traffic? Is an automatic fun in stop in go traffic? LOL

There is no difference really. The difference is we step on the clutch and you step on the brakes during traffic. We also get to rest in neutral. While ur still holding on the brakes.

Those at actually know how to drive a stick aren't really thinking about shifting in traffic. It's just "automatic to us". Driving a stick is more fun. Even in traffic.
I think there is a big difference IMO. Auto cars move forward by themselves once you release the brake. Manual has to be give gas and release of clutch. Might sound simple but in "stop and go traffic" its a real pain. Lets not forget that some of us have upgraded clutches that puts a strain on the calf in stop and go traffic. So if I lived in an area where I had to drive in that every day I would go with Auto over Manual.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I never had any "strain" in stop in go traffic when driving a manual. I did however get them when I drove an automatic. I think my left leg fell asleep. Don't remember. I drive in stop in go traffic all the time. (Newport Beach freeway) 55n/55s and have no problems. It actually helps wake me up early in the morning while driving..

Im in the OC too. No problems with it so far. Get a manual, you won't regret it. Case in point, there are more people who regret buying an Auto than there is people who regret buying a Manual. There ZERO "how to change your manual to an auto thread".

There are several how to change an auto to a manual thread.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by P-JDM
I think there is a big difference IMO. Auto cars move forward by themselves once you release the brake. Manual has to be give gas and release of clutch. Might sound simple but in "stop and go traffic" its a real pain. Lets not forget that some of us have upgraded clutches that puts a strain on the calf in stop and go traffic. So if I lived in an area where I had to drive in that every day I would go with Auto over Manual.
This is one of the reasons why manual transmissions aren't always great to have. I agree that it becomes second nature, but there sure are times when I would wish I could just let off the brake pedal to move forward in stop/go traffic. It's true it becomes second nature to the point where you don't really think about it anymore, but I have had times when I sure didn't want to have to muck with the clutch. Definitely not enough to make me not buy a stick though. I bought an auto for other reasons(can't drive a manual very well without all four limbs at or close to 100%).

There are benefits. Cost of a new transmission is among them. A clutch may go bad, and have to be replaced, but it's VERY rare to find a manual transmission that needs to be replaced that wasn't abused. Manual tend to get slightly better gas mileage. Driving a stick gives you a lot more control of gearing which should translate into better control of the car.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by eurodre
"Hello I'm about to get a g35, should I get an auto or 6spd manual?"

sounds like he was looking for a yes or no
its not that black & white
was he supposed to write damn a term paper?
lol cracks me up to see people put up a front with their keyboards, its a car enthusiast community, let's jst help the poor noobs instead of trollin

Old 12-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Law to the Rence
lol cracks me up to see people put up a front with their keyboards, its a car enthusiast community, let's jst help the poor noobs instead of trollin
I'm new to the board as well. I expect to be asking questions as well. I hope I don't get slammed for asking them. If I do I'll leave.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the biggest reasons I sold my g was b/c it was auto and I was just craving the manual driving experience . Unless you 100% want an auto, get a 6MT

Old 12-27-2010, 05:02 PM
chances are if this is going to be your first manual car, you will probably wear out the clutch prematurely. it is not the end of the world, and this happens to just about everyone when they are learning. it is just part of the learning experience in my opinion

Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Have fun w/ the manual! It will only take you like a day to get it down. Good luck man.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get a manual or auto?