G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I get a manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Law to the Rence
its not that black & white
was he supposed to write damn a term paper?
lol cracks me up to see people put up a front with their keyboards, its a car enthusiast community, let's jst help the poor noobs instead of trollin

at the end of the day the point of the thread is useless because you will get people who say oh get auto driving stick is annoying in traffic and then some will say get stick cus its fun, all complete opinions which are based on their level of passion and need for the car so thus I said if he has to ask then get auto
that wasn't trolling and if you get your head out of your *** you would notice it because who are any of us to tell him GET STICK or GET AUTO? we don't know what he wants but when it comes down to it more often than not those who get 6mt have WANTED 6mt based on their own inclinations

Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eurodre
at the end of the day the point of the thread is useless because you will get people who say oh get auto driving stick is annoying in traffic and then some will say get stick cus its fun, all complete opinions which are based on their level of passion and need for the car so thus I said if he has to ask then get auto
that wasn't trolling and if you get your head out of your *** you would notice it because who are any of us to tell him GET STICK or GET AUTO? we don't know what he wants but when it comes down to it more often than not those who get 6mt have WANTED 6mt based on their own inclinations
I can understand that this is probably a subject that gets a lot of mention. The end of your post had some useful information, but it was lost because you think this is a useless thread(yet you are posting).

"when it comes down to it more often than not those who get 6mt have WANTED 6mt based on their own inclinations"
The point is here that he's trying to understand why others made this choice. Perhaps it's not the same reasons, but perhaps he can learn from their experiences.

Perhaps explain why you chose a manual over an auto, or vice versa. Perhaps mention pluses or minuses you've found for each.

Again, I understood he had done some research, and understood some of the differences, but wanted some input(not a decision to be made for him).

I've provided some help, yet others want to call him an idiot for asking opinion or input. Others have been supportive, and wished him luck.

Had he heard that the clutch will shatter into a million pieces if you don't drive it perfectly, or been told that the clutch is so heavy that you'll be aching in pain after an hour in traffic, or been told that X transmission is known to experience this issue... etc.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I just want to be able to use this forum without fear of getting slammed for asking an opinion or the occasional stupid question. If you've been on the forum and seen these a million times, move along rather than give 'insulting' answers that offer no value.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
i hope you bill him for the time spent defending him as his lawyer

Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
I dont think Ive EVER wished I had an automatic while sitting in traffic..... to me theyre boring as he11. I wanna rip thru the gears, not put it in D and just steer

Ive had many automatics and many manuals. I told myself the only way Id ever buy an automatic again is if the car isnt offered from the factory with a manual.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I really don't see the problem with driving stick in traffic, i've done it a million times and it never bothered me but like I said that's because I wanted enough that I was able to get over that common insecurity and just have fun driving the car

OP hope this thread has been educational for you as there will be ups and downs to driving stick and if at the end of the day if you "hate driving stick in traffic" then I told you so, if not then enjoy it, it's fun

there you go nice and supporting aww how nice

Old 12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Manual all day. I cant imagine driving an auto G, something about down shifting and red lining out of a corner! I like the mechanical driving experience.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by eurodre
I really don't see the problem with driving stick in traffic, i've done it a million times and it never bothered me but like I said that's because I wanted enough that I was able to get over that common insecurity and just have fun driving the car

OP hope this thread has been educational for you as there will be ups and downs to driving stick and if at the end of the day if you "hate driving stick in traffic" then I told you so, if not then enjoy it, it's fun

there you go nice and supporting aww how nice
I'm so PROUD!!! After 11,000+ posts it only took a few people to tell you how inappropriate your responses were.

Don't forget the jab where I've apparently been trained and licensed as an attorney. I sure hope I'm one of the 1%er's that don't give the rest a bad name.

I thought people were on this board to be helpful and share something we have in common. If it's a huge pissing match perhaps I found the wrong forum for me.

Last edited by newtome07; 12-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I was stuck with this decision about 5 months ago. i was scared i wasnt gonna learn in time or i wasnt going to enjoy it. but i found a nice manual one and i never looked back. i feel like ive wasted my time driving auto for the past three years. Manual all the way buddy! no question about it!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
on the real dre, what i'm trying to say is stop actin so hard with your keyboard, would you talk so much crap to someone in their face? you seriously needa get checked

11,xxx posts of straight bullsh*t, get over yourself

Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
A manual isn't fun in stop and go traffic? Is an automatic fun in stop in go traffic? LOL

There is no difference really. The difference is we step on the clutch and you step on the brakes during traffic. We also get to rest in neutral. While ur still holding on the brakes.

Those at actually know how to drive a stick aren't really thinking about shifting in traffic. It's just "automatic to us". Driving a stick is more fun. Even in traffic.
+1. I don't care about traffic. It's not an issue to me. If anything, the only bad side to having a manual is if you live in a place that has a bunch of hills. A place that has a lot of bumper to bumper traffic is not an issue.

So I say, get a manual. If you get a heavy PP and a pucked clutch, you'll also be working out your left leg so you can start ninja kicking people you don't like.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
i love my auto bc:

a) not really good at driving stick

b) i need both hands to light my ganja in my glass pipe

Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by cremaster
i love my auto bc:

a) not really good at driving stick

b) i need both hands to light my ganja in my glass pipe
That's what knees are for. Use the knees to keep the car on the road while you are 'distracted'. go with the portable vape. No messy lighters.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Guys I got the car this morning, and I'm already pretty good. Is it safe to go from 4th gear to 2nd? I went from fourth to neutral, slowed down to about 10mp and switched it to second. Does this damage the engine? Thanks

Old 12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
No. It's fine as long as you're in the correct gear.

I tend to always stay in gear and not leave it sitting in neutral.

Edit: wow that was fast. Grats on the car. Make a thread and post pics. Let's see it!

Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Shogun021
Guys I got the car this morning, and I'm already pretty good. Is it safe to go from 4th gear to 2nd? I went from fourth to neutral, slowed down to about 10mp and switched it to second. Does this damage the engine? Thanks
Congrats on our purchase. Regarding 4th to 2nd, it depends. As long as you didn't redline it too much, you should be safe.

People downshift all the time. I know a couple people who own automatics that shifted from d3 to reverse. LOL They eventually F'd up their tranny.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get a manual or auto?