G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Should I get a manual or auto?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a manual or auto?

Hello I'm about to get a g35, should I get an auto or 6spd manual? I know the 6mt is much quicker. But I don't know how to drive manual:/. Is it easy to learn? I live in orange county somewhat traffic .

Old 12-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
I wouldn't say much quicker. My preference is manual but choose what you feel will suit your needs. Learning to drive manual is fairly easy. Try to practice on someones cars prior to your purchase.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g-spot/...-drive-mt.html

Old 12-27-2010, 02:54 AM
Thank you for your comment. I actually would love a manual. I'm just scared I'll f*** up the cluth, or not be able to learn.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:55 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Manual for sure! Unless you drive alot in bumper to bumper, Manual is the way to go.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:58 AM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Take a drive in a buddies car and have them teach you in an empty lot and just practice, practice, practice. Read the thread I linked above. Once you get the feel for the clutch and its mechanics you should be good to go on just about any car.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ask yourself if you want to shift gears all the time. I went from 5AT to 6MT, it's fun sometimes but I don't really have a preference for one over the other.

As far as learning, don't worry about messing up the clutch unless you plan on buying an older G35 with a substantial number of miles on it already. And as far as not being 'able' to learn stick, most of the world outside of the US drive stick, I'm sure you will be fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you have one leg, manual. So much more fun...I have a feeling you will regret buying an auto IMO...lol

Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MANUAL
had i bought my car myself, it'd be 6MT but my parents paid for it back when i was in HS so i guess auto was a fair compromise

i'd definitely go for the 6MT, after driving the 5AT around for almost 3 yrs i'm sick of it...my next car is gonna have 3 pedals

Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Try learning to drive a manual transmission before you make your decision. Driving a manual just isn't for everyone. I would be pretty unhappy in an automatic, but that doesn't mean you will be too, so don't shell out a crap load of cash before you know for sure. Good luck either way though, post pics when you get one.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I don't think i've ever heard of anyone that hasn't been able to learn to drive a manual. Besides once you've learned you will never be faced with this situation again. Depending on the type of vehicles you purchase in the future you'll have the option to buy whatever you feel is appropriate.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Tian
Take a drive in a buddies car and have them teach you in an empty lot and just practice, practice, practice. Read the thread I linked above. Once you get the feel for the clutch and its mechanics you should be good to go on just about any car.
Best advice....^....you'll ever get! Even if you don't buy a MT it never hurts to have the knowledge/ability. My Dad taught me when I bought my first ride when I was 16 along with a lot more like common sence....
Gary

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
if you have to ask get auto

Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Saying that the 6MT is faster really depends on who's driving it. If you don't know how or when to shift properly the auto just might be quicker regardless of the manual having a few more ponies. BTW, I have a 6MT. My wife thinks it's hot when I shift through the gears. You'll never hear "Oh baby when you select "D", I GO WILD".

Old 12-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Well, for me i have auto, and that's because i was always in traffic coming form SD to LA. I hate traffic. But now that i live in LA kind of wish i had manual. I am not on the free as much. Learning to drive manual will be fun to learn and then you'll just want a manual. I say go with the manual.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by plonka
Saying that the 6MT is faster really depends on who's driving it. If you don't know how or when to shift properly the auto just might be quicker regardless of the manual having a few more ponies. BTW, I have a 6MT. My wife thinks it's hot when I shift through the gears. You'll never hear "Oh baby when you select "D", I GO WILD".

I have had manual transmissions in other cars, but ended up with the 5AT because I wanted something I could still drive when injured. I had a broken wrist, that would have made driving a stick almost impossible. As for learning how to drive a stick, lots of good advice. Find a friend with a car you can practice in. A stick is not very fun in stop/go traffic, but when you want to go through the gears and stay in the sweet spot, it can't be beat. Learning how to drive a manual transmission should not be a problem. With about 20 minutes of practice you should have a good hang of the process. From there it will just take more time and practice. Each car will be a bit different, but the basic mechanics are the same, just a little different 'feel' with a different weight of clutch/different friction zone. Practice starting on a hill/driveway(after you understand the starts from level ground), and get the car so you can just sit in one position with no feet on the brakes(one on gas, other on clutch) keeping it in the friction zone. Once you know this spot, you'll just have to get muscle memory to get to that exact spot each time. Be careful practicing to not over-rev the engine(over 3k is way too much) as this will burn a clutch out quickly. You can always cheat with the e brake, but you probably won't need to do that much after you've practiced.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get a manual or auto?