G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Cold Starts, whining noise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Cold Starts, whining noise?

Hey guys, thought I'd share a recent experience I had. Went to a Nissan dealer for a "cheaper than infiniti dealer" oil change. They quoted me 59.99 for synthetic even when I asked about my 6cyl, 5 liter of oil needs, but when i picked it up they added $5 for the extra quart of oil above and beyond their "typical 4 quart engines." Jerks.

Anyway, they also told me my antifreeze was at 0 deg F. It was 10-15 degrees for the lows that week, so I told them I'd take my chances. I checked the weather and knew it was going to be -13F this morning when I turned the key, so I made sure to get it checked somewhere else on friday of last week.

The tech showed me the Hydrometer (i think thats what its called) and my antifreeze was bright green and very clear and clean. It was testing at -45 F. I wanted to share my savings and help others avoid this wintertime scam. Ask to see the tech draw the antifreeze and see the hydrometer.

Just a quick question while I'm at it. Is it normal in very cold weather (-10 and below) to be unable to start the first time? The second time, the car made a terrible whining noise that started to fade. I thought the key was stuck in the starter position, so i turned it one click back, but it was actually in the on position and I turned the engine off. When I started it the third time, the whine was very quiet and then faded away quickly. Other than flat spots in my tires and very, very slushy clutch and shifter movements, it was fine and heated up normally (though slowly). Is this cause to be concerned?

Old 01-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by anynigma
Hey guys, thought I'd share a recent experience I had. Went to a Nissan dealer for a "cheaper than infiniti dealer" oil change. They quoted me 59.99 for synthetic even when I asked about my 6cyl, 5 liter of oil needs, but when i picked it up they added $5 for the extra quart of oil above and beyond their "typical 4 quart engines." Jerks.

Anyway, they also told me my antifreeze was at 0 deg F. It was 10-15 degrees for the lows that week, so I told them I'd take my chances. I checked the weather and knew it was going to be -13F this morning when I turned the key, so I made sure to get it checked somewhere else on friday of last week.

The tech showed me the Hydrometer (i think thats what its called) and my antifreeze was bright green and very clear and clean. It was testing at -45 F. I wanted to share my savings and help others avoid this wintertime scam. Ask to see the tech draw the antifreeze and see the hydrometer.

Just a quick question while I'm at it. Is it normal in very cold weather (-10 and below) to be unable to start the first time? The second time, the car made a terrible whining noise that started to fade. I thought the key was stuck in the starter position, so i turned it one click back, but it was actually in the on position and I turned the engine off. When I started it the third time, the whine was very quiet and then faded away quickly. Other than flat spots in my tires and very, very slushy clutch and shifter movements, it was fine and heated up normally (though slowly). Is this cause to be concerned?
check your belts...

Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had the same problem. replaced my belt. still have the whining noise.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Codey
had the same problem. replaced my belt. still have the whining noise.
See if you can add drop of oil in the bearings of all the pulleys that the belts go around.. do one at a time and see if there is a change.. then you will know which bearing is going.. I use the dip stick to drop oil drop... worth a try.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that'll be a major pain in the ***. it only does it when you're revving in gear, clutch out. at least in my situation.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
I've literally never heard it before, and it did not happen today. It really seemed like a function of the very cold (-13 F) start. I'm thinking its probably normal, unless someone else has another idea?

Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
being unable to start first time (or very slow/rough start) first time could be battery issue. Had to replace my battery this week.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You're dealing with some pretty brutal temperatures. If there was any wind what so ever you were even colder then -13 below. It's normal. Every car I've ever owned has sounded like it was in pain when it was first turned on in that kind of weather/temperatures. Once it warms back up into the high teen's to low 20's you shouldn't hear it anymore. It's just a part of winter driving. If it continues however once the temperatures are more stable and in the 20's and 30's you may want to have it checked though, but at -13, I'd say thats normal.